Wiki Posts
Search

Extra day in Accra

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot,AA,SAA, UA
Extra day in Accra

I am arriving one day in Accra before a scheduled 2 week expedition. Any suggestion as to what to do for that day?? I would like to visit some sort of craft work shop with beads or cloth but can't find anything special online. Anyone? I have been all over other parts of Africa but first time in West Africa.

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: BA, VS,
Originally Posted by kimwhits
I am arriving one day in Accra before a scheduled 2 week expedition. Any suggestion as to what to do for that day?? I would like to visit some sort of craft work shop with beads or cloth but can't find anything special online. Anyone? I have been all over other parts of Africa but first time in West Africa.

Thanks
There is the Cultural centre on the beach Road near the Nkumah memorial park. This market sells a good range of cloth, beads, woodcarving and other local crafts.

The experience is quite stressful though as people will be trying to pull you to their stall and in the end you just feel like running away.

Once you have escaped there is a reasonable bar on the right hand side of the market where you can relax with a drink and calm your shattered nerves.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:20 am

These half-day tours may offer some ideas:

http://www.urbanadventures.com/destination/Accra_tours
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Great idea

Just what I was looking for. Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Air France Platinum since 2014
Wild Gecko

I live in Accra and recommend wild Gecko for a very high standard craft store on the outskirts of Accra.

www.wild-gecko.com
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Better idea

I actually found an agency that takes you to clinics and orphanages to visit. Being a doctor who worked for 3 years in South Africa, this might prove interesting. I figure that my other two weeks will be full of culture and shopping.
But having read about the numerous scams in Ghana, hope this is not a bogus company.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:06 pm

when are you travelling?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Smile

I'll be arriving in Accra the evening of Feb 11. Have all day the 12th free until meet up with the other 4 tour members. Do you want to meet up?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:19 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
hotel suggestions

Tacking onto this to ask for any hotel recommendations for Accra. It's a work trip (so not backpacker/hostel) but it's my company (so not opm/luxurious either ). A couple of nights in March..
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by kimwhits
I'll be arriving in Accra the evening of Feb 11. Have all day the 12th free until meet up with the other 4 tour members. Do you want to meet up?
unfortunately I will be back in UK by then but I may able to arrange a day tour for you. I will work on this and PM you soon
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Tacking onto this to ask for any hotel recommendations for Accra. It's a work trip (so not backpacker/hostel) but it's my company (so not opm/luxurious either ). A couple of nights in March..
I used to stay at the Golden Tulip, but after the renovations, they upped their prices, so I started staying at the Holiday Inn near the airport. Always got an upgrade, breakfast is okay and friendly service. But you need a taxi to get anywhere.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Air France Platinum since 2014
The Moevenpick is the best hotel in Accra, with the Golden Tulip second. The Holiday Inn is functional. La Villa Boutique is a good "under the radar" option.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by wibble34
The Moevenpick is the best hotel in Accra, with the Golden Tulip second. The Holiday Inn is functional. La Villa Boutique is a good "under the radar" option.
I'd stay away from the Golden Tulip unless you have a fondness for Lebanese prostitutes.

The Best Western and the Fiesta Royale are two properties near the airport that have very positive reviews.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by wibble34
La Villa Boutique is a good "under the radar" option.
Went with this. Great location in Osu, around the corner from Oxford St but a peaceful retreat. Good food. Pricey.

However, some niggles: flaky wifi; uninspiring breakfast; no shampoo/shower gel; slow service & checkout; and a Fawlty-esque mishearing of extra as 'eggs-tra' by a waiter leading to a lobster dinner coming out covered in sliced hard-boiled eggs

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Mar 14, 2014 at 6:39 am
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:32 am

Back in Accra again next month, and looking for a cheaper alternative to La Villa Boutique, ideally still around Osu. Coconut Grove gets reasonable reviews on Tripadvisor... anyone with any experience?

thanks

Nova hotel was fine - clean, a/c through the night with their own generator, reasonably priced, good location

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Mar 23, 2015 at 7:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.