Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nigeria

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
I lived in Lagos for 3 years not too long ago. Feel free to PM me with any questions. There are things to do if you can arrange some security.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by aragno
I lived in Lagos for 3 years not too long ago. Feel free to PM me with any questions. There are things to do if you can arrange some security.
thanks a ton - my travel is booked (less than 36hs on the ground) but will definitely ping you if some questions appear.

thanks again
have a good day
mfk
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:22 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
It would be a shame not to visit a local market (any market in Lagos); organized confusion. Sample some "granot" (ground nuts = peanuts), have some roasted yam (if it's in season) with salt... If you head towards the seaside, you will find tons of locals selling stuff from necklaces to wood carvings, fabrics and things made out of tin cans. Be ready to haggle (as soon as they give you a price, divide by 3 and tell them that is your final offer. If they continue to argue with you, walk away ). Do not; however, wear any expensive watches or jewelry (rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc) when you're out and about. There are a good number of restaurants to eat at by the way but you will never "see" them that easily as most are behind walls and closed doors (usually in a gated compound), so ask whomever you happen to be visiting there. Enjoy Lagos and all it has to offer
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Unhappy Lagos Airport transit hotel needed.

I have a short trip to Abuja next week. Arrival in Lagos is around 8pm. Need to stay near the airport for connecting flight to Abuja next morning . Has anyone recently stayed over at a decent/safe hotel that is between the international arrivals and the domestic terminal? Sheraton is way too expensive to be considered.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
I have a short trip to Abuja next week. Arrival in Lagos is around 8pm. Need to stay near the airport for connecting flight to Abuja next morning . Has anyone recently stayed over at a decent/safe hotel that is between the international arrivals and the domestic terminal? Sheraton is way too expensive to be considered.
I've put crews on short layovers at the Welcome Centre by the international airport. No major complaints. Cheaper than the Sheraton, but still expect to pay at least $200-250.

http://www.welcomecentrehotels.com/
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:02 pm

Come on folks - Nigeria is not that bad! Yes Lagos is hectic but opportunities in this populous country are great. Just look at the mobile operators - they are doing quite well here, and my often frequented Indian restaurant in Abuja doesn't complain either :-)

We'll be setting up a division of our Danish based strategic innovation consultancy in Abuja in September.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Thank you B747-437B for the link. Made a reservation. Will give a feedback/report.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mogensen
Come on folks - Nigeria is not that bad! Yes Lagos is hectic but opportunities in this populous country are great. Just look at the mobile operators - they are doing quite well here, and my often frequented Indian restaurant in Abuja doesn't complain either :-)

We'll be setting up a division of our Danish based strategic innovation consultancy in Abuja in September.
Don't think it's that bad but also agree there isn't much to do from a tourist perspective, even though there are some interesting restaurants/nightclubs if you know where to go. If you know of anything else worth seeing, please let me know, as it'd be great to have some diversions on my next trip.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: LH FT, Flying Blue Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GoldCircle

Fly with Arik Air. LH does their maintenance.
Please do you know this for a fact?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:16 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Certainly last year for sure; anything can change though.

http://www.arikair.com/MEDIA-CENTRE/...,-repairs.aspx
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:03 am

Suggest you be a little cautious with Arik Air due to some issues lately.

11 August : Nigerian authorities seize Arik Air plane in court case

21 July : Arik Air Passengers Stranded in Senegal - Authority Grounds Plane Over Debts

17 March : Arik Air plane impounded in South Africa
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Suggest you be a little cautious with Arik Air due to some issues lately.

Wow, with all of these issues afflicting Arik of late it dont matter who does their servicing for them. Thanks for the heads up ^
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What do some of the experts use for transport to and from the Lagos airport? I'll be staying at a Victoria Island hotel.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
What do some of the experts use for transport to and from the Lagos airport? I'll be staying at a Victoria Island hotel.
http://www.lagoscabs.com/ seem to be a quite reliable outfit.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I ALWAYS use a colleague from the hosting firm. I've never had a Nigerian taxi firm that I trusted to the point of re-using, or allowing to collect me. The hosting company understands this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.