Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

What to do ~ a week in Cape Town / Area ("Capetown")?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

Does anyone think I'm crazy for planning to stay at the same hotel in Cape Town for 6 days? I'm looking to learn more about the history of South Africa and the native African people. I want to see Robben Island, Table Mountain, do some township tours, and do some music tours (see www.andulela.com.) I've been curious about rugby and would like to watch a local game; however, I'm not sure if it'll be in season when I'll be there and if games are played during the middle of the week.

Any other advice? I'll be traveling towards the end of May, 2012.

If I cut the stay short, I'll need to use the balance of time elsewhere, as I'll have to be in Durban after those 6 days. (I'll be running the Comrades marathon for the second time.)

I went to South Africa last year and spent 4 days in Kruger National Park and in a private game reserve next to it. So, I really don't need to go on a safari trip the second time around.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 15, 2015 at 12:34 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:41 am

Smile

hey,

For learning about history of Cape Town,robben island is the palce which you already have on your list.

Plus some village safaris to Langa and Khayelitsha would be good.

There is a great variety of things to do in Cape Town..

Why dont you chekout http://www.capetown-beach-vacations.com

For top attraction - http://www.capetown-beach-vacations....tractions.html

For adventures - http://www.capetown-beach-vacations....cape-town.html

For more things to do -
1) http://www.capetown-beach-vacations....own-tours.html
2) http://www.capetown-beach-vacations....ngs-To-Do.html

Im sure you are gona find 6 days too less to explore everything this city has to offer...

Have a great time!
Suchi
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:21 am

Comrades? Again? I'll say to you what I said my uncle "in law" who's ran it 9+ times. You're nuts. I did 2Oceans twice and thought I was dumb. Second time I qual'ed for Comrades and I ran for the hills (no pun intended) rather than running Comrades.

Anywho...

Do you arrive in SA on the late afternoon/night of day 1 in CPT and/or have to leave CPT on day 6. If that's the case you really only have 4 days.

You could certainly do Robben Island and Table Mountain in one day. Super 14/15 rugby is certainly in season right now. But the games are Fri/Sat/Sun.

Can't help with the music or townships.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Do you arrive in SA on the late afternoon/night of day 1 in CPT and/or have to leave CPT on day 6. If that's the case you really only have 4 days.
I'll have 5-6 full days in Cape Town. Just want to make sure I won't get bored or regret staying there that long at one time.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
You can easily spend an entire day driving down the cape. You can also spend a day on a daytrip to wine country. My wife and I spent four full days in Cape Town and definitely could have stayed a few more.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Does anyone think I'm crazy for planning to stay at the same hotel in Cape Town for 6 days?
Crazy? Hell, no. This is one of the world's great cities.

All the above advice is right. Remember that May will be approaching the southern hemisphere midwinter, so it may be cool and damp, a little like Virginia in November? Of course, Western Cape has probably the mildest climate in SA so you may have wall-to-wall sunshine.

About Cape Town, try to visit Robben Island and Table Mountain (if you want to take the cable car) as soon as you can as both can be affected by poor weather conditions, especially wind. Robben Island trips can be prebooked.

For hotel bookings, it's worth looking at www.bid2stay.co.za operated by the City Lodge group. You can bid on named hotels for specific dates, you're allowed 3 bids per day and if unsuccessful can try again next day. In summer, they're limited to Fri/Sat/Sun nights but in winter are often available all week. We nabbed a 5-night stay at the City Lodge V&A Cape Town for about half the rack rate in February.

(I wish I was there now ...)
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:31 pm

If learning more about the culture and people is your thing there is a great tour company in Durban called street scene tours. I did an amazing Ghandi trail with them around Durban, but they have so many other options! If you feel 6 days in Cape winter is too much then maybe adding an extra day on in Durban to do that will be better since in May the weather in Durban is perfect
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: QF LTSG; Accor, Starwood, IHG
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
I've been curious about rugby and would like to watch a local game; however, I'm not sure if it'll be in season when I'll be there and if games are played during the middle of the week.

