Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian or Emirates?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Ethiopian or Emirates?

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to sub-Saharan Africa from South Asia. Prices and timings on Emirates and Ethiopian are quite similar in Economy. I am Star Gold, so leaning toward Ethiopian for lounge access and points earning. Is there reason to reconsider?

Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:03 pm

Your experience will depend heavily on the aircraft types you fly on.

Ethiopian's 757/767 fleet are crap, but their 777/787 are fine.

Emirates 777/380 fleet are great, but their 330/340 fleet are crap.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
IMO if safety comes first, avoid African carriers.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Canuck2012
IMO if safety comes first, avoid African carriers.
I think this is a bit of a crass generalisation. African carriers vary greatly, and it's not like Emirates hasn't had any incidents/close calls.

I've flown ET a number of times (though never EK) -- I enjoy the service and culture and the hospitality (well, except one looooooong flight, but we won't go there).

And I'm not sure I would agree with my friend -437B on the equipment, since you said you'll be in coach. Emirates 777s have an extra seat in every row. I would try really hard to avoid that.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Emirates 777s have an extra seat in every row. I would try really hard to avoid that.
At your size?

The EK 777s are actually not bad in Economy. Even at my size, I am perfectly comfortable in an aisle seat.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I have found ET to be less reliable then EK. Also aircraft change at last minute on ET can mean that your 787 has been swapped for a 767.

The lounges in ADD are not that great, and places like NBO have no lounge at all.

I personally would stick to EK, or even have a look at QR.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by B747-437B
At your size?
It's for my enormous broad shoulders.

I actually like the lounge in ADD -- not slick, but very warm and welcoming and great food. Roadwarrior is right about equipment changes. You can't be sure till you're at the gate.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Frequent Traveller
I found ET quite okay in terms of service (although in J). The hard product ranged from quite okay (787) to sub-par (757). Fully agree to the equipment change lottery. All my flights were actually advertised as being on the 787 and onyl due to that I agreed to try ET...

Agree that lounges in ADD are not great - but they are far better than the few crowded coffee stores. And in my few experiences, pax were excorted from the lounge to the security and then to the gate. Made things much quicker and easier...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Anyone know how the ET lounge at ADD compares to the KQ lounge at NBO? I was very underwhelmed with NBO airport when compared to JNB or CPT airports, but I heard ADD airport is even more basic than NBO.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Time traveller
Anyone know how the ET lounge at ADD compares to the KQ lounge at NBO? I was very underwhelmed with NBO airport when compared to JNB or CPT airports, but I heard ADD airport is even more basic than NBO.
NBO's temporary "lounge" is utter garbage. The Addis lounges are significantly nicer. The old (pre-fire) lounges were about the same. Overcrowded at peak hours, marginally above mediocre food and slow wifi. The new terminal lounge in NBO is supposed to be wonderful though, but check whether your flight will depart from there as things are just being phased in there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.