Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

8 Days in South Africa: Garden Route + Addo or Kruger?

8 Days in South Africa: Garden Route + Addo or Kruger?

Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Quick plug for Kwandwe. Don't have enough time right now for full explanation. But, love the place. Great people. Gotten better over time. Quick search on FT would bring up my other comments re: same. IMHO - Perfect way to end a Garden Route trip. CPT-STB/Franschoek-Garden Route-Kwandwe.
I'll second this. I got lots of feedback here before my trip and cannot say enough good things about Kwandwe. It was truly a magical place.

I intended to do a full trip report - but that proved to be more time consuming than I could manage. If you would like some photos and info on Kwandwe feel free to PM and I will answer any questions and share some of our photos.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
We did Kwandwe Ecca Lodge for Christmas one year. Had a great time there. Do not regret it choosing it.

The luxury level is the close to Singita but is less formal which we prefer. Its more akin the Singita Lebombo. Have said that, the animals (big 5) do throw themselves at you around the Singita area so you cannot beat the experience. Ecca Lodge has good viewing but you have to be somewhat more patient like a good hunter. The scenary of the area is fantastic. We were very fortunate as a Swedish family took up all the villas apart from ours. So we had our own jeep and driver since the family wanted to stay together for their drive.

I did wake up one morning baffled to find a sunbed in the pool and another beyond the decking area. We must have been visited by baboons since we definitely did not party ourselves that night. All outdoor furniture was back in its space when we returned from our morning drive. So yes, you are definitely in the wild despite the luxurious surroundings.

It is drivable from Port Elizabeth or you can fly (we were taken in a 3 seater plane (pilot, my partner in the front passenger seat and me in the back seat). Now that was an experience. We got the lodge to arrange for a private car to take our bags by road from the airport to the lodge.

Last edited by KenJohn; Feb 10, 2015 at 8:51 am
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenJohn
I did wake up one morning baffled to find a sunbed in the pool and another beyond the decking area.
For reasons of sheer self-preservation, baboons spend the hours of darkness safely ensconsed in big trees or on cliff faces. So unless ou slept in, or they were up and about at the crack of dawn; frisky, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, another species is likely to have been guilty of this heinous crime.

Johan
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN
Since I started this thread, I thought about giving a brief summary of our 10 days in South Africa:

4 days in Cape Town
1 Night in Swellendam: De Kloof Luxury Estate - Excellent guesthouse
1 Night at Oubaai Golf Hotel
2 Nights in Plettenberg: The Plettenberg Hotel - can't beat the location and service. Luxury Garden Rooms have best value for money.
2 Nights at Amahkala Game Reserve - Bush Lodge: http://www.amakhala.co.za/lodges/2-bush-lodge

About the Safari:
Amahkala is a very large Private Game Reserve only 45 minutes from Port Elizabeth airport along the N2 highway. Bush Lodge is one of the two 5 stars accommodations and while it probably does not get to the luxury of Singita it also comes at one third of the price. We had our own very knowledgeable and fun ranger for the entire stay and got to see all big 5 and then some. I would recommend Amahkala and especially the Bush Lodge for all those looking for an "easy" Safari experience at the end of the Garden Route and for those looking for a very good quality accommodation at a fraction of the price of the most famous locations around Krugar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.