Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Total SA noob: 6 days in Johannesburg - What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO

So, I just had a few glasses of pinot noir and booked a trip to J-burg for Apr 25-May 2. Wondering what the SA experts would suggest for interesting things to do? I'm totally open and have no commitments. I could rent a motorcycle (preferred), or take an internal flight somewhere. Not really into the full safari experience, as I already live in Montana and Los Angeles

Maybe drive down to Cape Town and back?

Open to anything interesting!

Also, if I am staying in J-burg, what would be the best neighborhood for restaurants, architecture, history, art, etc?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It's quite a drive to Cape Town 850+ miles. Flying one way and maybe the train the other?
I have not been to Jburg but i know many who have and quite a few who grew up there. They all suggest I spend most of my time in Cape Town.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
You should definitely visit Cape Town. Domestic South Africa flights are very inexpensive, so I'd recommend making the journey by air.

Victoria Falls would also be a worthy side trip. You could fly into LVI or VFA, but I'd recommend staying on the Zambian side. If you go to Livingstone, the day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana is also good. Of course, if you do go to Zambia, you will need to get a yellow fever shot to come back to South Africa.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:22 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I've done two MRs to JNB in the past 3 months.

Stay in Sandton, Holiday Inn, to be precise. It is very affordable and I've never experienced such a nice hotel for so little money.

You can take the Gautrain from the airport to the hotel for $12.

Also....do not forget to visit Lion Park!!!! www.lion-park.com Cannot believe I got to spend half day there including the pickup/dropoff for less than $250 including personal time with a cheetah!!!!!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
..I have not been to Jburg but i know many who have and quite a few who grew up there. They all suggest I spend most of my time in Cape Town.
As a former resident of Jo'burg the best part is the airport. That is where planes leave from the concrete jungle. Head to Capetown and/or the coast. Rent a big bike and go cruising. You will find some good vineyards near Capetown
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated. Do you guys think its safe for one gringo to ride a motorcycle from JNB to CPT? I've ridden bikes all over the world, so skills are not the issue.

Also, which neighborhoods/areas of Joburg are the best to explore on foot?

Is taking the train to CPT a good way to see the country?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of the direct road direct to CPT is flatish & boring. I have driven this by car. Google "karoo". If you are determined not to fly, take coastal like route JNB to Port Elizabeth to Capetown as this is far more interesting
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:14 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
No-brainer
Fly to Cape Town.
Drive (car or bike) around there.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:15 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As a former resident of Jo'burg the best part is the airport. That is where planes leave from the concrete jungle. .......
^
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:25 am

Surprised no one has mentioned this, but a 3-4 day trip to Kruger Park would be great.

A tour of Soweto too maybe?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
....Not really into the full safari experience, as I already live in Montana and Los Angeles
As above
Originally Posted by DanielW
Surprised no one has mentioned this, but a 3-4 day trip to Kruger Park would be great.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Latest plan is car rental in Joburg to Durban-Port Elizabeth-Cape Town-Joburg. Might look at one way to Joburg, then fly or train back. Thoughts?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting better. I would give the driving back CPT-JNB a miss. Just fly, unless you are a train addict. Joburg Durban Port Elizabeth Cape Town is more than enough places to visit in the 6~7 days you have.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
As someone who's been dozens of times, with a week you have lots of options:

3 days/2 nights side trip to Victoria Falls. Much more fun if you're adventurous and like bungee, whitewater rafting in addition to gorgeous nature.

Cape Town. Enough said. Easy side trip of 3-4 days. Again, I'd rent a car. Get down to Simons and see the penguins. Maybe head along the coast to Gordons Bay, Bettys Bay, etc.

Or, if you want a scenic drive, I highly recommend Lesotho. Maybe 3 days/2 nights roundtrip from Josie. Some amazing nature lodges.

If you want more details, I think I've blogged about all of these options too, link below.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by DanielW
A tour of Soweto too maybe?
Personally, I'd give a miss unless you're very interested in the history of SA.

Soweto used to be a fascinating tour, but now with the giant tourbusses coming through, idk, on my last trip in 2013 (it had been 8+ yrs for me) it felt a bit too touristy and not very authentic.

That said, if you have a spare half day in Josie (which isn't very exciting in its own right) it's a very worthwhile thing to see to get a bit of perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.