Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Best budget destination in Africa for 1st timers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best budget destination in Africa for 1st timers?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by AJCU
I spent 6 weeks in Southern Africa this summer. I took an overland trip, because it is the easiest way to see Southern Africa. Our guides said Eastern Africa is more expensive. All of my friends that continued to Eastern Africa agreed, because they wanted more US Dollars. With that, I would suggest Southern Africa. It is pretty darn easy to get around, and an amazing country.
You mean the country of South Africa?

The relative expense of any African country depends hugely on where you go and what you do.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheFerret
You should be able to do Jo-burg but you will need Malaria preventatives to go to Kruger.
No you won't.

This issue had been debated to death on here, so I won't rehash all the arguments, but the chance of getting malaria in Kruger is infinitesimally small. I'm just back from four weeks in Lowveld game reserves, I don't think I heard or saw more than two mosquitos. And yes, this is the rainy season.

As usual, the subject came up regularly in conversation with lodge guests. Several of them who were suffering from malaria meds side effects stopped tacking them immediately once they found out that lodge staff and other permanent residents in the area never take any prophylactics. [/QUOTE]

Johan
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJCU
Just to agree, Namibia was the most incredible place I have been.
Originally Posted by Thalassa
Namibia has some amazing and unique scenery and nature. It is also a place where you can safely self-drive and even camp. Sossusvlei
I'll second that, Namibia is breathtakingly beautiful. It looks at its best at the end of a good rainy season, i.e. roundabout March. Good rainy seasons of course do not occur every year.

Johan
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Flu, Hep A, Typhus, Yellow Fever... I think those are going to be a good idea for starters.
I don't. Yellow Fever is a condition for entry in certain countries, depending on where you are coming from. As for the rest . . . well, I you are going to spend all your time in a crowded township shack without any sanitation it might be a good idea, but if you are mainly on the tourist circuit I wouldn't worry about it.

Johan
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Originally Posted by Sabasi
You mean the country of South Africa?

The relative expense of any African country depends hugely on where you go and what you do.
I was in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe. All of which were fairly inexpensive, except Zimbabwe, due to the USD. Zambia was a bit more than the other countries as well.

On a side note, Morocco was mentioned by OP.I have been to Morocco as well, and would say it is more "Middle Eastern" than true Africa. But that is me.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:50 am

None of which are in eastern Africa. Zimbabwe is still a basket case.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Sabasi
None of which are in eastern Africa. Zimbabwe is still a basket case.
Zimbabwe is a wonderful and beautiful country, with fantastic friendly people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.