Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals

Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals

Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
SA is a little bit of a throwback when it comes to credit cards. They'll often ask for a signature in addition to chip-and-PIN etc. They love having photocopies / carbon copies of cards as well, which is not best practice, but it's at least widespread enough that one can be reassured that there's no sinister intent.
Yea, I encountered that a couple of times. I started to realize it was somewhat normal there - but my instincts still tend to reject it.

Originally Posted by sk3x
Slightly OT, but figured this active thread might be a good place to post. Anyone have a recommendation for a driver for when we're in the Winelands for two days later this month? I think we'll rent for a day or two when exploring south of Cape Town, but would then like to enjoy ourselves at the wineries without the hassle of the vehicle.
It was very difficult for us to decide how to do the vineyards, especially since we didn't spend any nights in the winelands and were "commuting" from cape town. I didn't want to do a standard tour, because I didn't want to end up just going to a few vineyards that the guide happens to have an "in" at, and probably the largest vineyards at that. I also was hesitant to hire a private driver as I got the sense that most of them were just taxi drivers who might not know the vineyards that well - so it would be on us to do the research and tell the driver where to take us. In the end, we took a tour but were very pleasantly surprised at how great it was and how knowledgable our guide was. We found him on Trip Advisor - Tsiba Tsiba Wine Tours (we found them on trip advisor) - and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. While he did take us to a couple of larger vineyards, he also took us to a couple of smaller ones as well. We booked a group tour, and there was only one other couple in the "group" - it was an excellent day! If you want something private, I think they offer that as well.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by CFFrost
It was very difficult for us to decide how to do the vineyards, especially since we didn't spend any nights in the winelands and were "commuting" from cape town. I didn't want to do a standard tour, because I didn't want to end up just going to a few vineyards that the guide happens to have an "in" at, and probably the largest vineyards at that. I also was hesitant to hire a private driver as I got the sense that most of them were just taxi drivers who might not know the vineyards that well - so it would be on us to do the research and tell the driver where to take us. In the end, we took a tour but were very pleasantly surprised at how great it was and how knowledgable our guide was. We found him on Trip Advisor - Tsiba Tsiba Wine Tours (we found them on trip advisor) - and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. While he did take us to a couple of larger vineyards, he also took us to a couple of smaller ones as well. We booked a group tour, and there was only one other couple in the "group" - it was an excellent day! If you want something private, I think they offer that as well.
Thanks for the recommendation. I share similar concerns about tours in general, but will check Tsiba Tsiba out. We're actually staying in Paarl for a night, so have the potential to add complexity by building in a transfer from Cape Town, but I'm sure someone will manage it well.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
SA is a little bit of a throwback when it comes to credit cards. They'll often ask for a signature in addition to chip-and-PIN etc.
Oh yes! And they don't check signatures on C+P-authorised transactions either. Otherwise they'd notice a certain M Mouse masquerading as me.
They love having photocopies / carbon copies of cards as well, which is not best practice, but it's at least widespread enough that one can be reassured that there's no sinister intent.
I noticed once, on presenting my credit card for a prepaid hotel stay - sad that City Lodge group require advance payment for flexible bookings - a clerk was manually copying my card details into a paper file, including the CIV code, the one that's required for card-not-present transactions. I protested - identity fraud, anyone?

Poor show. I keep my eyes open now.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
Oh yes! I noticed once, on presenting my credit card for a prepaid hotel stay - sad that City Lodge group require advance payment for flexible bookings - a clerk was manually copying my card details into a paper file, including the CIV code, the one that's required for card-not-present transactions. I protested - identity fraud, anyone?
On the contrary, none of the SA hotels I stayed at kept a hold on the card for incidentals - and even as I charged things to the room, I only had to pay on departure. I actually really appreciated this, as it can be a pain if you are hotel hopping, renting cars, etc - a lot of your credit can get used up when they take large incidental preauthorizations (as Thrifty did)!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the contrary ...
Clearly our experiences were different.

The scenario I outlined was at one hotel - the City Lodge V&A Cape Town. I didn't see it elsewhere. What happened violated Visa/MC regulations. The 3-digit security code is ONLY to be used for 'card not present' transactions, i.e. phone and online. There is no way that a merchant should be copying such details from a card, apparently as routine as at the CL V&A.

As it is, the hotel already had my name, address, phone number, e-mail address, passport number and credit card number and expiry date. Those 3 extra digits provide ample opportunity for identity theft.

I'm aware this is getting off topic so probably best not to continue much further.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:15 am

I tried to reason with them that if they have a hold on the card and have the card info electronically stored there is NO reason for a carbon copy - but I knew I was getting nowhere. They insisted that their bank required the carbon copy. The rep wanted to refuse my CSP because her carbon copy machine was not getting a good imprint of the card.
My CSP is regularly refused by car hire companies in different parts of the world for this very reason. Most recently in Cape Town last Saturday. Also Joburg (ORTIA and Lanseria) and Dubai and Ras Al Khaimah. I've spoken to Chase about it and they seem uninterested in fixing the issue. So I use a non-Chase card for those transactions. Annoying, but easier than spending an hour arguing a battle you can't win.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
Cape Town International Airport

If we fly directly from CPT to LHR on British Airways.....BA says our hand baggage is 1 normal carry-on AND one tote.