Any other advice? I'll be traveling towards the end of May, 2012.
If you're going in May, you'll bethere during the Super Rugby season. Super Rugby is a competition of 15 teams from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. The Western Cape's team in this competition is the Stormers, who currently lead the South African conference.

The Stormers play most of their home games at Newlands Rugby Stadium in the southern suburbs, but occasionally play some games in George. It will be the luck of the draw, as the Stormers will have a tour to Australia and NZ during the season that will mean they'll be away from Cape Town for 4-5 weeks.

Newlands is a fantastic venue to watch a big game. The crowd is very passionate but also hospitable.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:07 pm

I spent 10 nights there by myself in November/December and never got bored. There were things I didn't even make it to (Aquarium, Jewish Museum, tea at the Mount Nelson) that I'll do on my next trip.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Alysia, do you have a blog or a trip report of your trip? My mom and I are hoping to visit there, first time visitors to Capetown for me, first time visit to Africa for her, in November. I would love to read your story.

Originally Posted by Alysia
I spent 10 nights there by myself in November/December and never got bored. There were things I didn't even make it to (Aquarium, Jewish Museum, tea at the Mount Nelson) that I'll do on my next trip.
CephasO likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Spent 5 days in Cape Town last May. The weather was wonderful, with Table Mountain being clear every afternoon. I still didn't get to all the places I wanted to.

If you like Ethiopian food, try Addis in Cape. Really good.

I found Cape Town really great. I did a lot of walking.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:58 am

Cape Town

I've lurked here for a while and only now found reason to post.

I visited Capetown last year at the start of their spring. I chose a spot on the beach with a view of the table massif because I like to kite surf. There weren't any good hotels by the beach there so I chose a new B&B on sunset beach (it was pretty cheap compared with a 4*) which turned out to have hotel spec rooms due to it's newness.

The great thing was the owners were so friendly and in essence acted as free tour guides. They made my trip with suggestions of activities and even gave me a lift around in their car before i'd sorted my hire.

edit: B&B i used: http://www.africarose.co.za/welcome/index.html

I would suggest finding a similar spot so you get access to up to date news on activities in and around the city.

Some of my highlights were a coast drive throught the cape reserve, sea food in Hermanus, windswept morning runs along the beach (Sunset/Milnerton ?) with THAT view. I also enjoyed walks near the Kirstenbosch gardens and into the nature reserve there and a walk up Paarl rock combined with the winelands. I'm outdoorsy and walking with new vistas is my thing.

Next time i'd like to hike in the Hottentots and go inland to Kruger. Perhaps go on a 4x4 tour in the dunes up the west coast too.

There's so much to do but a first trip must include a walk (or lift) up table mountain when the tablecloth is absent (tricky) and the boat to robben island to understand a little more of the cultural history of the place.

I'll try and find the site of the place i stayed and add it later.

Last edited by CptBorg; Jul 12, 2011 at 4:04 am Reason: Accomm link
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
Originally Posted by MatthewT
You can also spend a day on a daytrip to wine country.
My fiancé and I spent a week and Cape Town and skipped wine country. It's one of the few things we really regretted not doing, so I'd definitely recommend it.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Question South Africa - Capetown Recommendations Sought

Hi - Was looking for some recommendations. I'll be arriving in Capetown on Feb 14th Evening and departing on Feb 21st early evening.

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to a company that has a tour or set of tours that I could take (I'm traveling by myself) for the 7 days I'll have on ground over there. Wouldn't mind sneaking in a few days of a Safari if possible.

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Was about to post the same thing! Last minute trip just booked.

Would love any recos for (1) hotels and (2) tour operators, in CT area and maybe Garden Route. Don't wanna drive.

Not looking for lots of luxury, more low key and pleasant. Appreciate any thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.