Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

How do I even begin planning an Safari

Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA

I'd like to take my family on Safari. I have two kids, currently 5 & 7.

How much do I need to budget, where should I go to book, does anyone have any experience or stories to share?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:18 pm

There's a regular contributor to this board who appears (to me, at least) to be a travel agent specializing in Safari travel. I'm sure s/he will chime in.

Kids (the five year old, probably, not the seven year old, but maybe) can present an additional question some places have concerns about small children on game drives.

Start with some googling about general safari/game reserve/drive information, visiting a few travel agent sites for details of what they offer.

And, of course, here, FT. Check back over the last few screens of threads and you'll find more than a few safari-related threads to educate you on various aspects (or even just "travel to [Country/City Name]" threads as they often include safari-related queries. Where do you want to go? Kenya, South Africa, wherever? How much are you willing to spend? How much time do you have? Any "special requirements" - e.g. are you a photography nut, into hunting, a walker/hiker, fishing, nature person (e.g. do you want to bend down to look at every small grass, plant, berry, etc.).
Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: CO
Plan a Safari

If you want to save money you can do a self drive Safari in South Africa by going to Kruger national park. You can spend a week there driving around and
see all the Big 5 and lots of the little 5.
Here is a web site that has pictures plus you can click on the Interact where it shows travel reservations and such the interact one will drop down a menu and click on forums then on Kruger National Parks. There you will find so much info
and you can ask questions. This is a easy way to do things. I will be taking my
oldest daughter and my grandson who is 7 this June. Will spend 7 day in South Africa and 6 of them in Kruger. ^
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:10 pm

They really have some great options on luxurylink.com that are all-inclusive and would definitely take care of the kids.
http://www.luxurylink.com/fivestar/a...le-east/hotels
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:26 am

First of all, decide which country you'd like to visit for your safari. Secondly decide when ... does it co-incide with the rainy period in this country for example. Thirdly start to think about your budget, and what preparatory costs you might incur ... such as medical and trip insurance, vaccination costs (don't forget that you will need to have some 'exotic' vaccinations and medications that you won't need at home), visas and clothing - if the climate in the country you plan to visit is substantially different from your home country's summer.

Once you've got some idea what you're looking for, start by searching the internet for safari operators in the country you've chosen. It's good to see if the country has a national tourism agency that licences or regulates tour operators in case you have a problem.

You might find that Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet are also webforums that might help you to move forward in your choice of safari and operator.

Do be aware that it's important to have an established company that you can check up on, as there's always a risk of local 'scams' (as in every industry). Not all safari operators have agents in other countries or continents, but you shouldn't discount such operators just because of this.

Also, be aware that you will be flying a long distance so do include a bit of time to cope with any possible jetlag after your arrival and particularly because you have youngsters involved (and most safari days involve early starts and sitting in a vehicle for a fair period of time) allow for the odd 'down' day, using the hotel's pool or other children's activities ...

My personal experience has been in Kenya. When you have youngsters of your children's ages, I'd suggest looking for accommodation which has a pool and if possible children's activities. You won't necessarily need 'luxury', but make sure that the programme you choose suits your requirements ... and consider asking any company that you think offers good value for money to tailor make a trip for you. Consider asking for 'in-country' or 'land only' pricing so that you can organise your own flight, taking into account any 'advantages' that may be open to you through frequent flying and your own feeder flights to a main hub.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I'd recommend some study, determine what you want. (Kenya - kinda old hat and pretty crowded; Tanzania, much more unspoiled, as would be Botswana and southern Africa, but the latter are significantly farther to get to.)

If you want less crowded and a longtime company that specializes in family safaris, try http://www.thomsonsafaris.com. Judi Wineland owned and operated the original (family, not senior, oriented) Overseas Adventure Travel and Rick Thomson has been arranging and guiding Tanzania safaris over thirty years and are super reliable with a Sterling track record. I can't recommend these people enough, and their knowledge of Tanzania and working with families is unbeatable - assuming Tanzania is a place you'd want to go. We met Rick in 1986 in Arusha and the area; he was already in the Tanzanian safari business. They have been taking their own children to Tanzania for years, starting when they were very little kids.

They are US-based, so abide by all the US laws, are easily reachable, have their staffed offices in Watertown MA.

(Easiest - KLM to Arusha / Kilimanjaro International Airport connecting from AMS, but you can take KQ or BA to Nairobi / NBO and transfer by land across the border at Namanga.)

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 16, 2012 at 9:30 pm
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
You can save a ton of money by booking it over there...

I went through some of Africa on Honeymoon and our safari was several hundred rather than several thousand dollars.... we picked it up at one of the travel agencies in the big city (Dar Es Salam in our case).

You should consider timing, weather (as mentioned earlier) what you want to see, location etc.

One thing I learnt about too late was the Migration - annual event in Kenya that is supposed to be excellent - here is a little info on it

http://wildcatssafaris.com/best-of-w...ation-2012.php

Also I highly recommend a side trip to Zanzibar for a day or two if you are looking at Tanzania and possibly Kenya..
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Micato, which has a New York office, is consistently ranked at the top of the list of safari operators. Check out their itineraries.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:20 am

help needed in planning our africa safari trip

in fact, we are also planning with our 9 years for sometime before Christmas. we approached an operator and all that they need from us is the list of places and type of accommodation and no. of days we would like to cover/ stay. later realized, its obvious for anyone to give the quote basing on the information we provide.

for the first time, we are visiting; so finding tedious in planning it. so far some information we gathered via http://africafreak.com/blog/the-reci...-family-safari and a few other places. can anyone help us in spotting the must see locations. thank you. the max we can think of giving for our trip is 20 days.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT.

First of all, what country or countries are you planning on visiting?

Do I understand correctly that you are traveling with one or more children?

Johan
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by MKEbound
I'd like to take my family on Safari. I have two kids, currently 5 & 7.

How much do I need to budget, where should I go to book, does anyone have any experience or stories to share?
Grab a guidebook for an area with safaris. Lonely Planet's East Africa is a good choice because it covers Tanzania (Serengeti) and Kenya (Maasai Mara). Look up the recommended agencies and reach out to them.

Better yet, if you know anyone who has gone recently, get in touch with the company they used.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:11 pm

It Started in Africa

If Tanzania is on the table, talk with It Started in Africa ( http://www.itstartedinafrica.com ) . I did a safari with them and loved every bit of it.

In a few words, they made everything in their possibilities to transform this journey into the most amazing experience of my life.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.