Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 4, 11, 8:02 am   #1

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
South Africa’s yellow fever policy - revised

My husband and I received the following message from our safari company in regard to our South Africa/Zambia/Botswana trip in early July:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) has revised the Yellow Fever vaccination recommendations for Africa. The South African Department of Health has subsequently issued a statement indicating their intention of implementing the following requirements for travelers from and to South Africa:

Returning travelers from South Africa to Zambia and those travelling from Zambia to South Africa will now require proof of Yellow Fever vaccination. Previously, proof of Yellow Fever vaccination was not required.

All in-transit passengers between the two destinations, irrespective of the time period in transit, will also require proof of Yellow Fever vaccination.

Source: South African Society of Travel Medicine (SASTM)

Although there still seems to be some discrepancy on the date of inception of the above recommendations, we highly recommend that all travelers to Zambia, even if you will not be leaving the airport, obtain a Yellow Fever certificate prior to international departure from their residence in case of sudden implementation by the Department.

Please note, that the date of this requirement has not yet been determined, the CDC and WHO websites do not offer any additional information on this issue."

Travelers immunized against Yellow Fever are issued with an internationally recognized vaccination certificate for inspection by immigration officials. This certification is valid for 10 years. The international health regulations concerning Yellow Fever are unequivocal, and unvaccinated travelers may face denial of entry, or even quarantine in certain circumstances.

Vaccinations clinics are available at airports in Livingstone, Zambia at US$80.00, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe at US$50.00 per person, and in South Africa at ZAR 430.00 (approx. $64.00) per person, subject to change."

If you have plans to travel South Africa-Zambia- South Africa soon you might want to look into getting a yellow fever vacination before you leave home to avoid possibly having to get one upon arrival in Zambia.
Luckily, my husband's and my yellow fever certificates are up to date due to prior trips to Africa.
east_of_the_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 11, 4:02 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As reported here in a few threads, South Africa often requires yellow fever certs when arriving from other African cities. But it's a sometimes yes, sometimes no thing. And sometimes they only ask the black people, but not the whites. When traveling in Africa, you should always have this cert. If you never end up needing it, count yourself lucky.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 11, 8:42 pm   #3

Programs: Amex Gold Pref. Rwds, Mariott Gold, AA Gold
Yellow Fever update?

I've been searching for updates on the yellow fever policy but have not found anything definitive. Does anyone have any information that they can share?

I will be flying from JFK to JNB, JNB to CPT

My issue is CPT to LVI (livingstone Zambia) which once I land will be transported via car to a safari camp in Botswana.

Then from Maun to JNB, JNB to JFK.

Any help?
byb310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 11, 3:27 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said above, you should always carry the cert with you. Because you never know what you will get when you cross the border. There is no policy that you will find on the Internet. This is Africa and there is no consistency in this regard.
Old Jun 9, 11, 9:44 am   #5

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Varying Levels w/ UA / LH / DL / AF / SQ / TG / AA / QF / ET
Quote:
Originally Posted by byb310 View Post
I've been searching for updates on the yellow fever policy but have not found anything definitive. Does anyone have any information that they can share?

My issue is CPT to LVI (livingstone Zambia) which once I land will be transported via car to a safari camp in Botswana.

Any help?
Although the OP's quote said that SA has the "intention" to implement, there is no time frame noted. I would suggest you go ahead and get the vaccination to be safe. I don't know about NYC, but any clinic (hospital) in SA can do this for you, so if you'll be spending time in CPT before flying to LVI, you can get the vaccination there. The mere fact that you're touching Zambia means that you'll need the vaccination proof if/when SA decides to implement this. I *have* had to show my vaccination proof *once* upon arrival at JNB (out of a dozen or so flights from required countries), but you don't want to be one of the people that is forced to get vaccinated upon arrival in SA.
TravelinWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 11, 11:01 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly View Post
I don't know about NYC.
Unless things have changed, you can get a Yellow fever shot and certificate anywhere in the US for free or maybe $20 or so at the most.
Old Jun 9, 11, 11:32 am   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Unless things have changed, you can get a Yellow fever shot and certificate anywhere in the US for free or maybe $20 or so at the most.
Things have definitely changed.

I've never heard of yellow fever vaccines in the USA for free. They run $130-200 and are generally only available at a limited number of clinics. Oh, and I had to make an appointment a few days in advance as they have to get it delivered from a depot and it must be injected in a limited time frame or it isn't effective.

The guy who did mine in NYC was quite nice and I'd be happy to pass on the info if anyone wants. I think it was $175 and insurance is not accepted.
sbm12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 11, 6:12 pm   #8

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Varying Levels w/ UA / LH / DL / AF / SQ / TG / AA / QF / ET
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Things have definitely changed.
You are correct. And you're very diplomatic. I could learn from you.

When I tried to get one in the USA in 2005 it was such a PITA (and inconvenient and so much more expensive than in SA) that I finally just went to the Sandton Medi-Clinic during lunch and got it done there quickly and cheaply.
Old Jun 9, 11, 6:42 pm   #9

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
My yellow fever shot cost about $170.00 ( 3 years ago) and I had to make an appointment to get the shot at one of the designated yellow fever vaccine clinics in my state.

The CDC has a list of US clinics on its site: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-f...ics/search.htm

Last edited by east_of_the_sun; Jun 9, 11 at 6:53 pm.
east_of_the_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 11, 12:25 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did mine about 9 years ago, and I guess that means it will soon be time for a new one. I got it in Palos Verdes, CA for around $20 and it was very easy. That CDC site that east_of_the_sun noted is a good one. You can use that to shop around if you are in the US.
Old Jun 11, 11, 12:50 pm   #11

Years ago, I went on a safari trip from SA up to Kenya. The tour guide had his own little stamp with which stamped and then signed the vaccination certificates of those who had failed to get their shots. Worked like a charm.

I was also once given a fake 100% official cholera certificate in Holland. Dutch vaccination clinics do not give cholera inoculations, as they consider them unsafe. Instead, they stamp the certificate and add the letters N.I. (niet ingeënt = not inoculated).

Johan
johan rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 11, 3:48 pm   #12

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by byb310 View Post

Any help?
I've gotten a warning from my travel agent about this. I'll be traveling to Zambia this weekend. The information I've found says that SA will be implementing these policies end of June.

http://www.mysafari.com/forum/clarif...frica-269-view

Given your itinerary, I would assume that the SA authorities would require that you have a Yellow Fever vaccination upon arrival in JNB from Maun given your stopover in Livingstone. Bear in mind that it takes 10 days for the vaccine to take effect, so you can't wait until the last minute.

Double check with your safari operator or camp.
escog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 11, 11:23 am   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by escog View Post
Bear in mind that it takes 10 days for the vaccine to take effect, so you can't wait until the last minute.
SA immy is not going to care about the date of the vaccination - they just want to see proof that that the traveler entering the RSA has had the vaccination within the 10 year period for which the vaccination is good.

SA immy checking on the vaccination is spotty at best, however better safe than sorry (sorry = being detained and given the shot on arrival in SA).

Last edited by TravelinWilly; Jun 15, 11 at 12:25 pm. Reason: Clarity