Wiki Posts
Search

Review my first Africa/Safari Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-Gold

I am planning a 15-20 days South Africa trip for a family of 4(2 adults/2 Kids). Kids are aged 10 and 8 and are big wildlife fans.

This trip is for June 3rd week, 2015.

I will use my miles on UA or AA to reach Johannesburg and then continue to Cape Town. In Kruger, I selected the camps which have catering from Muggs & Bean which have good vegetarian options(as a backup will be prepared to cook).

I need to apply for Visa for South Africa & Zimbabwe so no plans to visit any other country.

My tentative plan so far is:

Cape Town - 5 days
Cape Town - Victoria Falls - 2 days
Victoria Falls- Johannesburg - Flight and then flight/drive to Kruger
Kruger - 5 nights - 3 in Lower Sabie and 2 in Olifants - self-drive along with 1 night safari/sun-rise safari/Mountain bike trail at Olifants

Flight back to US from Johannesburg. I may have to stay in Johannesburg for one day before my return flight.

Do you suggest any improvements. This trip is for June 3 week, 2015.

Last edited by concordian; Jul 12, 2014 at 1:44 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:26 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by concordian
I am planning a 15-20 days South Africa trip for a family of 4(2 adults/2 Kids). Kids are aged 10 and 8 and are big wildlife fans.

This trip is for June 3rd week, 2015.

I will use my miles on UA or AA to reach Johannesburg and then continue to Cape Town. In Kruger, I selected the camps which have catering from Muggs & Bean which have good vegetarian options(as a backup will be prepared to cook).

I need to apply for Visa for South Africa & Zimbabwe so no plans to visit any other country.

My tentative plan so far is:

Cape Town - 5 days
Cape Town - Victoria Falls - 2 days
Cape Town- Johannesburg - Flight and then flight/drive to Kruger
Kruger - 5 nights - 3 in Lower Sabie and 2 in Olifants - self-drive along with 1 night safari/sun-rise safari/Mountain bike trail at Olifants

Flight back to US from Johannesburg. I may have to stay in Johannesburg for one day before my return flight.

Do you suggest any improvements. This trip is for June 3 week, 2015.
I think you've outlined a pretty nice trip for your first visit to Southern Africa--along the same lines as our own in 2003. Cape Town and Vic Falls and safari are a great combo. FYI, you can also consider some of the camps in Botswana and easily drive to them from Vic Falls to avoid a little less travel chaos, but you also can't go wrong with Kruger in terms of wildlife--though you likely will see larger accumulations of animals in Botswana than SA at that time of year. All depends on what you prefer, what your budget allows, and how much travel you want or don't mind to endure as you move from place to place. Chobe Chilwero was our first Botswana safari experience, and it was great, and an easy 2 hr drive from Vic Falls. Some of the Okavango camps require a short flight from Vic Falls, but nothing major and far easier (and usually cheaper) than getting to Kruger, so something to consider.

If you want to just stick with SA and Zimbabwe, though, you look good to go!

In Cape Town, plan to take the family to Robbens Island for some history. Also be sure to drive down to the Cape of Good Hope--that is a full day of fun, seeing baboons, wild ostriches, the penguins at Boulders beach, etc. Depending on how old your kids are and whether you're really into wildlife, you can also drive out to Gonsbaii for the great white shark cage experience--totally safe, decent water conditions in June, and easily one of the most jaw-dropping marine experiences! You also want to give yourself a few days in Cape Town to choose when to go up Table Mountain, since visibility is notoriously uncertain that time of year--so keep a few days clear so you can pick the clear day to go up!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold
From the South Africa consul web site:
U.S. citizens (U.S. passport holders) visiting the Republic of South Africa for ninety (90) days or less for tourism / business purposes do not need visas.

So unless you are not an American you do not need a visa for South Africa.

From US state Dept. travel web site:
Zimbabwean Immigration officials at Harare airport and other ports of entry are authorized to admit U.S. citizens without an entry visa. U.S. citizens entering Zimbabwe for tourism only can expect to pay $30 for a single-entry, 30-day duration of stay permit upon entering the country. A 60-day multiple entry permit is also available for $60.

looks like Americans get get the Zimbabwe visa at the airport.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we are not Americans and need Visas for most countries. That's the reason why I am skipping Botswana now. Also, I will be going to Kruger from Victoria Falls via Johannesburg.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I agree that looks a good plan.

+1 to visiting Cape Point whilst in Cape Town and leaving your itinerary flexible so you can climb or cable car up Table Mountain when the weather is good. I would recommend hiring a car and visiting the many parks and reserves surrounding the city. By late June the right whales should have arrived. We preferred the Betty's Bay penguin colony which is on the way to Hermanus and there are plenty of other activities in the area; that would make a good day out.

Regarding Kruger, I am sure you are aware, the reservations for June 2015 will open on 22 July, so plan which accommodation you want and book those as soon as possible. (Although you can change your bookings without fees up to 30 days before you arrive, I have found you cannot change from one accommodation type to another within the same camp so you need to book those 2 and 3 day blocks in the same accommodation.)

