Search

Burundi visa-on-arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Question Burundi visa-on-arrival

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to East Africa in January, and am in the process of booking my flights. I've found a Brussels Airlines flight that arrives in Bujumbura that fits my itinerary, but I am wondering about the visa. I have a UK passport. This is what IATA's Timatic (http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/pass...quirements.htm) says:

"Visitors can obtain a visa on arrival for a max. stay of one month at Bujumbura (BJM) provided there is no diplomatic representation of Burundi in country of origin and if holding documents for their destination and onward tickets with reserved seats. Fee: USD 40.- (for a stay of max. 72 hours) or USD 90.- (for a stay of more than 72 hours up to one month)."

There is no Burundian Embassy in the UK, however, the embassy in Brussels is cross-accredited (it looks like visas are available there for Euro 50). Of course, I'd rather go for the visa on arrival option as it's much cheaper, and avoids me having to send my passport to Brussels. Has anyone recently got a visa at the airport? I was also confused by their "holding documents for their destination and onward tickets with reserved seats" comment. What documents? Hotel reservation? Or onward travel details? I will be flying from Kigali to Zanzibar, then Dar Es Salaam to Zurich, so will have a ticket for that, but was hoping to take the bus from Bujumbura to Kigali, which obviously can't be reserved. Ideas? if necessary, I can get a friend at a travel agent to make a reservation for a flight to Kigali, which I can show them, then cancel the flight.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I think your info is out of date. I don't believe you can get visa on arrival at Burundi anymore. You should call Brussels Airline to check, because I doubt they would let you board the plane without a visa.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by stimpy
I think your info is out of date. I don't believe you can get visa on arrival at Burundi anymore. You should call Brussels Airline to check, because I doubt they would let you board the plane without a visa.
I got the info from TIMATIC last week - shouldn't that be 100% up to date?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I don't know what TIMATIC is. Are they reliable? The US State department says...

In January 2010, the Government of Burundi issued a diplomatic note stating that travelers would no longer be able to obtain entry visas upon arrival at ports of entry and should apply for visas from their nearest Burundian Embassy or consulate.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1078.html
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't know what TIMATIC is.
TIMATIC is the source most airlines use to determine visa rules. I know it's the Star Alliance Standard - but doesn't mean Brussels Airlines doesn't have its own list (or perhaps more up to date info.)

That said, I've never gotten incorrect info from TIMATIC...yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.