Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

MY 2015 AFRICA TRIP - Planes, Trains and Automobiles…..and yes wildlife too!!!

MY 2015 AFRICA TRIP - Planes, Trains and Automobiles…..and yes wildlife too!!!

Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tiki
I've been to Kruger 4 times and love the SANPARK restcamps! I don't get why people spend $1000's of dollars to stay at those fancy private lodges when there is plenty of game in the park and even in the restcamps. You can get nice cabins, there are restaurants or you can get a cabin with a kitchen or use the public BBQs (braais).
I agree Sanpark restcamps are the way to go. And if you are a golfer, the Skukuza golf course in the park with animals about is quite a rare and special treat. Sabi looks nice, but the cost is enormous compared with Sanpark.

And I too rented from Avis, getting a VW Jetta which was fine. We flew in and out of MQP which is an easy, relaxing airport near Kruger.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
I have sorted out the Kasane, Botswana, to JNB flight now. Evidently in many African Countries SAA will not accept direct credit card bookings for online bookings. CC fraud I would assume is the reason.

I rang a SAA office here in Auastralia and booked over the phone.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Sep 12, 2014 at 11:41 pm
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
I have sorted out the Kasane, Botswana, to JNB flight now. Evidently in many African Countries SAA will not accepted direct credit card bookings for online bookings. CC fraud I would assume is the reason.
You can also book with a travel agent or one of your credit cards like Amex can book for you.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
You can also book with a travel agent or one of your credit cards like Amex can book for you.
Yes that is what the SAA rep told me, that bookings are normally through a travel agent. However as she new I was in Melbourne Australia and she was in the Perth Office (SAA now only fly into Perth) she offered to do the booking for me, and then for myself to go online afterwards to pay by credit card through Manage My Booking. ie once there was a valid booking, the online CC would work.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Sep 13, 2014 at 3:14 am
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:08 am
Original Poster

With the $Aussie having dropped of late, it was good to have paid all my deposits and some payments in full before the decline occurred.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

FLIGHT UPDATE

I have now booked 2 one-way MEL to Nairobi on Eitihad in the well regarded Pearl Business Class..

I had booked originally with Qatar via QFF as those flights opened earlier and I wanted to be sure we had the flights as we have a fixed departure for our 4WD trip. So I wanted to have that all locked in.

I was always open to try swapping to Eithad, booked via VA, as taxes and points (110,000) were lower, but was hoping a bonus would come along to sweeten the deal. Availability did not open till about after a month after Qatar via QFF though, and so I thought it best to have guaranteed seats rather than missing possibly out.

Virgin have now offered a 15% bonus on credit card transfers for November 2014, and so I have moved sufficient points over from my Amex MR account to book two flights.

An effective 95,652 points and $77 in taxes each is a lot better than the 121,000 and $397 each we had paid. I am now 40,695K (Had to pay 5K each to cancel) and $640 better off.

Also not long after I made the QFF booking the second flight was put back getting into Nairobi at 1730. Eitihad and QR both leave MEL at 2255, but ET gets in at 1340. Also with the QFF flight in hand I was able to also now go for the day later departure on 16th July.

So less points, less taxes, and better arrival date and time, and quicker overall flight time.

In theory I could also have book a *A flight from MEL. But it would have been longer duration, on poorer quality planes and the fuel fines would again have been at play.

16 Jul: Fly in to Nairobi from MEL

I have now also reserved my seats on ET. It is my first flight on ET and so I am looking forward to sampling it. On the first leg on the 77W have booked the "love seat" which is better for couples as the two seats are oriented to face slightly together, whereas the pair of seats in alternate rows face away.

The other bonus I realised after reserving my seats was that our Award seats were also eligible for the complimentary Limousine Pick-up, which I have now booked. So that will kick off our six week African Adventure in grand style.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:07 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
FLIGHT UPDATE

I have now booked 2 one-way MEL to Nairobi on Eitihad in the well regarded Pearl Business Class..

An effective 95,652 points and $77 in taxes each is a lot better than the 121,000 and $397 each we had paid. I am now 40,695K (Had to pay 5K each to cancel) and $640 better off.

So less points, less taxes, and better arrival date and time, and quicker overall flight time.

In theory I could also have book a *A flight from MEL. But it would have been longer duration, on poorer quality planes and the fuel fines would again have been at play.

16 Jul: Fly in to Nairobi from MEL

The other bonus I realised after reserving my seats was that our Award seats were also eligible for the complimentary Limousine Pick-up, which I have now booked. So that will kick off our six week African Adventure in grand style.
Holy Smokes! Can I go with you???
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Holy Smokes! Can I go with you???
The wife may object
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately I have just discovered that the Port Elizabeth Train Route has been discontinued for the Premier Classe Train.

