Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

overnight at ADD - Addis Ababa airport

Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum

I would expect at least an hour to stand in line at the transfer desk, acquire paperwork, go thru immigration and transfer to hotel. Potentially much longer if you are not in the front of the line at the transfer desk-there is often a mob of unhappy people pushing to be acknowledged to make flight changes also.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by elf618
I would expect at least an hour to stand in line at the transfer desk, acquire paperwork, go thru immigration and transfer to hotel. Potentially much longer if you are not in the front of the line at the transfer desk-there is often a mob of unhappy people pushing to be acknowledged to make flight changes also.
Luckily first off the plane as C pax, but do they have a separate line for C/*gold?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by skaya
Luckily first off the plane as C pax, but do they have a separate line for C/*gold?
Of course they have a line for *G/Biz. Just look for the unmanned desk in the corner and that's probably it!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Of course they have a line for *G/Biz. Just look for the unmanned desk in the corner and that's probably it!
As expected Will try to report back.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:34 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Get out of the hotel.... if you are very lucky, you might get to see one of Africa's greatest ambassadors during those morning run sessions. Everyone knows him and they should.

HAILE.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skaya

That has always been my experience. The green "Cloud 9" carpet ends at the wall to the right of the window. One "may" have success going to the front of that line and being a little assertive but it depends on the day. My husband and I stood in two different lines last time to see who would get acknowledged first and it was thru the cloud 9 lane but required some "excuse me"s.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by redtailshark
Get out of the hotel.... if you are very lucky, you might get to see one of Africa's greatest ambassadors during those morning run sessions. Everyone knows him and they should.

HAILE.
I will hook up for the morning workout then
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:27 am
Suspended

That has always been my experience. The green "Cloud 9" carpet ends at the wall to the right of the window. One "may" have success going to the front of that line and being a little assertive but it depends on the day. My husband and I stood in two different lines last time to see who would get acknowledged first and it was thru the cloud 9 lane but required some "excuse me"s.
We are two so will try to split up if needed. No idea if we need to wait for a transport for more pax, like a bus or something though.

Had the same issues like in IST, that even though visa/hotel could be quick, we had to wait for shuttle.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:48 am

If you are going to Hilton there is a shuttle that goes from their desk outside of arrivals pretty frequently. If they send u to the chairs by the X-ray machine on the way out of baggage claim to wait for any other hotel shuttle, I'd probably consider springing for a taxi. Ask to see the fixed price list to hotels from airport when u get in the tAxi. On the street all prices are negotiated and should be done before setting out on your journey. Yellow taxis are the only "certified" ones but they are also more expensive than the blue and white ones. For local trips blue and white taxi cars are fine-i usually take yellow ones from the airport for convenience though.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:32 am
Suspended

If you are going to Hilton there is a shuttle that goes from their desk outside of arrivals pretty frequently. If they send u to the chairs by the X-ray machine on the way out of baggage claim to wait for any other hotel shuttle, I'd probably consider springing for a taxi. Ask to see the fixed price list to hotels from airport when u get in the tAxi. On the street all prices are negotiated and should be done before setting out on your journey. Yellow taxis are the only "certified" ones but they are also more expensive than the blue and white ones. For local trips blue and white taxi cars are fine-i usually take yellow ones from the airport for convenience though.
Thanks. Do I have to exchange money? Or would there be an ATM at arrival?

Wont need much with a short overnight only. BF incl at HH, either courtesy of ET or due to HH status.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:48 am

There are 2 ATMs at the Hilton as well as at least one bank branch money changer in the lobby. There's a money changer at the airport with a window both into the immigration line side and into baggage claim. There are some ATMs at the airport but sometimes out of cash and may only take visa branded cards. The one at the Hilton was one of the first to take MC.

As Hilton gold I was given lounge access in August. eT also gave meal vouchers good for the Hilton buffet meals
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:07 pm

If they send u to the chairs by the X-ray machine on the way out of baggage claim to wait for any other hotel shuttle, I'd probably consider springing for a taxi.
Do not try this. Some hotels will not accept your accommodation voucher if you do not arrive with the hotel shuttle transport and you may need to take another taxi back to the airport to ride the shuttle bus in. Sounds silly, but there has been a lot of fraud with the ET hotel vouchers historically so they require pax to be picked up by hotels from inside the restricted area.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 pm

Good to know!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Do not try this. Some hotels will not accept your accommodation voucher if you do not arrive with the hotel shuttle transport and you may need to take another taxi back to the airport to ride the shuttle bus in. Sounds silly, but there has been a lot of fraud with the ET hotel vouchers historically so they require pax to be picked up by hotels from inside the restricted area.
Wow. Have you heard similar issues at other hubs? Should hope they had some verification system online in addition to the papers.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Exiting the airport during a short transit (5.5 hrs)?

On our inbound, we will have a 5:45 layover at ADD, and hope to exit the terminal in order to meet up with friends who live near the airport. Some things that I've read online suggest that we may not be able to get transit (or tourist) visas for that length of stay. Does anyone have any recent experiences?

Many thanks,
Michael

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.