Also note that you probably won't be able to mountain bike with the kids (the minimum age for bush walks is 13 and it's a similar activity). Olifants is still a fantastic camp to visit with wonderful views.

Regarding routes, flying with AA miles you might be able to fly direct to Cape Town (BA metal) if you are lucky with dates. Flights from JNB back via Europe tend to fly overnight, but you are right that it is very difficult to get back to JNB whilst making the most of a safari the same morning. This is particularly true from Oliphants, you would have to leave Kruger quite early to be sure of making your return flight. It is much less risky to spend a last morning in Kruger, taking the panoramic route and staying outside the park giving you a more leisurely drive back to JNB the last day of your holiday.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Update: My flights are booked now and I will be flying from SFO-LAX-HKG(stop for 2.5 days)-JNB-CPT.

I booked 2 nights at Satara Family bungalow using Kruger parks website and I want to combine that with 3 nights at a private reserve and I don't want to spend a fortune. Has anyone stayed in Gomo Gomo in the Klasarie area and have any experience? Also, any information about vegetarian meal choices will be helpful.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I got quotes for 2 lodges in Klaserie area - Gomo Gomo and Africa on Foot.

Does anyone have any thoughts about which is better?

Also, Ilala lodge in Victoria Falls - Can anyone comment on their experience? We will be staying 2 nights/3 days.

Last edited by concordian; Aug 26, 2014 at 1:45 pm Reason: Added second question.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

I have booked a very similar trip for just a couple of weeks later than you, also with similar age kids. We are going to spend 4 nights in Cape Town, 5 nights in public game reserves in Kruger and then 6 nights at a private reserve. Based on prior experience, if you can afford it, I would suggest one of the lodges in the Sabi Sands reserve or Timbavati. We are staying at Lower Sabie and then Olifants and are then going to stay at Ngala in Timbavati.

Ngala is an &Beyond property. We haven't stayed there before but we have stayed at &Beyond properties in Botswana which have always been excellent and one of the lodge managers recommended Ngala. They have one family cottage that accommodates 4 but this is already booked for our dates so we have two normal rooms.

I have only stayed at Singita in Sabi which is overpriced, but there are cheaper options and the reserve is fantastic for game spotting. I was looking at Lion Sands which has a few options which look good. Friends have stayed at Ulusaba which they really enjoyed and it also seems child friendly.

My only other suggestion is that self driving on your first trip, you should get good quality bird and animal books and several pairs of decent binoculars - cheaper ones for the kids. It's hard enough to spot game but if you can't see them up close and if you know nothing about what you are looking at it quickly becomes boring.

Hope this helps.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

All set for my trip starting in less than 30 days. Do I need to carry any South African Rand(ZAR?) beforehand? I am planning to obtain some during my transit in JNB enroute to Cape Town. I can also get money from an airport ATM at CPT which I may need to pay for the taxi to hotel.

Do Taxi drivers in SA take Credit cards or can i request an Uber ride from CPT airport to Radisson Blu?
Old May 13, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do I need to carry any South African Rand(ZAR?) beforehand?
No you do not. Plenty of ATM at JNB.

At international arrivals take the "hidden" escalator after customs but before the domestic transfer desks up one floor, you will find any number of ATMs right there.

Johan
Old May 14, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Johan, Can you tell me how much money to withdraw for 5 days in CPT? I will withdraw later in JNB for the safari tips for guides/trackers/cooks.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Johan, Can you tell me how much money to withdraw for 5 days in CPT?
No, as I have no idea of how much money you want to spend, or where you want to spend it.

Personally, I pay with credit cards just about everywhere in SA, and just carry some cash as a backup.

Johan
Old May 15, 2015, 3:05 pm
cxr

hey when you get back make a trip report for us NOOBS who want to schedule the same type of trip in a year of two.

PLEASE and THANK YOU

Last edited by cxr; May 15, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Sure, will write a short trip report or at least will reply in this forum :-)

@Johan: We(Americans) have a tendency to use credit card everywhere but I understand it may not the same case in South Africa. I may need to use cash for breakfast/taxis and other things. I also need cash to pay tips at the end of my safari.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:56 pm

Sure, will write a short trip report or at least will reply in this forum :-)

@Johan: We(Americans) have a tendency to use credit card everywhere but I understand it may not the same case in South Africa. I may need to use cash for breakfast/taxis and other things. I also need cash to pay tips at the end of my safari.
Credit card usage in South Africa is the same as in the US. Every store will accept cards, unless you are out in the boonies somewhere. But even then, unless it's a shack in the middle of nowhere, they'll probably take cards.

As for taxis, South Africa is not very pulic transportation friendly. Will you be relying on taxis several times a day? I would suggest you book a car and driver, as US style metered taxis aren't the norm in SA. They are available, but not as prolific as the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.