Kruger NP Questions also Victoria Falls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

Hello! Its always been a dream of my Mom's to visit Africa. I am going to work on making that happen for her 75th birthday in two years. She is fit and healthy. Gets along very well for her age. We have traveled many other places in the World, but Africa will be new to all of us.

Couple of initial questions….

1) Timing of the trip. We usually like to travel in the Spring or Fall to avoid insanely busy summer or winter high seasons. Would a May trip to Kruger be a bad idea? September would also work for us. If not, what would be best?

2) We would likely fly into JNB on FF award tix. Best way to get to Kruger? Drive? Looks like 4 1/2 hours or are flights available to a local airport at Kruger?

3) Safety while on safari. My wife has concerns regarding actual safety from the wildlife while viewing them in open top vehicles. This is not a concern of mine. Not good for business if the clients get eaten. In fact, I have never heard of anyone getting hurt on a safari trip due to being attacked in such a fashion. I told her English speaking guides would be easy to find. Safety was not an issue. Am I overstating this?

4) My wife's name is Victoria. I would love to add on a side trip to Victoria Falls. I assume this would require a flight form JNB, lodging etc. Does this make sense from Kruger/JNB?

I know these are basic. I am just very unfamiliar with this region. Looking for some folks that have experience that can add their thoughts.

Thank you!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:10 am

1. I went during August and it wasn't too busy. The Kruger website has a good run down on the time to go:

http://www.krugerpark.co.za/Kruger_P...uger-park.html

2. I drove, but there are options to fly. Others will have experience with this.

3. No problems with safety. The camps in the park are fenced, with armed guards at night etc. An elephant may ram the vehicle, but the risk of this is miniscule, and nothing to worry unnecessarily about.

4. Yes, very doable from JNB. The time of year will influence the water flow (and what you see). Too much water and you just see lots of spray, too less and it isn't so spectacular.

My TR from my trip last year: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...adventure.html
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. This being your first trip to Africa, I expect that you would like to see as great a diversity of wildlife as possible. In that case September (end of dry season) is a better choice than May (end of wet season).

2. There are plenty of options.

- Nelspruit (a.k.a. Kruger Mpumalanga International)
- Hoedspruit
- Phalaborwa
- Skukuza

Your choice will depend on where you are staying.

3. Going on safari is one of the safest things you can do. Freak incidents with wild animals do occur, but in Kruger itself a collision with another vehicle is probably more likely. The risk is still negligible, though.

The public rest camps in Kruger proper are fenced, but most private lodges are not. Still very safe.

Johan
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Thank you Both. Much appreciated,
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I went in September and enjoyed it plus not too hot and low levels of mosquitoes

I would fly from JNB to Victoria Falls, I stayed at Elephant Camp in Zimbabwe and they drive me to Vic Falls and came back for me when I wanted to come back to lodge. Recommend a helicopter tour - falls are still incredible despite low season. at lodge prebook elephant safari as I missed out) then I flew from Livingstone (had to pay for visa to get in Zambia) to Nelspruit for Kruger and had 2 hr transport to Kruger -Sabi Sands.
Safety is fine -in Sabi the jeeps are parked by the newborn animals so animals don't fear truck as they see square -which is why you can't stand up or put arm outside because then animal doesn't see safe box.
I used Nikki at Rhino Africa in Capetown we put together a fantastic itinerary 27 days - Botswana, Vic falls, Kruger/Sabi, Capetown, garden route, JNB. I did solo trip and had private or shared shuttles at all times - didn't want to rent a car.
I started my blog after the safari trip as I found so little online for my solo planning -all safari items are posted www.philatravelgirl.com
I also hired a private guide for one day JNB tour before the 8pm flight back to JFK
any other queries just DM me - it is a fantastic trip.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:27 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I went in January and can't wait to go back. We self drove from JNB to Kruger, stayed at several SANParks camp (very inexpensive) as well as Shindzela and Rhino Post, both per Johan R's suggestions. The trip was phenomenal! I liked the freedom of having my own transportation, but we were the only ones in the private camps that self drove. All others had transportation arranged for them to and from the lodges.

You will spend a lot of time in vehicles... but the guides know best. These animals see lots of vehicles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.