Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Africa: Cashing In

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

After years of just accumulating and using miles (Delta) and points (IHG), I've started banking credit card sign on bonuses, and exploring the possibilities of leveraging these rewards for a summer trip with my college-aged daughter to Africa. I've burned through most of my Skymiles (around 30K remaining) on a family trip to Costa Rica over Spring Break, but have a relative ton of IHG rewards (350K). The CSP and Business Bold Ink card initial spends yielded ~100K in UR, and the SPG spend gave me ~31K in StarPoints. As noted previously, I fly Delta (DSM home base) to maintain elite status (Gold) using miles and business spending that yields the MQM boost via Delta Business Reserve (which adds in Sky Club access). That said, I wouldn't be adverse to flying with another carrier, and have been considering the status challenge with United. Oh...and where in Africa? South Africa, Zambia (Victoria Falls), or Kenya, but I'm not tied to any particular itinerary or leave / return dates. (Summer break is late May to late August). Long time lurker, first (sorry, long) post.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Did you look at the Africa forum? I recently went to South Africa and stopped in Cairo on the way home. Drove the panoramic route, stopped at the animal rehab center (got to pet a cheetah), and a week in Kruger. It was a terrific trip! I took many of Johan Rebel's hints and tips... fantastic! I hope to go back asap!

Cape Town gets rave reviews, too.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Will do (checking now...). Sounds like fun.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Welcome!

In hopes some of the folks with experience in the area will see this post and reply with expert advice, I'll move it over to our Africa forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Last summer (July20-August 4) my wife and college age son went to Joburg, Cape Town, Victoria Falls and Botswana on safari. We had a great time. Cashed in UA miles. You seem flexible on the dates, I bet you can find something but start working as time is getting short.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: DL
I just returned from a two week safari in Kenya. I would go back tomorrow.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:23 pm

It depends. For safaris, South Africa, Kenya, and Tanzania are top choices. If you want to combine a safari with a different experience, then I would do something like Cape Town and Kruger Park in South Africa, or a Serengeti Safari with Zanzibar in Tanzania. If you decide on South Africa, then Victoria Falls is relatively easy to get to, and can be reached quite cheaply with avios. I would only do the falls in conjunction with another trip. They're absolutely magnificent, but can be seen in a day or two, so not worth flying all the way just to see them. Things to note is that South Africa is more developed than Kenya/Tanzania, but also costs a bit more.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I cashed in miles and did SAA to JNB biz class. I had a 27 day trip - JNB to Botswana (Okavango delta and Chobe) then to Vic falls before Kruger (Sabi sands), Capetown, garden route back to JNB solo. Used IHG points, spg and US miles. Worth the time, effort and cash. I used rhino Africa in Capetown to help plan - they were great (Nikki) and had great ideas for all budgets. Their web/Facebook is great. My blog (same as user name) has my posts from safari and some Capetown. I'd go back again ASAP if I had the miles.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
For safaris, South Africa, Kenya, and Tanzania are top choices.
If a true wilderness experience is what you are looking for, then I would rate Botswana and Zambia higher.

Johan
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
I cashed in miles and did SAA to JNB biz class. I had a 27 day trip - JNB to Botswana (Okavango delta and Chobe) then to Vic falls before Kruger (Sabi sands), Capetown, garden route back to JNB solo. Used IHG points, spg and US miles. Worth the time, effort and cash. I used rhino Africa in Capetown to help plan - they were great (Nikki) and had great ideas for all budgets. Their web/Facebook is great. My blog (same as user name) has my posts from safari and some Capetown. I'd go back again ASAP if I had the miles.
I appreciate your tips. I am planning a trip to Africa now. I will check out that agency. You blog looks great and I am reading it as well.

Robert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.