Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long in Chobe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA44

I received two suggestions for Chobe area lodges: Elephant Valley Lodge or Muchenje Game Lodge.
I stayed at Muchenje this past January and thought that it was great. The owners were super friendly (as were all the staff) and the guide I had for the 3 days/2 nights I was there went out of his way find the animals I wanted to see. The trip out on the boat on the Chobe was the best part of the safari. The small number of guests at the lodge during the green season also meant much smaller groups heading out on safari each day.

I found the Green season in Chobe to be full of animals and saw thousands along the river. The only downside of the green season appears to be the obvious fact that it is much more difficult to see animals in the bush--particularly the cats that are much smaller in numbers than the elephants, giraffe, zebra, etc.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:34 pm

Thank you @gspurr, your post is most helpful!!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Gold
go for the houseboat

During our Africa vacation in April we spent 2 nights on Pride of Zambezi houseboat and 2 nights at Elephant Valley Lodge. The houseboat was great-you board near Kasane. Viewing the animals from the water is great-they all come to the river to drink. There are 3 small houseboats and you can book them for as many nights as you want, even 1. I much preferred the water game drives to the land ones in the park.

http://www.prideofzambezi.com/

If you want to stay on land you can stay in a hotel in Kasane and get a guide to go into Chobe NP each day. The problem with EVL was it took 30 minutes each way to and from the lodge and park. With 2 game drives a day this was a lot of bouncing around in the truck.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
During our Africa vacation in April we spent 2 nights on Pride of Zambezi houseboat and 2 nights at Elephant Valley Lodge. ...
Thanks. Yes, I know about the houseboats and but decided we'd prefer a lodge.

We are leaning towards Muchenje. We like its small size and support for the community. The reviews are excellent as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.