Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Nairobi, Kenya - what to do layover - several days?

Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Nairobi, Kenya - what to do long layover to several days?

Nairobi, Kenya's vibrant capital, offers several things of interest, some described in detail within this thread, including:

Langata Rd. / Karen area:
Langata Giraffe Centre (Rothschild's giraffes - afternoons after school groups leave)
and overnight at the upscale Giraffe Manor (giraffe visitors for breakfast)
David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (Elephant Orphanage)
Karen Blixen House (home of writer Karen Blixen / Isak Dinesen of "Out of Africa" fame)
Kazuri bead and pottery factory (handcrafts)
Utamaduni Craft Centre & Verandah Restaurant
Bomas of Kenya (traditional dancers)
Mamba Village (home to crocodiles)
House of Treasures (global handicrafts)
Carnivore Restaurant (name says it all)

Not far from above: Nairobi National Park (early morning best for game viewing)
Nairobi Safari Walk

Downtownish:
National Museum of Kenya (including Joy Adamson's ethnographic paintings)
National Railroad Museum
Maasai Market (weekly)

African Wildlife Foundation (http://www.awf.org) local non-profit conservation

Out of town day trips:
Lake Naivasha or Hell's Gate National Park
Olorgesailie pre-historic site and museum (3 hours drive each way) etc.

Dining: (Indian, Ethiopian, Italian, Indian Ocean food in particular)
Print Wikipost

Nairobi, Kenya - what to do layover - several days?

Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:38 pm

Haha, I meant I hope the RESTAURANT won't mind all the luggage we have with us since we'll be checked out of the hotel.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Haha, I meant I hope the RESTAURANT won't mind all the luggage we have with us since we'll be checked out of the hotel.
If you are dining in the hotel restaurant, you can leave the luggage with the concierge and collect on your way out.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Zoos? Heaven forfend!

Better plan for Nairobi. If you want to see animals, have a driver take you to the Nairobi National Park; you will see animals, in the wild.

You could go to Langatta, and visit Karen Blixen House, built by Baron Bror von Blixen Fincke and his wife, the Baroness Karen Blixen. She is better know under her preudonym "Isak Dinesen" through her most prominent book, "Out of Africa"

Close by is the African Foundation for Endangered Wildlife's Langatta Giraffe Centre (open afternoons after school hours to the public, iirc) and interact with Rothchild's giraffe subspecies, very few of them left (both in the Ngong Hills area).

The National Museums of Kenya can be visited - the collections include Joy Adamson's (most only know her for the "Born Free" books and movie) excellent portraits of native peoples of a number of tribes.

For railroad lovers there's always the National Railroad Museum - lots of old steam and rolling stock from the old EAR&H and EAR, with some interesting old rolling stock and even three functioning steamers one can ask to see.

If anyone has read "The Maneaters of Tsavo" (or seen the several movies based on the book), this was about when the "Lunatic Express" was under construction, at the new bridge at Tsavo it was plagued by man-eating lions. In 1898 two male lions attacked and killed 35 or more workers (you can see their bodies in Chicago's Field Museum, known as FMNH 23970 (killed 9 December 1898) and FMNH 23969 (killed 29 December 1898).

Other lions were also attacking people: in 1899, road engineer O'Hara was dragged out of his tent in Voi and killed. On 6 June 1900 "at Kima station, Police Superintendent C. H. Ryall was sleeping in his observation saloon, number 13, when he was killed by a lion which entered the carriage and dragged the body through a window and off into the bush." Two others barely escaped; the lion was trapped and shot.

(We enjoyed the slow, lumbering old-timey experience of travelling from Mombasa to Nairobi overnight in the "Lunatic Express" sleeping cars. No lions, I am happy to report. This is an experience I recommend, though obviously it is only for a longer stay.)
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:41 am

Nairobi

In Nairobi I would visit the giraffe center and Sheldrake's elephant orphanage. The orphanage has a one hour time slot at about noon each day for viewing but if you adopt a baby elephant (I think it is $50 USD on line) you can come back at 4:00 pm to visit with your elephant. You make the arrangements on line.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Plat
For animals, I would check out the Nairobi Safari walk (basically a cool zoo) which is somewhat close to the airport. I would also recommend the Giraffe center in Langata, although it is slightly farther away from what I can remember. The Kazuri bead factory is also in Langata and they have tours where you can see people handmaking beads.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
3 nights in Nairobi prior to Tanzania Safari- where to stay/what to do?

Our Safari tour beings in Arusha on Friday, Oct 31st. We arrive in Nairobi on the Tuesday before, giving us 3 nights there. Arriving 10:30am Tuesday, that day will be shot... endless travel from SFO to get there, hopefully hit the bed and sleep.

Seems like a lot of good day trips out of Nairobi, but should we stay somewhere on the outskirts, near Karen? Are there locations that are better, as a base for daytrips, than others? And aside from Karen House, the Giraffes and Elephants, any other must-see things in the Nairobi area?

The idea would be to have a relatively-relaxing time prior to the safari. I don't mind staying at a "touristy" place if it's convenient as far as getting picked up for day trips.

