Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone hired a car in MRU?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Anyone hired a car in MRU?

Being a fav holiday route for us FTs, I'm guessin some have hired a car out there.

Do you recommend I book locally or not? Is it easy to navigate given hotels are an hr from the airport?

I'm looking forward to the freedom of exploring the island ^... but I do have to catch the ealry morning BA flight home... so not looking forward to the early morning drive to the airport...
Old May 16, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
It's been several years but the worst car I have ever been given by a hire company was in Mauritius ... I can't remember which company it was, but it was one of the major international chains .. just arranged it locally .. the car was a Maruti (Indian Build Suzuki) 800cc with over 100,000km on the clock (must be some feat in Mauritius!) and no power steering !

Apart from the awful car hiring was fine .. roads aren't that bad, distances are really small enough, drivers are sane enough and it's a good way to escape the hotel and see a bit of the island ... having a crappy car was part of the adventure I guess too !
Old May 16, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I hired a Mini Cooper Convertible via AVIS (AVISBA actually) and it was great. It was very reasonably priced and it made the trip far more fun.

It is very easy to navigate in Mauritius there just aren't that many roads anyway and the island isn't that big. If your hotel is too the North of the island e.g. the Oberoi you can get most of the way on a dual carriageway. Only the West Coast is more painful (e.g. Sofitel, Hilton, Taj at Flic en Flac) as you need to negotiate a sizeable town en route to your destination.

I strongly recommend hiring a car but make sure you get the right car. The AVIS website was a little quirky offering cars which just weren't there, only when I spoke to the local agent was I able to get things resolved.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:29 am

I've just been to Mauritius, hired a car from AVIS, it was the worst car I have ever been given by any hire company save from rent-a-wreck in the US. And bear in mind that I do rent cars 20+ times a year.

It was an 8 year old Toyota Corolla with over 130,000km on the clock!
The clutch was worn out and was slipping in top gear going uphill.

The only motorway on the island goes straight through the capital, Port Louis, it is not elevated so avoid during rush hour.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:40 am

There seems to be a theme developing here

I too had an awful hire car from Avis in MRU. I wanted a Mini Cooper Convertible, but they didn't have any available, so got a battered old Mitsubishi something-or-other. In the end, we didn't mind, as we blended in a bit more (as much as you can with tourist reg plates on), and I wasn't too worried about if we picked up a knock or scratch or two when driving in Port Louis!

I ordered in advance via AvisBA I recall. Didn't pick up at the airport, but at the hotel (Oberoi) a couple of days into our stay. It was handy to pick up and return direct to the hotel.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
I used
http://www.car-hire-mauritius.com/
It worked out cheaper at the time than any "well known brand" and the car was a Yaris Sedan, which is not much of a gift, but it does its trick and get your from Point A to Point B...
Old May 17, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver,
Interesting, I am going out on May 27th for a week, wasn't sure about hiring a car as we booked airport transfers via the BA website.

Would like to see some of the island rather than take tours, but these comments have made me think. We are at the Four Seasons, and haven't even checked that they have a car hire desk, but would be surprised if they don't.

Ummm
Old May 17, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It was 7 years ago so my memory is not too good. Cannot recall any complaints about the state of the car. Fairly sure it was AVIS so maybe they have not bought any new cars since then ?

My complaint was about the local speed limit (something like 40 mph on their main dual carraige highway even). A bit of an issue getting from the north of the island to the airport for the early morning flight back to London. I have never checked in so late for a flight in my life. Being in F help. In fact, I recall, the whole F cabin was checking at the same time - using all the F , CW desk. All the other pax had checked in earlier.

Driving on the main highway along the coast is fine. Driving on the narrow country roads getting across the island is challenging in terms of lack of signs. Made it an adventure getting to our dinner reservation.
Old May 17, 2011, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
It was 7 years ago so my memory is not too good. Cannot recall any complaints about the state of the car. Fairly sure it was AVIS so maybe they have not bought any new cars since then ?
probably not

[QUOTE=KenJohn;16399857]
My complaint was about the local speed limit (something like 40 mph on their main dual carraige highway even). A bit of an issue getting from the north of the island to the airport for the early morning flight back to London. [QUOTE]

It is 110 km/h on most parts of it now, but going from the airport speed is reduced here and there because of roadworks.

