Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What wrong with South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 1:18 am
Original Poster

What wrong with South Africa?

I just heard about white people discrimination in South Africa? Is that true? please enlighten me.. thanks..
Old May 21, 2007, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Regarding race relations, there are issues in EVERY country. However, I found in my visit to JNB and CPT that South Africa has come farther in the 15ish years since apartheid than the US has in the 150ish years since slavery. I was quite surprised at the number of inter-racial couples and how racially integrated the society is. (Economic integration is another issue)
Old May 21, 2007, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by iluvmorocco
I just heard about white people discrimination in South Africa? Is that true? please enlighten me.. thanks..
Whered you hear it?
Old May 21, 2007, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

from other forum...

I got from it another forum... there is this thread wherein everybody's complaining about how some rules in South Africa are so unfair to white people... anyway, I asked because I'm currently on a trip in Morocco and I heard that S.A is a nice place to see, I might consider going there after my Morocco trip.
Old May 22, 2007, 5:58 am

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
I'd suppose the lingering effects of apartheid are still around for some white people, despite the brave actions of people like de Klerk and Nelson Mandela who fought against it.
You just heard? Perhaps a quick trip to a history book for apartheid might clear things up.
Old May 22, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Regarding race relations, there are issues in EVERY country. However, I found in my visit to JNB and CPT that South Africa has come farther in the 15ish years since apartheid than the US has in the 150ish years since slavery. I was quite surprised at the number of inter-racial couples and how racially integrated the society is. (Economic integration is another issue)
Having lived here for the past 6 months, I think this is very true. Cape Town has come such a long way since 1994, it still has a long way to go but it is quite different then the states.
Old May 22, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AMEX Centurion, SkyClub
Just got back from there -- CPT and JNB. Some of the nicest people in the world --- black, white, gay, etc., etc. I would put it on the top of any "must visit" list.

Agree with all of the comments about progress...a very long way to go as the ANC is still justs a Liberation Party and there's weak oposition. Once the ANC splits and you see broader representation from the DA Party things will get better. Competition is a good thing,
Old May 23, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
South Africa is one of the friendliest, most spectacular, and enjoyable places I have ever visited. Do go and enjoy the country!

As other posters have pointed out, the country still has its share of issues, but the progress they have made in little over 10 years after the end of apartheid is great.

Cheers,
T.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

thank you, thank you!

maybe the stories I read on the other forum are just isolated cases... hopefully. Coz I just want to enjoy my every trip.. I don't wanna get caught up with people fighting just because the color of their skins differ... thanks for your replies.
Old May 30, 2007, 5:49 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by bradfordm
Just got back from there -- CPT and JNB. Some of the nicest people in the world --- black, white, gay, etc., etc. I would put it on the top of any "must visit" list.
I grew up in South Africa during the 80's & 90's but have lived in the North of England for the past 7 years.

I have observed more racists and people with bad attitudes (towards people from other backgrounds) here in the UK than I ever did in South Africa. And both whites and Asians are just as guilty.

Sure there are some South Africans who are bitter about the past, but this is a very small minority. Smile and ask a South African how they are doing (Black or White) and you'll almost always get a friendly & welcoming response-one of the things which makes me proud to be a South African
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:06 am

I live in SA and know that even though we are far from perfect there is an enormous amount of goodwill toward other races. Not only are we trying to be tolerant towards one another we but are actively working together to help alleviate poverty and fight crime. Many white couples are also adopting babies from other races to help with the growing number of Aids orphans.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I heard many stories and warnings too when I transited J'burg before and after my trip to Madagascar. In the event, I was very sorry that I had not arranged to spend more time in South Africa, because the city and surrounding countryside were beautiful and the people I encountered friendly. There is violent crime, and you have to take normal precautions against violent crime, just as you would in United States, but I plan to visit again. At least to the tourist eye, it seems that they are making a great effort to educate about racism, apartheid, and HIV/AIDs, and to change their society. Any discussion of race was about how to end the heritage of apartheid and racism.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I have visited South Africa during, and since, the times of apartheid - most South Africans - by far - are trying to work hard for a unified future. Like any nation, there are people who feel they are disadvantaged - some who have always been "neither-nor" and some who are now feeling the lack of advantage. But the average visitor will not experience racism - possibly crime, depending on where they visit, like anywhere else, but not as likely racism, IMO.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:25 pm

if you are white, you are not black to many in south africa

maybe the stories I read on the other forum are just isolated cases... hopefully. Coz I just want to enjoy my every trip.. I don't wanna get caught up with people fighting just because the color of their skins differ... thanks for your replies.
yes the skin is different, but many will believe that the whole brain and mind is different because of that skin color and this divides. That is what they believe, not me, i would not be hear and could not embark on the trip that i am about to if i had the same fear i see in ALOT of people here.

Last edited by eligar; May 18, 2009 at 12:28 pm Reason: to be sure i said "they believe, not me" but still, it is what it is
Old May 22, 2009, 8:09 am
Suspended

You won't see any discrimination. it's only when you live there and start applying for jobs that you MAY start to see it. For a holiday, it's a perfect destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.