Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Help me convince my mom to go to Namibia!

Help me convince my mom to go to Namibia!

Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We used Avios for our flight from Jo-burg to Windhoek. And I think we used UA miles for a flight from Swakopmund to Capetown.
We did the same, but the return flight to CPT on SAA was actually from Walvis Bay, not from Swakopmund. Use of miles on that segment is good (it used to be even better before the UA devaluation) as the fare can be quite high. And actually, with a modest amount of flexibility and some early planning, award tkts on that flight are surprisingly not that hard to get.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:31 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jiaotze
We did the same, but the return flight to CPT on SAA was actually from Walvis Bay, not from Swakopmund.
You're right, that was the airport. It's tiny and only opens shortly before the flight. It's like going back 30 or 40 years to how airports used to be. And God forbid that you want your tax rebate documentation processed there. We did but it was deemed incorrect on being sent to Windhoek, so no refund for us.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 11, 2014 at 8:47 am
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Funny you should mention the tax refund. The person who handles the refund paperwork was late the day we were there. We were whisked into a separate room just as our flight started boarding to fill out the documents. Everyone was super nice and said our refund (which really wasn't much in the scheme of things) would be forthcoming in a month or two.

A couple of months later I get an email from them saying that they couldn't read one of the numbers on my credit card and needed me to resend it. Again, a lovely, personal letter. It's been three months since and nary a refund to my card.

We did a scenic flight previously during our trip, but if one doesn't do one, taking that SAA flight offers some great views over the dunes heading south.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Yes, I was attempting to check on those but wouldn't you know, BA's website is down and can't search for award seats. Shocker!

Anyway, I just got off the phone with my mom. She is amenable to part Namibia, part Kruger (or private reserves near Kruger), which I think should satisfy both parties as well as simplify the flight logistics.
This is a great choice. If I had to pick one and only one safari in Africa (or at least southern Africa) it is undoubtedly Kruger.
Namibia is an attractive contrast and, although I was lucky enough to spot the big 5, Etosha is in my opinion less suitable for a senior traveller.
When in SA, if time permits, the Addo park in the Eastern Cape is unbeatable for terrific elephants spotting.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Well, it's all booked. We're going to spend a total of 9 nights in SA (split between somewhere in/near Kruger at the beginning, and Cape Town at the end of the trip) and 11 nights in Namibia. We'll skip Etosha and just do more desert and coastal stuff in Namibia, I think. I think she will get her animal fix.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've been to Etosha twice in the last four years not as part of a paid tourist safari but in connection with a work project. We saw it like locals, driving around in a car on our own with a bag of biltong and cooler filled with Hansa.

My first visit in January during the rainy season was somewhat disappointing seeing only plains game, giraffe and one rhino. However, going in June when it was dry we saw elephants, rhinos and lions along with the more common animals.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We just returned from Namibia and really enjoyed it. It was our second Africa trip. The first was to South Africa Botswana and Vic Falls. I think you h a very a good combination with Kruger and Namibia. The distances are pretty big in Namibia so think about how you will getc from place to place and how much time you want to spend getting there as opposed to activities.. The dunes are south and the other interesting sites are north. The dunes are not for everyone, my so didn't love them, but our traveling partners loved climbing the dunes and sleeping outside under the amazing star lit sky. It's real Africa just different than maybe the preconcieved notion of what a safari is supposed to be. Safari is about journey not just animals and being in and a part of the wide open spaces was part of the experience for me. We were in damara land with rhino trackers and working to find one was a great way to spend the day. We also went to etosha and did see a fair amount of lions. We were on a reserve next to EtoSha where we could leave the vehicle to see rhino. And as a contrast, Capetown great city. Don't miss wine country and the Cape.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Thanks, worldiswide. I think my mom will get a good trip. After a few flight change decisions, we're going to do 5 nights around Kruger, 16 nights in Namibia, and then 4 nights in Cape Town/wine country. The Namibia part will mostly be up north. We'll spend 2 nights down around Sossusvlei, then 2 in Swakopmund to kayak in Walvis Bay, then head north to Damaraland, Twyfelfontein, Kakaoland etc. before returning to Windhoek. It is shaping up to be a very good (although rather long!) trip. I would have liked to do 3-3.5 weeks rather than 4, but this is what BA's award availability got me. We are going pretty much the whole way in CW/business, which is quite amazing.

I've been to all of the SA destinations multiple times so for me it will be a repeat, but fun to show my mom. The Namibia portion will be new for me, and I am really looking forward to the different landscapes. And I cannot wait to see those desert elephants!

It may be a bit chilly at night in Namibia in late May, but I certainly prefer that to the alternative!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Keep us posted on how the trip shapes up. What kind of accommodation are you looking at in Namibia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.