Search

Joburg and up

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:48 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Joburg and up

I have about 9 days inland flying into Joburg. I'm wanting to try to hit Botswana and Victoria Falls - How could this be achieved? Can kill Botswana for Cape Town (Been there before, father hasn't).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
JNB to VFA is easily done. BA (Comair) flies this route and there are obviously other choices too.

From VFA you can easily be driven to Botswana - it's about 80km and normal taxis will do this. There are various transfer options to Chobe for example. Here's an example of going from Botswana to Vic Falls for about USD $120. The reverse journey (VFA to Botswana) is more or less the same price.

Do note that Zimbabwe requires visas for just about everyone and that the visas are pretty expensive. Most passport holders can buy a visa on arrival but you will need exact change in USD. It's a slow but painless process to buy a visa at VFA.

Another option is to fly in to Livingstone on the Zambia side instead. If you do this, you will need a Yellow Fever shot to get back to South Africa.

Last edited by RCyyz; Jan 4, 2015 at 6:57 pm
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Cool, ty for info, the yellow fever thing is pretty big.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Cool, ty for info, the yellow fever thing is pretty big.
The yellow fever vac is good for ten years, and is worthwhile. It might even get extended to lifetime by the time you'd be due a next one.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I have about 9 days inland flying into Joburg. I'm wanting to try to hit Botswana and Victoria Falls - How could this be achieved? Can kill Botswana for Cape Town (Been there before, father hasn't).
Avios is a great redemption to VFA or LVL 4500/pts each way. Just was in VFA/LVL for the start of an overland adventure.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Joburg and up

All is easy to do - I had Capetown travel agent arrange all details for me and worked like clockwork. I flew JNB to Kasane Botswana switched to bush plane to fly into Oddball Camp (3 nights) - amazing walking safari and mokoro boats. From there I flew to Chobe (2 nights) for land and boat safari. Transferred by bus to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and stayed at Elephant Camp (2 nights) From there shuttle to Zambia Livingstone to fly to Kruger. photos/reviews on my blog - same as user name
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I have a little better plans laid out.

Day 1: JNB Airport at 5:30PM - stay in Jberg that night
Day 2: Open
Day 3: Open
Day 4: Open
Day 5: Open
Day 6: Open
Day 7: CPT
Day 8: CPT
Day 9: CPT Train to JNB Sleeper
Day 10: Train arrives at 12:00 - flight at 8:30PM (enough leeway?)

I'm not much on staying anywhere near JNB for the most part - I'm either thinking getting a rental car and driving to sites and then taking the BOZ Bus along the coast? I'd like to try to visit Lesotho or - somehow be able to hit another country or two (Vic Falls maybe? Botswana? Swaziland? Safari - any ideas to try to make this part happen? - or should I stick to heading east, do the Safari's that way and try to make a run to Swaziland while safaring and detour to a quick day/night in Lesotho?

Any help is much appreciated! Making the most out of the EY mistake fare.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:29 am

Mozambique is far more interesting than Swaziland and/or Lesotho; have you considered that.

Even if you're going to do nothing more intrepid than hanging out in Maputo, it's pretty good. And if you're up for something more intrepid, the options are staggering.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Updated:

Day 1: JNB Airport at 5:30PM - Hilton
Day 2: Safari Day Tour Krug - Hilton
Day 3: Joberg and Soweto Tour - ? where to? Moz, Swaz, Port Elizabeth? Transit Options?
Day 7: Wine Country / CPT
Day 8: Shark Diving - Coastal
Day 9: Table Mountain - La Columbe
Day 10: 5:45AM Flight to JNB
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
Mozambique is far more interesting than Swaziland and/or Lesotho; have you considered that.

Even if you're going to do nothing more intrepid than hanging out in Maputo, it's pretty good. And if you're up for something more intrepid, the options are staggering.
I'm reading US visas are annoying and they turn US peeps around and I don't think I have enough time to get one arranged ahead of time at this point.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The last time I was in SA, I drove to Swaziland and was amazed at the beauty there. I basically did it to check off another country, but I did love it.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:29 am

Updated:

Day 1: JNB Airport at 5:30PM - Hilton
Day 2: Safari Day Tour Krug - Hilton
Day 3: Joberg and Soweto Tour - ? where to? Moz, Swaz, Port Elizabeth? Transit Options?
Day 7: Wine Country / CPT
Day 8: Shark Diving - Coastal
Day 9: Table Mountain - La Columbe
Day 10: 5:45AM Flight to JNB
Keep your options open. If you wake and it's a clear day around Table Mountain then go. If you leave to the last day and it's cloudy (which it often is) you are stuffed.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Am I reading right that you plan a day tour from Jo'burg to Kruger? And do you have a flight booked to CPT for 'day 7'? What time of year will you be arriving?

I would say, if you are going to bother spending the time and money 'doing' a safari, you are best off overnighting within the Park. This is because the first hour of daylight is the best for seeing the predators. If you want to experience a safari, I would recommend at least 3-4 nights. If you just want a quick look around, you might be better off doing a day from JNB to Pilanesburg (less travel time) or do Addo NP near Port Elizabeth which has huge numbers of elephant and other grazers and will give you a nice introduction.

Your itinerary could have a lot of driving involved, so you wouldn't have much time to actually experience much. Depending on your interests, you could drive to Kruger, have 2 nights there, then through Swaziland back to Durban for flights on to Cape Town. Or you could drive south from Jo'burg to the zulu battlefields and the Drakensburg mountains, and Lesotho. Or you could easily spend the 3 'open' days travelling from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. We spent 14 days around the Western Cape and felt we missed out loads. But I like nature and wildlife; YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.