My preference would be to avoid renting a car if possible. I haven't yet driven on the "wrong" side of the road and don't want to start after being severely jet-lagged. I have a tough-enough time as a pedestrian in London or Sydney.

By the way, we'll be flying from NBO to JRO on Friday to catch our Safari. Probably around noon.

Thanks-
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There's about 50 similar threads here, full of different ideas. Me I prefer to stay downtown at the IC or Hilton. Leaving town in the early morning you won't have any traffic. Lake Nakuru is the best place to visit, but you need to rent a car, or go on a tour bus or matatu. For the Nairobi national park, ditto, but you can also haggle with a taxi driver to get a good price.

The good thing about the IC is you have a nice pool, gym, steam and sauna, etc. to get over your jet lag. And there are fun bars and restaurants nearby.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by stimpy
There's about 50 similar threads here, full of different ideas. Me I prefer to stay downtown at the IC or Hilton. Leaving town in the early morning you won't have any traffic. Lake Nakuru is the best place to visit, but you need to rent a car, or go on a tour bus or matatu. For the Nairobi national park, ditto, but you can also haggle with a taxi driver to get a good price.

The good thing about the IC is you have a nice pool, gym, steam and sauna, etc. to get over your jet lag. And there are fun bars and restaurants nearby.
Yes, I did peruse the various threads, and found many ideas for what to do, not so much for what to use as a base. And the "downtown" issue... many posts imply that "downtown" isn't going to give you the safest feeling. This doesn't bother me, but my wife is another story. So, from her perspective, the ideal situation would be someplace with a wall of brochures/cards showing things do that allow for pickup from your hotel. So great, she'd like Palm Springs or Anaheim. I would prefer something out in the 'sticks, maybe a central location to a few key places, and not spend too much time in a hotel.

This part of the trip can't be too expensive, since we're spending my version of a lot of money on the Safari in Tanzania. I appreciate that my version of a lot of money isn't what many here would think of as a lot of money.

What I should probably do is buy a map, plot out where things are, and go from there. But if somebody had an idea of a spot on the map that would be central to a couple day's activities, activities being things a bit different than what you'd see on an actual Safari, that would be great. Hells Gate looks interesting, the Giraffe and Elephant rescues are high on the list. Shopping is not on the list. Long hikes don't work out; I'd climb Kilimanjaro on a whim but she'd be dead on a flat hike of 3 miles.

Thanks, appreciate your reply!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess downtown looks scary to white people because of all the black people. But as I grew up in Chicago I have no issues walking around downtown. But if you want to hang out in a place where there's more white folks, then I can suggest one of the lodges at Lake Nakuru. Google around to choose. I've never stayed at one of these places, but I have popped in for a beer a couple of times. They seem nice and relaxing and family friendly. I'm sure they will come pick you up at NBO. Just guessing, but one looks expensive and another one more on the Holiday Inn level.

Alternatively you can add a round trip to Mombasa on your trip and find a nice beach resort.

And as for a hotel with a wall of brochures/cards and pick up from the hotel, the IC and Hilton fit that bill.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:59 am

I guess downtown looks scary to white people because of all the black people. But as I grew up in Chicago I have no issues walking around downtown. But if you want to hang out in a place where there's more white folks, then I can suggest one of the lodges at Lake Nakuru. Google around to choose. I've never stayed at one of these places, but I have popped in for a beer a couple of times. They seem nice and relaxing and family friendly. I'm sure they will come pick you up at NBO. Just guessing, but one looks expensive and another one more on the Holiday Inn level.

Alternatively you can add a round trip to Mombasa on your trip and find a nice beach resort.

And as for a hotel with a wall of brochures/cards and pick up from the hotel, the IC and Hilton fit that bill.
I think if there was an issue being around black folk, we'd probably go someplace other than Africa? Just sayin'.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Sep 7, 2014 at 2:23 am Reason: Over-reacted to something that wasn't there
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you totally misunderstood my post...or the concept. But no worries.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:24 am

I think you totally misunderstood my post...or the concept. But no worries.
And I shouldn't assume the worst and over-react. I've modified my response appropriately. Thanks-
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Mike, have you had a look at Trip Advisor. There are lots of posts similar to yours with loads of feedback.

I would stay in Karen, and use that as a base to explore Nairobi, or just chill out by the pool. But Trip Advisor has heaps of ideas for what to do, and where to stay.

RWA
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriot,AA,SAA, UA
Nairobi zoo

Seems odd especially coming back from the Mara, but I really enjoyed it. Kenyans all dressed up and I was the only <Mzungu>. The cheetah keepers let me in the cage with 2 subadult cheetahs and I fed them by hand big chunks of meat while they were sitting in my lap. Have the pix to prove it. I also enjoyed the giraffe place although the tourist feeding slobbery giraffes with their mouths made me want to puke. The lake is ok for flamingos

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 2015 at 1:24 pm Reason: Correction
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA | EK | SPG
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
The idea would be to have a relatively-relaxing time prior to the safari. I don't mind staying at a "touristy" place if it's convenient as far as getting picked up for day trips.
In July I stayed at the Safari Park hotel. Reasonable prices, and the grounds are beautiful! Expect a lot of weddings to be taking place while you're there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.