I was just on the site for Cape Town Int'l Airport and under their link for security is 'Hand Baggage'. It states you are allowed 1 bag only not to exceed 5 kg.

Is this true? I was under the impression that carry-on baggage was governed by the airline.

Does everyone check their bags and have them wrapped?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA
I flew BA out of CPT and had no issue with normal carry-on (1+1). A lot of people do wrap if checking a bag...especially out of JNB -- maybe not as big of a concern coming out of CPT but that's just my impression, no facts to back it up.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
Thanks Winston.....it's just very confusing regarding the carryon restrictions.

I normally don't have this many questions and always have done carryon.

Did your carryon weigh 7 kg or more the weight allowed by BA since I assume it was BA metal?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
The airport will allow you to take whatever the airline allows. In BA's case it is one carry on bag up to 23Kgs which you must be able to lift into the overhead bin yourself and one personal item which (if you are in Y or Y+) needs to fit under the seat in front of you.

There are size restrictions on these items too which can be seen in Manage My Booking on ba.com.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much is the authorization in rental car put on your card?

Planning on an upcoming trip Feb/Mar - we will first be at PLZ (because we arrive JNB at 2pm and BA does not show any availability to either JNB or PLZ, but show availability to PLZ the next day). We plan to pick up car at PLZ, visit the elephant park and eventually wound our way to CPT. We have a total of 12 days to do this, including the CPT portion. Then we fly back to JNB to pick up our flight to DOH.

So we would drive the Garden Route before reaching CPT. Not sure whether we should return the car immediately once we are in CPT, and a few days later pick up a car to do the Cape etc, or we should finish all our self-driving parts first then have the last few days at CPT without a car. Opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated.

We plan to use the AMEX Plat card for the car rental. It should have enough room for some sizable authorization though I would still like to know the ballpark figures you guys have experienced.

For all other expenses we plan to use the Barclays A+ and other cards that dont have the forex fee.

Haven't decided which hotels to use. Club Carlson group has 2 properties at CPT and we have held reservations at both for the last 2 days at CPT for the moment.

Could also use Hilton as well. But I need to find reputable lodgings for the driving part from PLZ to CPT, as well as the stay at PLZ.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Planning on an upcoming trip Feb/Mar - we will first be at PLZ (because we arrive JNB at 2pm and BA does not show any availability to either JNB or PLZ, but show availability to PLZ the next day). We plan to pick up car at PLZ, visit the elephant park and eventually wound our way to CPT. We have a total of 12 days to do this, including the CPT portion. Then we fly back to JNB to pick up our flight to DOH.

So we would drive the Garden Route before reaching CPT. Not sure whether we should return the car immediately once we are in CPT, and a few days later pick up a car to do the Cape etc, or we should finish all our self-driving parts first then have the last few days at CPT without a car. Opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated.

We plan to use the AMEX Plat card for the car rental. It should have enough room for some sizable authorization though I would still like to know the ballpark figures you guys have experienced.

For all other expenses we plan to use the Barclays A+ and other cards that dont have the forex fee.

Haven't decided which hotels to use. Club Carlson group has 2 properties at CPT and we have held reservations at both for the last 2 days at CPT for the moment.

Could also use Hilton as well. But I need to find reputable lodgings for the driving part from PLZ to CPT, as well as the stay at PLZ.

There will be a significant hold, but you should be fine using a Plat (NPSL) especially if you are putting other expenses on different cards. I don't remember the exact amount the hold, but if I recall correctly the hold is for the amount of the deductible for the policy you choose through the rental company. There was also an additional hold for the GPS. I know your card may include insurance coverage, but I do not think it is possible to rent a car without an insurance policy in SA.

As far as whether to keep the car or not, that all just depends on how much you value flexibility vs. cost. If you keep the car there will likely be times you will still want to just take a cab or an Uber - (Uber works well in Cape Town, both are very cheap) or get a ride with the tour operator if you do that, as most will pick up from the hotel. If you're a wine drinker you'll never want to drive if you're heading to dinner, for example, as wines in SA are cheap and delicious.

We had an EXCELLENT stay at the Conrad Pezula in Knysna along the garden route. The in-room wood-burning fireplace was a real treat. The Hilton Cape Town was very good for what it was, but I wouldn't call it a high end property.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There will be a significant hold, but you should be fine using a Plat (NPSL) especially if you are putting other expenses on different cards. I don't remember the exact amount the hold, but if I recall correctly the hold is for the amount of the deductible for the policy you choose through the rental company. There was also an additional hold for the GPS. I know your card may include insurance coverage, but I do not think it is possible to rent a car without an insurance policy in SA.

