Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

What to do ~ a week in Cape Town / Area ("Capetown")?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do ~ a week in Cape Town / Area ("Capetown")?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:13 am
rev

I figured the cage diving would be controversial. That was the first thing I booked, and a while ago, off of a friends recommendation but I believe it can be cancelled...for what it's worth I do remember seeing something about ethics on the companies webpage. I'll have to look more into them before looking to continue. Elephant riding and anything with the lions through that 3 day tour has us pay for on the spot for activities so it's easy to pass and fill with another activity. It was just on the itinerary so I thought I'd mention it here, and I'm glad I did!

I also will be with a guide on Table mountain on the way up and doing the cable car down, which was recommended by the guide I talked to on my fitness and adventure level.

Glad to see V&A is so close to my first two nights at the Raddison Waterfront! Any good particular pub recommendations in the city too? I like me a good craft...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
The cage dive isn't really controversial, I guess I just hope people realise how those experiences are gained. But you are right, there are lots of recommendations for it, I am sure you will get an adrenalin filled experience!

As for bars, the Den Anker at V&A serves Belgian beer and the Ferryman / Mitchells is a brewhouse. There are lots and lots of pubs, bars and restaurants on and around Long Street; the Brewhouse has ~100 varieties of beer and I am sure there are others. There are also local breweries with tap rooms out to the east of the city centre if you are happy to get a taxi. The usual caveats of keeping your wits about you when wandering around the city centre at night hold, just like any other city.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
I have done the Cage dive and for what is is worth, first part of the session was spent with a strong conservation angle. Might be just for show but I appreciated the willingness to educate as well. AS for the actual diving.. amazing experience! But I suppose it comes down to personal preference...
Can also recommend plattekloof gorge, really nice hike. Maybe also look at Lions head night hike, quite a nice outing
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:15 am

Base in Cape Town For 1st Timer

Hello,

What area of Cape Town would be the best to see all the sights/restaurants and is most centrally located to everything? I would prefer to walk as much as possible and limit the cabs/ubers. From my research the best area to stay in for all that would be Camps Bay? Not sure if that is right or not though but seems like the place to be.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I'm truly puzzled by this. Camps Bay does have a buzzy restaurant scene but if you look on Google maps it is very obvious that the only interesting place you could comfortably walk to from Camps Bay is Clifton.

Having said that I don't think any place will satisfy your criteria. Not sure what your interests are but if you plot the spots you think you want to see (Table Mountain, Robben Island, Waterfront, Cape Point - for arguments sake) you will find they are pretty far flung. What you might want to do is put yourself on a convenient bus route or near a stop of one of the hop-on hop-off buses.

With more information on your plans/tastes I'm sure you would get more helpful answers.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:37 am

Sorry for the lack of info. I actually started to look a bit more and the Waterfront seems to be where the majority of the action is based on most Hotels being there. Would this be like the nerve center of Cape Town? Want to be relatively close to the action.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Sorry, but a bit off-topic. Can you give me your thoughts on activity level over Christmas time? I will be in CPT for four nights beginning Christmas day. Will most shops, etc. remain open in the immediate days following December 25th, or will it be a ghost town.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I'm truly puzzled by this. Camps Bay does have a buzzy restaurant scene but if you look on Google maps it is very obvious that the only interesting place you could comfortably walk to from Camps Bay is Clifton.

Having said that I don't think any place will satisfy your criteria. Not sure what your interests are but if you plot the spots you think you want to see (Table Mountain, Robben Island, Waterfront, Cape Point - for arguments sake) you will find they are pretty far flung. What you might want to do is put yourself on a convenient bus route or near a stop of one of the hop-on hop-off buses.

With more information on your plans/tastes I'm sure you would get more helpful answers.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:16 pm

Cape Town will be at its most frenetic around Christmas. Forget about a ghost tow; worry about the opposite.

OP, when you say you want to be in the centre of the action, it would be helpful if you could specify what sort of action you're into...
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I stayed at the Park Inn downtown last week, a nice location that is definitely walkable to Long Street and the city center, a bit longer walk to the Waterfront. The Park Inn has a free shuttle to most spots around central Cape Town, a nice perk. It's very near the hop on/off bus stops, but that only runs till about 7pm, and only clockwise around the city.

If you stay at the Park Inn, ask for a room in the front - fantastic views of Table Mountain.

There are lots of cheaper hotels in the Long Street area that looked fine as well, and that is a more active area with lots of restaurants and bars. The Waterfront is usually hopping, too.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Thanks, everyone, for your input on my trip. It was fantastic, saw a lot of things, got a lot of good hikes, bike rides, and canoeing in, as well as feasted on delicious beef, kudu, ostrich, seafood, and Afrikaans specialties. Great wines, and really enjoyed the Castle lager. Cozied up to a couple of lions and a herd of elephant at Addo. Got some fantastic pictures of the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point.

Took an interesting township tour with a local educator and saw the other side of the tracks, too, kind of eye opening.

I'd be happy to refer people to some of the local guides who helped out with all of this if you're interested.

Cheers,

Doc
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Sorry, but a bit off-topic. Can you give me your thoughts on activity level over Christmas time? I will be in CPT for four nights beginning Christmas day. Will most shops, etc. remain open in the immediate days following December 25th, or will it be a ghost town.

Thanks!
As noted above Cape Town is heaving with tourists at that time. However, Xmas Day and Boxing Day (called the Day of Goodwill now) are both public holidays so anything that closes on a public holiday will be closed. That includes shops except those in malls (like the V&A Waterfront) and any others that usually operate 7 days a week. Restaurants are typically open though some family establishments may close. Popular things like the cable car will be up and running - but it is worth checking specific sites or activities to be sure. A ghost town it will definitely not be!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Sorry for the lack of info. I actually started to look a bit more and the Waterfront seems to be where the majority of the action is based on most Hotels being there. Would this be like the nerve center of Cape Town? Want to be relatively close to the action.
I think the Waterfront is as close to a tourist nerve centre as we have. It has lots of shops, and restaurant and accommodation options. It is also where the Robben Island ferry leaves from. The restaurants and clubs on the Green Point main drag are in walking distance as is the city if you are up to a 3 to 4 kilometre walk each way.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
and really enjoyed the Castle lager.

Not my choice, but yes, many people enjoy it.

Now, for the big question - a TR in the offering??
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by roadwarrier

Not my choice, but yes, many people enjoy it.

Now, for the big question - a TR in the offering??
I'll try to get one assembled.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:28 pm

5 Nights in Cape Town

What is the weekend scene in Cape Town like? I am very flexible for 5 days in my visit next Spring but definitely feel like I should experience what things are like during a full weekend as far as restaurants/nightlife go or am I better off spending those nights on weekdays? Just want to make sure everything is fully operational on weekends and how the vibe changes as far as what part of the week goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.