Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa in April/May or July?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

South Africa in April/May or July?

I am planning a 2 week trip to South Africa and wanted to get some opinions on timing. The two options that are available to us are last week of April+first week of May, or middle of July.

From what I've read, Cape Town is better in April/May, but safaris are better in July. We had friends who were in Cape Town in July and could not get to Robben Island because the ferry was closed due to bad weather. Is this a frequent occurrence? Is the safari significantly better in July vs April/May? Which would you choose? Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:56 pm

My preference is April/May, a little less cold, a little better weather especially for Cape Town activities. As for safaris there is less vegetation in July, but it is all really luck anyway and had my best safari for spottings in a February. My one word of advice is to look up South Africa school holidays and avoid those weeks like the plague.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by industry_killer
My one word of advice is to look up South Africa school holidays and avoid those weeks like the plague.
I'll second that, especially for those intending to visit National Parks.

Johan
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Checkmate – I have been to Africa over 35 times including safaris in the Kruger ecosystem in March, April, May, June & July. It would be a very general statement to say that July offers a better safari. When the rains end in Feb/Mar there is abundant temporary water all over the landscape which allows the animals to disperse. Also, at the end of the rainy season/summer there is taller grass and more leaves on the trees. In general, as the landscape dries, the animals have to concentrate around permanent water like the Sand and Sabi River that flow through or on the borders of the Sabi Sands and Kruger National Park. Also, with less vegetation and short/dead grass you can see further in the bush. But, if there is a cold snap in July and your morning temperatures are in the 32-40F range the animals will not be very active and that could mitigate any water related advantage July might have.

If it was me and Cape Town was also part of the plan I would go in April or the first half of May. April is usually beautiful in Cape Town and the weather on safari will be mild. You can expect 55-60F in the morning and 70-80 in the day with no rain and possibly no clouds on safari. The end of April will be cooler.

For a 6-7 day safari I recommend a safari lodge in an unfenced game reserve in the Kruger ecosystem for the first camp. In generally increasing order of price here are some options.

1. Nottens, Tand Tula, Shindzela, Kambaku, Ngala
2. Lion Sands River, Mala Mala Main
3. Lion Sands Narinin, Tinga, Tintswalo
4. MalaMala Rattrays, Lion Sands Ivory
5. Singita Ebony or Boulders or Royal Malewane

For you second safari lodge, pick one of the lodges in the Madikwe Game Reserve or Mashatu or Tswalu or Phinda or Marataba. All of these lodges are far away from the Kruger and will give you diversity in flora and fauna. The ultimate choice may come down to budget and what lodge you choose in the Kruger. For example, Ngala and Phinda have the same owner and therefore multi-night package discounts available through your preferred safari tour operator. MalaMala and Mashatu have the same owner. Lion Sands River and Madikwe Kopano have the same owner. I could go on and on with this.

I have been to most of these places so shout if you have a specific question as I check this forum and will try to reply.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
2011-2014 Travel & Leisure A-List Africa Agent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.