As far as whether to keep the car or not, that all just depends on how much you value flexibility vs. cost. If you keep the car there will likely be times you will still want to just take a cab or an Uber - (Uber works well in Cape Town, both are very cheap) or get a ride with the tour operator if you do that, as most will pick up from the hotel. If you're a wine drinker you'll never want to drive if you're heading to dinner, for example, as wines in SA are cheap and delicious.

We had an EXCELLENT stay at the Conrad Pezula in Knysna along the garden route. The in-room wood-burning fireplace was a real treat. The Hilton Cape Town was very good for what it was, but I wouldn't call it a high end property.
So how do you handle the rental car insurance, given the deductible is very high as in "significant hold", what is the usage of the coverage, if there even any at all? But once you take out the insurance with the rental car companies, your CC would no longer provide the coverage, not even the deductible amount... I know in countries where insurance is mandatory such as Australia and NZ, AMEX and MC simply exclude those countries, as well as countries like Israel and Northern Ireland (for other obvious reasons). I dont see any card excludes South Africa.

Visa does not exclude NZ and I am told it covers the deductible (excess).

Our time frame is 2nd half of Feb. A fire place would have absolutely no use during that time of the year in that part of the world I am afraid.

A friend had reservation predevaluation at the Conrad but he gave it up in favor of a local hotel on the garden route even he had to pay for it - he said much nicer in every way. They also gave up one free night at the Radisson Blu in Cape Town and went out of town to stay at a B&B, even though they had an upgraded ocean view room... They kept their car the whole time but they only stayed in Cape Town 3 days? then they headed out and eventually returned their rental at PLZ. I have to check with him on the insurance front.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, Happy. A couple of thoughts.

We used our UK Amex Platinum card for our SA rentals extras. We usually used prepaid rates so this was just for extras - any parking or speeding fines or the refueling scam - the rental companies at CPT add on what seems to be an automatic refueling fee even if you fill up at the BP station at the airport. Not much, but annoying.

We used the UK AmEx plat for an insurance claim (tire/wheel) and it was paid promptly without deduction. I stress the UK card as your AmEx may have different coverage.

Picking up a car at PLZ and returning it at CPT usually incurs a drop off fee of ZAR 500-600.

Try to think outside of using chain hotels. In Cape Town and Western Cape, I have stayed at the Hilton, Radisson, Westin, DoubleTree, several City Lodges and Proteas and more. All were fine but using chain hotels can limit you. SA has so many other opportunities, including the B&Bs mentioned in your first paragraph. They are usually of very high standard with excellent accommodation and 'English' breakfasts, usually wi-fi, often pools.

Keep the car or not? Only you can tell. I'd be inclined to keep it, unless staying in the CBD where parking could be difficult and expensive.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
Hi, Happy. A couple of thoughts.

We used our UK Amex Platinum card for our SA rentals extras. We usually used prepaid rates so this was just for extras - any parking or speeding fines or the refueling scam - the rental companies at CPT add on what seems to be an automatic refueling fee even if you fill up at the BP station at the airport. Not much, but annoying.

We used the UK AmEx plat for an insurance claim (tire/wheel) and it was paid promptly without deduction. I stress the UK card as your AmEx may have different coverage.

Picking up a car at PLZ and returning it at CPT usually incurs a drop off fee of ZAR 500-600.

Try to think outside of using chain hotels. In Cape Town and Western Cape, I have stayed at the Hilton, Radisson, Westin, DoubleTree, several City Lodges and Proteas and more. All were fine but using chain hotels can limit you. SA has so many other opportunities, including the B&Bs mentioned in your first paragraph. They are usually of very high standard with excellent accommodation and 'English' breakfasts, usually wi-fi, often pools.

Keep the car or not? Only you can tell. I'd be inclined to keep it, unless staying in the CBD where parking could be difficult and expensive.

Enjoy!
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the very helpful info.

Yes our AMEX Plat is the US version, so the benie could very well be different. We just had a small claim on scratches on an alloy wheel sustained at Brittany, 110 euro. Filed claim online with attachments. AMEX took care of it in a week after submitting claim. The important thing is the claim examiner initiated contact with us via email once the claim was assigned an examiner. This is a much better experience than what we have had with MC Rental.

Right now I need to figure out the rental car CDW coverage situation. Yes I know about the $50 to $60 oneway drop off fee. Not an issue as it means no backtracking.

It depends on where one is visiting on what hotels to use, but if the limitation on using chain hotels is not too much, using chain hotels would be MUCH cheaper because here I am taking about reward nights - no, they are not free but obtained with very low costs, often 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of going for an independent, The Radisson would cost $33 a night using reward night for example. Hilton would be higher. Haven't checked DT or SPG (should be the most costly among all chain hotel options). So there is another factor involved - the pocket factor.

Original plan is to just do PLZ to CPT but since we have 12 to 13 days, I am now entertaining the idea of using 7 to 8 days on this portion, then upon flying back to JNB, go to Kruger for a few days. Issue is of course that means a long drive back to JNB for the 8pm flight if we dont want to waste a day at JNB. Also late Feb might not be the optimal time to visit Kruger - very hot and rainy / humid.

Thoughts appreciated from anyone who cares to post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.