Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya in February: Advice Requested

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow $800 is pricey. The usual chain hotels like IC, CP or Hilton, etc., are much cheaper even if you book a club room. And if you have elite status then that part is free. And if you rent a car, that takes care of all the transfers.

I just googled "car hire Nairobi" and came up with a bunch of alternative listings. Here is a family run operation. http://www.carhirekenya.com/aboutus.html
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
Wow $800 is pricey. The usual chain hotels like IC, CP or Hilton, etc., are much cheaper even if you book a club room. And if you have elite status then that part is free. And if you rent a car, that takes care of all the transfers.
Exactly; and I would not be surprised if there was a place where I can interact with giraffes for significantly less money.
I just googled "car hire Nairobi" and came up with a bunch of alternative listings. Here is a family run operation. http://www.carhirekenya.com/aboutus.html
I might look into that as one of my options.

Thank you, stimpy.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Also you should probably buy a 4G sim so you can use Google maps to navigate. Unless you have an unlimited roaming plan.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

He may be able to hire a private driver for about the same as the car alone. My wife and I booked a 3-night stay with driver at Kikuyu Lodge for $680. Included airport transfers and driving to all manner of places. Not to mention marvelous food!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Someone recommended Nomad Tours — specifically this tour for $756.00 for four days — which fits perfectly in the time I will be in Kenya.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I searched on FlyerTalk but found no information; and TripAdvisor was not all that helpful...
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
He may be able to hire a private driver for about the same as the car alone. My wife and I booked a 3-night stay with driver at Kikuyu Lodge for $680. Included airport transfers and driving to all manner of places. Not to mention marvelous food!
Do you have any additional information about hiring the private driver? Were there many photographic opportunities? Did you see plenty of wildlife?

I am interested...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Someone recommended Nomad Tours — specifically this tour for $756.00 for four days — which fits perfectly in the time I will be in Kenya.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I searched on FlyerTalk but found no information; and TripAdvisor was not all that helpful...Do you have any additional information about hiring the private driver? Were there many photographic opportunities? Did you see plenty of wildlife?

I am interested...
We did more of a "greatest hits" of the Nairobi area. If we did it again, I think I'd more-specifically hit up wildlife areas beyond places like Hells Gate (which is interesting, but more of a hiker's paradise than anything else). Do not consider the "Safari Walk" in Nairobi! What a total rip-off; basically an overpriced zoo with staff that manipulates you for hefty tips (taking you on special "off limits" tours).

We did the "real" Safari thing in Tanzania, but Trevor can certainly set something up with similar photo opportunities in Kenya. I brought a Tamron 150-600 with an APS-C crop camera, and used every millimeter of that lens at times.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:40 am

If you like, look up BONFIRE ADVENTURES on Facebook. They have an offer of 19,999Kshs (about $220) for 3 days and 2 nights includes all meals, transport, game drives and accommodation in (A slightly outdated) 5 star hotel. Only extra would be tips, drinks and entry fees of $70 per day. The Keekorok lodge is amazing and you will see wildlife right outside your room. We used them for our Christmas package and werent disappointed. Maybe you can take up a 5 day package and request to be picked up straight from the airport? You can also ask to join NAIROBI EXPAT TRAVEL on facebook for good deals for expats.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Bonfire and I will not collect a commission from them.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firstclasser
If you like, look up BONFIRE ADVENTURES on Facebook. They have an offer of 19,999Kshs (about $220) for 3 days and 2 nights includes all meals, transport, game drives and accommodation in (A slightly outdated) 5 star hotel. Only extra would be tips, drinks and entry fees of $70 per day. The Keekorok lodge is amazing and you will see wildlife right outside your room. We used them for our Christmas package and werent disappointed. Maybe you can take up a 5 day package and request to be picked up straight from the airport? You can also ask to join NAIROBI EXPAT TRAVEL on facebook for good deals for expats.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Bonfire and I will not collect a commission from them.
Thank you, Firstclasser.

I am not a member of Facebook. Does this company have an Internet web site I can access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.