Wiki Posts
Search

Starting to plan a trip to East Africa.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Starting to plan a trip to East Africa.

I am starting to plan a trip to East Africa. I plan on flying in/out of NBO. I would like to visit Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda. The main sights I am interested in are Killimanjaro in Tanzania and gorilla trekking in Uganda and Rwanda. Had been on safaris some years ago in Southern Africa and don't care for them. I have looked at flight schedules and I really don't know what the best routing is for a trip to these countries. I am not a patient traveller and have no desire to travel overland between these places. Can FTers who have travelled in this region please advise what route is best and which are the better airlines for travel within this region.

Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to talk to a travel agent or do some research of airlines in the area. Looking at airport web sites and working backwards is the way I do this. Consider airports other than NBO. Why in & out of NBO ?

Originally Posted by startpacking
... I am not a patient traveler and have no desire to travel overland between these places....
On that basis East Africa is not the place for you. Patience is needed in East Africa. Transport options are limited
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Consider airports other than NBO. Why in & out of NBO ?
I would rather fly a OW airline for the long haul flights, as I would like to requalify for status on OW. BA is my best bet as I would like a stopover in LHR. The only two BA destinations in the region are EBB and NBO, now that flights to DAR have been discontinued. Ideally an open jaw in to EBB and out of NBO or vice versa would be best - I'm not confident BA will not axe the EBB flight and think NBO is a safer bet.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Time to talk to a travel agent or do some research of airlines in the area. Looking at airport web sites and working backwards is the way I do this. Consider airports other than NBO. Why in & out of NBO ?

On that basis East Africa is not the place for you. Patience is needed in East Africa. Transport options are limited
Ha! That's the polite way to say that in the region clocks like we think of it isn't the same, but I love it.

Keep in mind if you're flying BA via Avios there's some hefty fuel surcharges you're going to have to pay. If revenue ticket then it doesn't matter.

KQ will probably get you anywhere in the region you want to go, but they aren't OW, and you probably can't do it as OJ's, maybe stopovers though. You could go into NBO - stop - EBB (destination), then back.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:50 pm
Suspended

I would rather fly a OW airline for the long haul flights.... BA is my best bet as I would like a stopover in LHR. The only two BA destinations in the region are EBB and NBO, now that flights to DAR have been discontinued. Ideally an open jaw in to EBB and out of NBO or vice versa would be best - I'm not confident BA will not axe the EBB flight and think NBO is a safer bet.
Concerning oneworld airlines:

AB flies to Mombasa from Munich.
BA flies to Abuja, Accra, Lusaka, Lagos, and Luanda from LHR.
IB flies to Luanda, Accra, Lagos, and Malabo from Madrid.
RJ flies to Khartoum from Amman.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:04 pm

Tanzania and Kenya to me are all about the safari and traveling overland. One of the most awesome experiences of my life was staying at a lodge on the edge of Ngorongoro crater in Tanzania.

If you aren't into that stuff, there are bigger mountains to be seen in more comfortable countries than Kili. Why not just do Rwanda/Uganda for the gorillas?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat
Stick to Kenya airways for regional flights. But I have to wonder, why travel to all those countries if all you want to see are the gorillas and Killimanjaro? You can only visit the gorillas briefly, and trekking Killimanjaro takes about a week to get acclimatized..
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
I am starting to plan a trip to East Africa. I plan on flying in/out of NBO. I would like to visit Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda. The main sights I am interested in are Killimanjaro in Tanzania and gorilla trekking in Uganda and Rwanda. Had been on safaris some years ago in Southern Africa and don't care for them. I have looked at flight schedules and I really don't know what the best routing is for a trip to these countries. I am not a patient traveller and have no desire to travel overland between these places. Can FTers who have travelled in this region please advise what route is best and which are the better airlines for travel within this region.

Thanks.
Nairobi is a good base for travel and a great city (posting from there now). Try the new Sankara hotel which looks great.

As others have said KQ is a good option for all your flights and I generally stick with them as much as I can on my travels. To and from Rwanda you can take Rwandair, which is fine.

You could do one trip NBO-KGL then KGL-EBB then EBB-NBO, and then a trip separately to Tanzania.

Enjoy.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Canuck2012
Stick to Kenya airways for regional flights.
There's no need to do that if KQ is not the lowest fare. There are viable alternatives, such as PW and WB.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:23 am

Well, Precision is affiliated with Kenya Airways. Safety can be questionable on smaller airlines such as Rwandair. Generally, Kenya airways is more dependable.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:24 am
Suspended

Precision Air is perfectly safe. Where is the evidence that RwandAir is unsafe?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Precision Air is perfectly safe. Where is the evidence that RwandAir is unsafe?
I believe he was saying that Precision Air IS safe, as opposed to Rwandair.

I've flown Precision a few times and I was actually pleasantly surprised at the quality and professionalism of their staff and aircraft.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:10 pm
Suspended

And where is the evidence that RwandAir is any less safe than Precision Air?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:36 am

Safety is a relative term in Africa. I say Kenya Airways, or even Precision is the safest as they are known to have high international standards. Airlines come and go in Africa, any wealthy politician or businessman can start their own airline, but it's the standards for maintenance, pilot training, and safety that are most important.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:05 pm
Suspended

South African Airways and Lufthansa do the maintenance of RwandAir's aircraft. So, I don't know why you're assuming it is less safe than airlines like Precision Air or even Kenya Airways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.