Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads-up: New SA Immigration rules for kids

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DHA grants reprieve for SADC direct-transit pax

"South Africa’s neighbouring countries have breathed a “cautious” sigh of relief as the Department of Home Affairs has revealed that no supporting documents – including an unabridged birth certificate – will be needed for travellers under 18, who are in direct international transit, passing through SA’s international airports.

David Frost, Satsa CEO, says the new regulations will wipe out 20 years of investment efforts in the tourism industry. The top five European markets and the US market contribute to about 45% of arrivals. A 10% drop from those markets, which could be foreseen as a result of the new regulations, would have a huge impact, he says.

Despite numerous initiatives behind the scenes from the tourism industry, the Minister of Home Affairs has been impervious to any dialogue, Frost says. The arguments presented by the DHA are built on dogma and don’t take into consideration best practice, he says. “In any functioning democracy, this is a travesty.”
"

Source

Johan
Old May 25, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SATSA calls for 11th hour stay on SA’s new visa rules for children

"South African Tourism Services Association CEO, David Frost says Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba’s refusal to re-look at the new unabridged birth certificate requirement for children travelling in South Africa, set to come into effect on 1 June 2015, is going to “cost the country a significant amount of tourist arrivals”.

Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom confirmed in parliament recently that there had been negative growth over the past six months from countries affected by the regulations.

In an earlier report in response to calls for the unabridged birth certificate requirements to be revised, Gigaba said the department of home affairs would not go back on its decision and that “South Africa should never relent in protecting children”
"

Source

I figure Mr. Gigaba should start by protecting children already within SA's borders. He will have his work cut out for him, that's for sure.

Johan
Old May 26, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Home affairs clarifies new travel regulations for children

"Children who applied for unabridged birth certificates before June 1 would still be allowed to travel if they didn't receive their documents in time, Home Affairs Director-General Mkuseli Apleni told MPs on Tuesday morning.

Apleni said minors who left the country before June 1, but returned after June 1, would not be required to travel with the unabridged birth certificate.

Statistics released by the department show that 2 735 982 children travelled in and out of South Africa last year. This included 940 626 South Africans and 1 795 356 foreigners.
"

Source

Johan
Old May 27, 2015, 1:49 pm

They must be kidding, right? It doesn't get any stupider than this!

http://traveller24.news24.com/Travel...r-May-20150526

There is no such thing as an unabridged birth certificate in our country, what must we do?

In the case of countries that do not issue unabridged birth certificates, a letter to this effect issued by the competent authority of the foreign country should be produced.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:57 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
I land into JNB at 09:30 on 1 June - should I try to pick an immigration queue with no kids in it??

Will report back on the chaos...

Last edited by Stewie Mac; May 28, 2015 at 7:06 am Reason: forgot smiley - it was a joke!
Old May 28, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I land into JNB at 09:30 on 1 June - should I try to pick an immigration queue with no kids in it??

No such thing, I'm afraid: It's one queue and then it's the next free immigration officer when you reach the head of the queue. All desks could easily be jammed with families and then you'll have to wait.

Which would be a pity, granted we were almost first off the BA57 last week but there was still zero queue for immigration, a welcome change from the common state of affairs at Heathrow.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold

Don't make any plans for lunch
Old May 29, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan

Please post - we're about 23 hours behind you.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Local travel industry expecting chaos'

"The Association of Southern African Travel Agents (ASATA), along with its industry counterparts at the Southern African Tourism Services Association (SATSA) and Board of Airline Representatives South Africa (BARSA), have voiced their concerns about the negative impact the new visa rules will have on the industry as a whole.

In a statement released on Wednesday, ASATA CEO Otto de Vries warned that they are expecting chaos from 1 June, when the unabridged birth certificate rule kicks in.
"

Source

Johan
Old May 29, 2015, 1:27 pm

You know, I'm only just thinking about this now. Has anyone such as the travel agents association thought about going to Court to stop this. It seems you could more than gin up a claim that these restrictions have the potential to harm a parent or child's right of free movement. Constitution Bill of Rights, Section 21: freedom of movement, including the right to leave South Africa, the right of citizens to a passport and the right to enter South Africa. Get an order halting the regulations.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by CBear
They must be kidding, right? It doesn't get any stupider than this!

http://traveller24.news24.com/Travel...r-May-20150526
Believe me, it can get a lot stupider. Give them time.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The Telegraph then went on to poll its readers asking:

“Will the new rules put you off taking your child to South Africa?"

The results came back with an alarming 61% opting for 'yes', with the remaining 39% opting for "No, it's inconvenient but I will visit".
"

Source

This is of course the kind of poll that should be taken with more than a few pinches of salt, but still.

Johan
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:02 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
bad, but just 'usual' bad

Reporting back, and really no chaos at all - possibly helped by the fact that I only saw two families in the immigration hall.

Landed on SA237, the last of the European heavies in, and when we got to the immigration hall the queue for non-visa foreigners was back through the entire sheep pen and into the hall. Moved quite quickly however, and we were through in about 40 minutes, so not great but no worse than usual.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Home Affairs statements at odds with own regulations

"Friday’s official statement by the Director General of Home Affairs, Mkuseli Apleni, is contrary to the department’s regulations it gazetted on 22 May last year.

The statement that appeared on the Home Affairs website does not conform with the regulations or the latest version of the Advisory with Standard Operating Procedures they issued on 26 May. It is completely ambiguous, Professor Bronstein told Tourism Update.

In his statement Apleni said: "Where both parents are travelling with valid passports and visas the unabridged birth certificate is not a requirement since these additional documents would have been provided when applications were made for passports and visas.”
"

Source

This is getting pretty bizarre.

Johan
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
aren't you pleased that one more government is trying to do something
"The International Air Transport Association (IATA) issued a statement on Monday emphasising that crime statistics from the South African Police Services for the period March 2004 – March 2014 do not mention a single reported case of child trafficking."

Well, as of today the SAPS will no doubt be apprehending child traffickers by the bushel every single day, now that these fantastic new rules have come into force.

I await the reports of arrests with bated breath.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jun 2, 2015 at 10:58 am Reason: Aparently can't even spell my own name anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.