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Driving on the main highway along the coast is fine. Driving on the narrow country roads getting across the island is challenging in terms of lack of signs. Made it an adventure getting to our dinner reservation.
It is indeed very easy to get lost, a GPS would be very useful but I didn't manage to find a map for my Tom Tom, I read somewhere that there are maps for Garmin though?

There's at least 100,000 old Indian Ashok Leyland buses driving around, each one of them pollute more than an average size town in western Europe, and you're likely to be stuck behind one for a lot of time when driving on the narrow roads, or during rush hour in Port Louis or any of the other towns.

Originally Posted by Galahad5389
Interesting, I am going out on May 27th for a week, wasn't sure about hiring a car as we booked airport transfers via the BA website.

Would like to see some of the island rather than take tours, but these comments have made me think. We are at the Four Seasons, and haven't even checked that they have a car hire desk, but would be surprised if they don't.

Ummm
seems like a lot of people arrange private tours with taxi drivers, no idea how much it cost
Old May 17, 2011, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
seems like a lot of people arrange private tours with taxi drivers, no idea how much it cost
I have been lucky enough to have visited Mauritius three times over the last 4/5years. On the first two holidays we decided not to hire a car but instead hired a taxi for £50 quid approx (for the whole day). That was from the Maritim Hotel in the NW of the island. You can strike a far better deal speaking to the drivers direct who are usually based just outside of the gates of the hotels IIRC. Do not to ask the hotel to arrange it for you as they will charge you about double.

It was great to do it this way they know all the local knowledge and will take you to wherever you want to go. You tell them what you want to see and be quite insistent about this as one we had asked if we wanted to shop at a certain place for which I am sure they get a small fee for.

It was much less stressful than driving about yourself and our drivers/guides have always been very helpful and friendly. You don't have the hassle of parking and you tell them how long you want them to wait. It was a great way to explore the island. One day we did the South/West and North and the next time we explored the east.

The island itself is small only about 42 miles X 29 miles approx and there is an abundunce of info on the tripadvisor site. As someone said avoid Port Louis at rush hour at all costs! Firstclasslad PM me if I can assist/advise any further.
Old May 17, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
It is indeed very easy to get lost, a GPS would be very useful but I didn't manage to find a map for my Tom Tom, I read somewhere that there are maps for Garmin though?
TomTom maps are available, though you have buy the whole of Africa
Old May 17, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
Originally Posted by PETER01
I have been lucky enough to have visited Mauritius three times over the last 4/5years..
A bit off topic, but in my world this is not lucky. It's the most boring place on this earth I have ever been. Whilst it's pretty on the eye, the food/entertainment is below par.

The likes of Bali or Barbados beat it hands down (haven't trief Fiji or Maledives yet).

It's on my list of 3 countries I would never visit again.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by johnny5a
TomTom maps are available, though you have buy the whole of Africa
I don't think Mugabe would comply.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by helahela
A bit off topic, but in my world this is not lucky. It's the most boring place on this earth I have ever been. Whilst it's pretty on the eye, the food/entertainment is below par.

The likes of Bali or Barbados beat it hands down (haven't trief Fiji or Maledives yet).

Its funny how different people see things differently. I'm going to MRU for the first time this summer and really looking forward to it. I've been to Barbados and while I'd not say I'm never go back, its not on my "can't wait to return" list.

I suspect we all sometimes take our own experiences and, at some level, assume others will think the same, but it doesn't really work like that.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by helahela

Well, once was enough, MRU is all about fancy resorts and luxury tourism rather than spectacular sights.
I'd rather go to Réunion, which has spectacular scenery but no fancy hotels, than re-vist MRU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.