Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Addo Elephant NP worth a detour?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Is Addo Elephant NP worth a detour?

I'm heading off to South Africa and Namibia for the first time later this week. As I was reserving my flights, I discovered that I could visit Port Elizabeth for a small add-on. My main targets on this trip are Cape Town and Etosha. I had not thought of Addo before, but I like the idea that Addo is very convenient to PLZ and the game viewing there is supposed to be pretty good too. I also like the idea of seeing another part of South Africa besides the area around Cape Town/Western Cape.

So, the question is, for someone who has not been to Kruger but plans to g to Etosha, is Addo worth a visit for two days?

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
For me it would be a no-brainer as I have a thing for elephants. I have visited several times since democracy broke out.

As you suggest, it's easy to get to from PE. The Park does not just include elephants, it offers much more. Check http://sanparks.org/parks/addo/

Last time I went, I took my wife, sister-in-law and her husband and we stayed 2 nights in rondavels. This gave us easy access to early and late game drives. During the day, we were able to make our own way driving through the park. It was the highlight of our stay.

Disclaimer: I haven't been to Etosha yet. Do both!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Addo is a little gem of a park. Very diverse for its small size, but it does not conform to the stereotypical African savanna-with-solitary-Acacias image. No matter, it has a lot to offer.

In the last two decades Addo has grown quite a bit. Back in the 90s I knew the ranger who then ran the place, which gave me the possibility to go on back-of-house tours, so to speak. I learnt that the farms then being added to the park were completely devoid of wildlife. The farmers had assiduously shot, trapped or poisoned anything larger than a mouse, and of course also hammered the vegetation. The new sections therefore still look very unnatural. Recovery in that part of the country is extremely slow, the vegetation will need a century or more to return to an approximation of its natural state.

Addo also has a four-seasons-in-a-day type of climate, you never quite know what you will be in for. You can spend a pleasant, warm and sunny day game viewing, but when you get on the open game viewing vehicle for the night drive you suddenly realize that the temperature is only 8°C. That kind of thing.

Nevertheless, Addo comes highly recommended.

Johan
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:24 am
Community Director Emerita

I really enjoyed Addo and would be happy to return.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm definitely going to Addo now, and since I will be in PLZ anyway, I've decided to drive to Cape Town rather than fly.

Will take the Garden Route and then visit Hermanus and Cape of Good Hope before returning the car in CPT.

Avis and Europcar offer an small automatic for about USD 500 for a weeklong rental inclusive of the one-way charge. Does this sound about right?

Also, any recommendations on the two, three or four towns to overnight at or great local restaurants to eat at along the way would be appreciated!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
We loved Addo. It is really fabulous. We stayed one night in the park and went on the evening and morning safari drives (in addition to some daytime self driving) and saw a tremendous amount and variety of animals.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mileagerunner
I'm definitely going to Addo now, and since I will be in PLZ anyway, I've decided to drive to Cape Town rather than fly.

Will take the Garden Route and then visit Hermanus and Cape of Good Hope before returning the car in CPT.
Addo was great. The Garden Route was boring. Hermanus was enjoyable, especially when whales could be seen. And I enjoyed the Cape of Good Hope, going via the penguin colony that is a half hour drive or so west of Hermanus. I thought the Garden Route would be exactly that, a succession of beautiful gardens as you sometimes find in English towns. It really was bland. I spoke to someone who drove it in the last year who had the same reaction.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The Garden Route was boring.
There is a trick to doing the Garden Route, which involves zigzagging back and forth between the coast and the Little Karoo, using the numerous spectacular mountain passes. Many of these don't carry that much traffic, so can and should be done at a leisurely pace. Zipping along the coastal freeway, stopping at all the usual tourist hotspots is not the way I should recommend.

Johan
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jackals poisoned in Addo Elephant Park

"Poisoning is behind the death of a number of jackal carcasses recently found in the in Addo Elephant National Park, SANParks has announced. This follows a toxicology report, which revealed poisoning from the carbamate pesticide, methomyl, as the cause of death is due.

SANParks’ Corporate Investigation Services unit is investigating the matter and a case has been opened with the police.

Addo Elephant National Park is offering a reward of R10 000 for information which may lead to the successful prosecution of the person/s responsible for the poisoning of 36 jackals and two crows in the park.
"

Source

Johan
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
There is a trick to doing the Garden Route, which involves zigzagging back and forth between the coast and the Little Karoo, using the numerous spectacular mountain passes. Many of these don't carry that much traffic, so can and should be done at a leisurely pace. Zipping along the coastal freeway, stopping at all the usual tourist hotspots is not the way I should recommend.

Johan
Is there a way to do this if you aren't familiar with the area? A guide book you would recommend or a resource to help plan? I'm doing the garden route in a few weeks - and I'm sure I wouldn't be comfortable straying to far from the coastal freeway without more guidance.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
You might try this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...te-advice.html

If I remember correctly (it has been awhile) the Rough Guide that I recommended there did have some discussion of little Karoo etc.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CFFrost
a resource to help plan?
The best I know of is a South African magazine called Weg! Almost every issue features a mountain pass, with a detailed map showing all the viewpoints and worthwhile stops en route, as well as distances etc. The articles provide comprensive information on when to drive, what to do, etc. Only problem is that Weg! is in Afrikaans, and the articles have not been collected and printed separately.

Weg! has an English-speaking sibling called Go!, check out their website.

The passes are generally eminently driveable in an ordinary sedan, although a vehicle with high clearance is useful in some cases. They are generally not all that long either, most can be done comfortably in a morning or afternoon.

I also just found this website. Haven't checked it out, but looks light it might be useful.

Johan
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:27 pm

When it comes to the Garden Route, I usually suggest some must reads. At the top of the list is Fiela's Child by Dalene Mathee. It's historical fiction and makes you look at the area in a different light. There's also Circles in the Forest and Mulberry Bush by the same author.

On the topic of passes (Went to school in George and lived in the Great Brak/Hartenbos area), the Outeniqua pass is always a beautiful experience. That and Meiringspoort. My mom (grew up in George) would always tell me what it was like driving through Meiringspoort in the 50s and 60s. I was a kid in the 90s so it was definitely improved by then, but now it's been improved even more with wonderful picnic sites and scenic view points.

Do get off the beaten path and don't just whizz by on the N2 on your way to Cape Town. The stretch between Glentana to Mosselbay has some fantastic beaches. It's been a while since I was there, but I remember standing on a cliff in Glentana and you could see uninterrupted beach stretch all the way to Mosselbay. It's also a major vacation hotspot, so depending on when you go, it might be empty or it might be packed.

I love the Garden Route but I can easily see how it can be categorized as boring if you just stick to the N2 without taking any detours.

But like I said, I'm biased. Living in Hartenbos and all. Now there's another interesting little "town" in the summer!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CBear
I usually suggest some must reads. At the top of the list is Fiela's Child by Dalene Mathee. It's historical fiction and makes you look at the area in a different light. There's also Circles in the Forest and Mulberry Bush by the same author.
I'll second that, although I must confess that I have not read Mulberry Bush. The fourth of Matthee's "forest" books is Toorbos (Dream Forest in English, I assume).

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.