Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel chain in Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, SAA Voyager Gold, Expedia+ Gold
Best hotel chain in Africa?

I have a new job and will be travelling frequently to CKY (Conakry), ABJ (Abidjan), LOS (Lagos), FCT (Abuja), ENU (Enugu), KAN (Kano), PHC (Port Harcourt), KGL (Kigali), LAD (Luanda), JNB (Or Tambo), MRU (Mauritius), LUN (Lusaka), SEZ (Seychelles), TNR (Antananarrivo), DXB (Dubai), BAH (Bahrain) and LHR/LGW (London). Far less frequently I will visit CPT (Cape Town), MAN (Manchester), GLW (Glasgow), BKK (Bangkok), ICN (Seoul) and GIG (Rio de Janeiro).

Given that I will spend a few nights a year at hotels, I have looked at hotel chain loyalty programmes and see that Africa is poorly covered. Luanda, Abidjan and Antananarrivo appear to have few, if any, chains.

Whilst Hilton has a couple of hotels here and there in Africa, Marriott seems to be the chain with most African coverage due to its acquisition of Protea. But it is still hardly pan-African coverage and outside of RSA is very poor.

Is there a smaller, unheard of chain, that beats Marriott or Hilton or do I just have to accept that most nights in places like Abidjan I can't earn points?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by africahand
I have a new job and will be travelling frequently to CKY (Conakry), ABJ (Abidjan), LOS (Lagos), FCT (Abuja), ENU (Enugu), KAN (Kano), PHC (Port Harcourt), KGL (Kigali), LAD (Luanda), JNB (Or Tambo), MRU (Mauritius), LUN (Lusaka), SEZ (Seychelles), TNR (Antananarrivo), DXB (Dubai), BAH (Bahrain) and LHR/LGW (London). Far less frequently I will visit CPT (Cape Town), MAN (Manchester), GLW (Glasgow), BKK (Bangkok), ICN (Seoul) and GIG (Rio de Janeiro).

Given that I will spend a few nights a year at hotels, I have looked at hotel chain loyalty programmes and see that Africa is poorly covered. Luanda, Abidjan and Antananarrivo appear to have few, if any, chains.

Whilst Hilton has a couple of hotels here and there in Africa, Marriott seems to be the chain with most African coverage due to its acquisition of Protea. But it is still hardly pan-African coverage and outside of RSA is very poor.

Is there a smaller, unheard of chain, that beats Marriott or Hilton or do I just have to accept that most nights in places like Abidjan I can't earn points?
You're not going to find a lot of chain hotels in places like Port Harcourt. There is a Protea in Lekki near Lagos. Bahrain, Seoul, Bangkok all those kinds of places have Marriotts.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:39 pm

I don't believe there's one perfect solution, but Accor (Novotel, Ibis, etc.) may serve you well
http://www.accorhotels.com/hotel-dir...els-africa.htm
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Using a reward program like Hotels.com has might be your best bet at gaining from your rentals.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'd say the x% benefit from attempting to stay in one chain (Protea and Hilton would be your best bets) would be far outweighed by simply picking a hotel in each city you go to and stay there (and if you're there often, tell the Sales Director you are doing so).
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Africa Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.