Wiki Posts
Search

Solo South Africa Safari Feb 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold

I am going to Johannesburg for work in February. After I am done working I would like to take a couple of days for a safari. I was looking at Kruger National Park as the destination.

In most of my reading, it seems that I would have to pay a solo supplement for any planned type of safari. I am pretty adventurous and would be willing to stay in a tent, but as far as game drives I would rather have someone else drive as they will probably know the park better. Does anyone have recommendations of where to stay?

I would like something no more than 200 USD per day (2400 ZAR)
It would be for 3 or so nights
Is it possible to stay in a tent (not at a resort), but still do organized game drives?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out affordable lodges in the contiguous APNR (Association of Private Nature Reserves).

Options in the Klaserie and the Timbavati that come to mind:

- Shindzela
- Gomo Gomo
- Africa on Foot / Nthambo

Ngala (on the Kruger boundary next to Orpen/Chalon) often do "stay X pay for Y" specials.

All can be reached by flying to HDS.

Johan
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Check out affordable lodges in the contiguous APNR (Association of Private Nature Reserves).

Options in the Klaserie and the Timbavati that come to mind:

- Shindzela
- Gomo Gomo
- Africa on Foot / Nthambo

Ngala (on the Kruger boundary next to Orpen/Chalon) often do "stay X pay for Y" specials.

All can be reached by flying to HDS.

Johan
Thanks for the response. I will look into them.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I did pay more at the safari lodge as a solo but since I used points for the airfare I was ok to be at a luxury lodge in Sabi sand - my travel agent was Rhino Africa and they have a myriad of options at all price levels. My agent was Nikki and met her at the NY times travel show she is based in Capetown.
That said look on tripadvisor at Cashan Private tours as he will take you to Kruger and camp etc. I did a private Johannesburg tour before my flight home as had a day. He was great to deal with and made trip memorable as I first thought I might be weird with just me and guide but wasn't.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Check with Intrepid Travel, Nomad Africa or African Budget Safaris.
Join a group. It will cut down costs and hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.