Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Travelling with an expired passport

Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I am an Irish citizen living in UK with dual citizenship for both Ireland and Nigeria. I need to travel to Nigeria immediately but my Irish passport is currently been renewed in the Irish embassy in Dublin, Ireland. Can I travel out of the UK without my Irish passport? I have a Nigerian passport but it has no visa in it prove I was living here legally. Furthermore, can the the Irish embassy issue a document showing my proof of residency if I am asked about my situation at the Airport?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:04 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Alancyber
Hello,

I am an Irish citizen living in UK with dual citizenship for both Ireland and Nigeria. I need to travel to Nigeria immediately but my Irish passport is currently been renewed in the Irish embassy in Dublin, Ireland. Can I travel out of the UK without my Irish passport? I have a Nigerian passport but it has no visa in it prove I was living here legally. Furthermore, can the the Irish embassy issue a document showing my proof of residency if I am asked about my situation at the Airport?
Welcome to Flyer Talk. To start with, please note that cross posting (posting the same message on more than one board) is against the rules.

To answer your question:

1. There is no Irish embassy in Dublin. You will only find an Embassy outside the country.
2. There is no routine passport control when leaving the UK, so theoretically there might be no problem. But they are obvioulsy allowed to check if they want to. And I guess you would have a problem in that case.
3 How are you going to return to the UK when you get back from Nigeria? You wont have an Irish passport so you would have to get a visa for your Nigerian one......
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
[QUOTE=thijsseh;17291913]Welcome to Flyer Talk. To start with, please note that cross posting (posting the same message on more than one board) is against the rules.

It is very strange for an "Irish citizen" to renew "Irish passport" at the "Irish embassy in Dublin".
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I think the OP means that his passport is in the passport office in Dublin. They are not issued in London, best as I know, but rather forwarded to Dublin for processing.

The OP can leave the UK, no problem on a non-EU passport, but may encounter some awkward questions if transiting - like why he has no entry stamp for the UK etc. The more important question is how to re-enter Europe.

In a true emergency, the easiest thing to to travel to Dublin and get an expedited passport - in 24 hours, if the emergency is true, verifiable and the travel is imminent.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:00 am

I have the exact same issue

Im traveling soon to Nigeria And Im a Irish Citizen renewing my passport . Ive sent the passport to the passport office over a month and theyve only now started to process it ( which isnt printing the passport) Ive been told its been prioritied but theres still others ahead could I fly to Nigeria with my Expired passport it expires only 6 days before my flight
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Graham Idah
Im traveling soon to Nigeria And Im a Irish Citizen renewing my passport . Ive sent the passport to the passport office over a month and theyve only now started to process it ( which isnt printing the passport) Ive been told its been prioritied but theres still others ahead could I fly to Nigeria with my Expired passport it expires only 6 days before my flight
Are you certain that you have the exact same situation as the OP had 7 years ago? Are you a citizen of both the UK and Ireland traveling from Ireland through the UK to Nigeria?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:15 pm

Actually I dont once

Originally Posted by Often1
Are you certain that you have the exact same situation as the OP had 7 years ago? Are you a citizen of both the UK and Ireland traveling from Ireland through the UK to Nigeria?
I actually dont once I just thought of it no Im just Irish that lives in the UK is there anyway I could still fly with an expired passport to Nigeria ? Im using Virgin Airlines Im 17
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:10 am

I would check that out with the embassy just to be safe!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Graham Idah
I would expect to be denied boarding on your flight. You need 6 months validity.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

And if the airline doesn't notice, Nigerian immigration likely will.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.