Forget Marrakech...Tangier's now Morocco's hot spot

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 11:17 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

....so says Conde Nast Traveler.

I know I'm one of the few on FT who recommends Tangier, so wanted to share this article. For those of you who made a cruise ship stop in Tangier & got turned off by the tireless touts, know that Tangier's really cracked down on that stuff in an effort to improve its image...and it's worked. From what I understand, tour guides face fines for pestering tourists, and when we were in Tangier for ~5 days last spring, not a single person asked us if we needed a guide or tried to steer us to his friend's restaurant or his uncle's rug store or his brother's spice shop. It was a refreshing change.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I love Tangier!
Old May 15, 2012, 6:30 pm

Smile

Any experience booking award flts from the US to Morocco? Ideally starting from SFO but any advice would be appreciated. We're planning a trip in 2013 and wondering which airlines we should start accumulating miles for an award flt.

I tried Delta: SFO-RBA but not seeing any available flts on the delta.com web site.

thanks!
Old May 16, 2012, 2:17 am
Ambassador

If you want to fly into Rabat, there aren't many options (AF, Royal Air Maroc and a few seasonal services).

It would be easier to use Casablanca or Marrakech as an entry point.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Your best bets are with a SkyAlliance airline (Delta, which allows you to connect in Paris for an Air France flight to Morocco) or OneWorld (American, which allows you to connect in Madrid for an Iberia flight to Morocco).

As BA304 mentioned, Casablanca is one of the main international hubs. (I haven't Marrakech flights recently, so I'll take his/her word for it that Marrakech is also seeing a lot of international flights.) If you're willing to transfer to a low-cost carrier in Europe--which may require a lot more coordination, including changing airports--you will have more choices of arrival cities in Morocco.

The train from Casablanca to Rabat is only about an hour.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I just returned from a 14 day roundtrip through Morocco. The intinary was:

Rabat
Fes
Merzouga (Erg-Chabbi)
Ait Ben Haddou
Imlil (Atlas Mountain Region below Toubkal Mountain)
Marrakech
El Jadida
Casablanca

My favorite was Fes. Definitely the most original medina in Morocco. Not like Marrakech which is very touristy. Still for a first visit to Morocco Marrakech is okay but if you want to see the real Morocco you need to go to Fes.

All in all Morocco is a great country with so many different landscapes to visit.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:50 pm
Ambassador

What did you think of the Imlil region? I've spent quite a bit of time hiking around the area.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by BA304
What did you think of the Imlil region? I've spent quite a bit of time hiking around the area.
A realy great area. I really enjoyed the place.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Another flight option if you wanted to get to Tangier would be flying into Gibraltar (and going to the top of the Rock) then hopping on the fast ferry to Tangier, I think it was around 3 hours when I did it back in 2000.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Another flight option if you wanted to get to Tangier would be flying into Gibraltar (and going to the top of the Rock) then hopping on the fast ferry to Tangier, I think it was around 3 hours when I did it back in 2000.
I don't think there's a Gibraltar to Tangier ferry any more. I think ferries now run to the recently opened Tangier Med port, which is about 40 km from the city of Tangier.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Been driving all over Morocco and Tangiers is the only city that is serving Alcohol freely during Ramadan. Just an FYI.

Casablanca - Meh, it's a metropolitan city. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency.

Marrakech - More "cultural" than Casablanca and more authentic. Stayed at the Le Meridien.

Fez - Tourist Trap capital.

Tangiers - Sorta like Miami Beach lite....
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:56 pm
Suspended

I'm looking at flight options from BOS to RAK for Christmas, but everything seems to involve multiple stops with horrible long layovers. If there is an IRROPS due to winter weather the entire trip would collapse.
Not sure what to do.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 1:49 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I'm looking at flight options from BOS to RAK for Christmas, but everything seems to involve multiple stops with horrible long layovers. If there is an IRROPS due to winter weather the entire trip would collapse.
Not sure what to do.
You could do one stop with BA but you would have to change from LHR to LGW (which isn't the end of the world).
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I was just in Tangiers earlier this month (Morocco Road trip) and it's definitely a great town. With plenty of bars and clubs, all along the beach. I would recommend Hotel Continental, it's less than 5 minutes walk from the beach/bars/clubs and for what you get, it's a bargain. Just make sure to ask for an a/c room.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, Miami Beach lite doesn't come close to describing the Tangier I know. It's more like Dar Es Salaam. I don't know the whole town, but driving from the ferry terminal to the Rabat highway is not that pretty at all. An Ibis was the only clean hotel I could find when the ferry was shut down due to slightly rough seas. This was a few years ago. Are there any better hotels now?

As for flights, I would recommend flying to Paris and relax for a day or two, then fly down on AT. AT is an excellent airline and way better than AF or any other Euro airline either in economy or business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.