So I will have to re-think this part of my trip.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Ok,

With a lot more research and pondering I have now sorted this week and will now just explore Cape Town and the region near it, rather than also doing the Garden Route.

We will now fly in from JNB. Flights are very cheap on Kulula http://www.kulula.com/. No frills certainly, but it is only a short flight.

To heighten its flavour being different from the rest of our trip, and to take advantage of what the Cape Town Region offers we have decided to make a key part of this week a "foodies" trip with ample time to be spent enjoying the local cuisine and wines which are rated highly in the various reviews that I have read.

I have now made bookings for two of South Africa's Top Ten Restaurants (different lists, have different rankings) and am eying off a couple more in the region.

I have so far booked the The Test Kitchen www.thetestkitchen.co.za in Cape Town and Overture in Hidden Valley, www.dineatoverture.co.za adjacent to Stellenbosch. In each case we will opt for the extended menu with matched wine pairings of local wine. As you need to book these restaurants well in advance I have also locked in accommodation to suit.

I have booked 2 nights in Stellenbosch at the Oude Werf Hotel, www.oudewerfhotel.co.za , which has the distinction of being South Africa's oldest hotel. The current $40 Hotel Club discount sweetened the deal.

I have booked in three night in Cape Town at the Protea Hotel North Wharf Waterfront to take advantage of the Marriott Chain now having properties more widely in South Africa. I had some points expiring next Feb, and there was enough for 2 of the 3 nights we will be staying there. The rooms, or rather suites, here are large and luxurious and so will be a taste of luxury before starting our more basic, but comfortable Kruger SANPark accommodations.

That leaves two nights in between. At this stage I am leaving these unbooked. If the whales are about, then we will mosey on down to Hermanus. Evidently in August the whales are not always there. If not we will probably spend more time on the Cape Peninsula, including the Constantia Valley and the Groot Contantia www.grootconstantia.co.za

We have booked a VW Polo via Avis for 4 days if this section (the days we are not staying in Cape Town.

For Kruger NP I have changed the vehicle to the Avanza as it is taller and so better for game viewing. With more internal room it may also make things more comfortable asa lot of time may be spent sitting in the car watching. It also has better ground clearnance and that may be handy on the way to Elephant Plains where I have heard the roughs are quite rough. While it is more expensive, at $Aust 300 for a week it is still cheap car hire.

In both cases one way dropp-offs are not being charged. Pick up at CPT and drop off in Cape Town. Pick up at SZK and dropp off at HDS.

We have booked manuals, but being Aussies the South Africans drive on the "correct" side of the road for me anyway I am also very used to driving on gravel roads, trails and the like.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: BA, SAA
Re. the whales, plenty in Hermanus in 3rd week in August a couple of years ago. Plenty in False Bay too as we drove back to Cape Town around the coast from Hermanus past Rooi-Els onto Clarence Drive with lots of viewing points on the road. That route also lets you take in the penguin reserve at Betty's Bay.

Did a great whale watching trip out of Simon's Town.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by propitious
Re. the whales, plenty in Hermanus in 3rd week in August a couple of years ago. Plenty in False Bay too as we drove back to Cape Town around the coast from Hermanus past Rooi-Els onto Clarence Drive with lots of viewing points on the road. That route also lets you take in the penguin reserve at Betty's Bay.

Did a great whale watching trip out of Simon's Town.
Thanks. And by coincidence Simon's Town is one of the locations we are considering for our two free unbooked nights.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Well only 4 weeks to go now. So the excitement is now rapidly building.

We have now had most of our vaccinations now including for Yellow Fever. We get the second round of Hep A/B shots not long before departure.

As we are are now in our 50's and our original vaccinations were long ago (they do need to be boosted every so often) we have also had vaccinations for Hooping Cough, Typhoid and Tetanus. This will also cover our December trip to Nepal.

For our first 2 nights in Africa a tough of "Glamping"

However a touch "riches to rags", as once we start the 4WD-ing many nights will be spent in a slightly less luxurious tent that we will put up ourselves each night...

We can't wait to begin.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:32 pm

Sounds like you've planned an amazing trip. I am just beginning the planning process for our 2 month visit, hopefully next February and March. For whatever reason Ethiopia has captured our imagination so we are looking to start there and work our way south eventually ending up in S Africa. The distances are so vast however that we intent to fly couple of legs for sure.

I'll be looking for your trip report! Bon journee!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Yes planning is all part of the fun of travelling for many of us.

However I am now just a week from departure, and so I will soon be doing the really fun part= the actual trip.

Good luck with both your planning, and your trip.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Sep 2, 2015 at 12:57 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.