Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Garden Route Accommodation: Private vs SANPARKs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank

Hi all,

I am looking at self-drive along the Garden Route in August 20-15. At this stage from one way from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. For 3-4 nights with a further 3-4 nights in Cape Town.

I am just starting to look at accommodation along here and am interested in people's thoughts on whether it is better to stay in some of the SANPARKs vs say B&B style accommodation.

SANPARK:

• Storms River Mouth
    Algulhas National Park
    Bontebok National Park

There is also Addo National Park, but we will be staying in many National Parks elsewhere in southern Africa during our 6 weeks. So for this part of the trip scenery is our priority over wildlife viewing (apart from the whales!!)

Due to whale-spotting we would look to at least drive through Hermanus, even if we do not spend 1 night in the region.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: BA BD SA
The Storms River Mouth camp is in a really beautiful setting. Apart from the fact that there are bungalows I have no idea what the quality of the accommodations is like as it has been ages since I was there. (I've also been to the Bontebok N. Park but can't even remember whether we stayed there!) In general Sanparks camps tend to be spartan though very clean and very good value. You may have to self cater so do check what dining facilities are available.

Well, so far so not very helpful I guess. But I would recommend that if you do go the B&B route you look at Greenwood Guides if you haven't already. They really do hunt out the gems and the descriptions are accurate.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Although I've stayed in many B&Bs and hotels, I've only stayed at Sanparks accommodation at Addo - the one you don't want so can only generalise.

Advantages of Sanparks:
  • accommodation on site (we enjoyed the rondavels)
  • very handy for early and late game drives

Advantages of B&Bs/hotels:
  • wider and more flexible choice
  • good breakfast likely to be included in the price

The disadvantage at Sanparks, at least at Addo, was the single restaurant, likely to be more expensive than elsewhere, and the probable lack of Pick'n'Pay, Woolworths or other places to stock up for self catering if that's needed.

Just generalising. Whichever you choose will be great, I've had very few duds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.