Safety in JNB/Pretoria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safety in JNB/Pretoria

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Safety in JNB/Pretoria

Hi everyone,

I am mildly worried by all the comments on street crime in South Africa. If I am visiting Pretoria (staying in Hilda Street, Hatfield, in a hotel), and I am flying into JNB, any special advice or precautions I should take?

Thanks in advance (and, to the locals - please don't be disgruntled at my questions: reports can be unjustified, and in that case I'm looking forward to your inputs)
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:35 pm
Ambassador

Reports aren't unjustified but just be sensible. Don't go walking around at night, don't display jewellery/watches/phone on your person and be wary of anything that seems suspect.

How are you getting from JNB to Pretoria?

To be honest I don't know the Hatfield area very well other than that it's quite popular with students so someone else can probably give more specific advice.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BA304
How are you getting from JNB to Pretoria?
This is a very good question. I was thinking of pre-booking a car transfer through my travel agents, but if there's a better suggestion I'm open to it.

During the stay in Pretoria our host (the university) will be shuttling us around in group, so it seems there's little to worry, given your suggestions.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:58 am
Ambassador

I think the Gautrain now goes to Hatfield although you would have to change trains at Sandton or Marlboro. Perhaps the hotel has a shuttle service from the station?

I imagine a car service would take around 90 minutes if the traffic isn't too bad. What time does your flight arrive?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by BA304
I imagine a car service would take around 90 minutes if the traffic isn't too bad.
Much less than that, even with traffic. It's highway driving for 90% of the route so traffic is relatively predictable most of the time. I did the route in reverse (Hatfield to Airport) in ~45 minutes on Tuesday morning this week.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Much less than that, even with traffic. It's highway driving for 90% of the route so traffic is relatively predictable most of the time. I did the route in reverse (Hatfield to Airport) in ~45 minutes on Tuesday morning this week.
Nice, this may even allow me to come back one day earlier catching my evening flight...
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:43 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by B747-437B
That's good. I didn't think Pretoria to JNB coud be done in that sort of time nowadays - I was just adding up the time I'd allow for Pretoria to Rivonia and then Rivonia out to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.