Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America or Africa
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each countrys destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As a follow up, no Yellow Fever certificate was needed. Since the transit was short and we remained airside, ground personnel in SEZ did not require any documentation from us. Hope this info might help others in the future!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Delta
For future knowledge, even if you going into the country, you won't be checked for your vaccine. I went with a group of 12 in July just after the yellow fever scare, and we were not asked for our cards as we entered Ethiopia.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by clscholes
For future knowledge, even if you going into the country, you won't be checked for your vaccine. I went with a group of 12 in July just after the yellow fever scare, and we were not asked for our cards as we entered Ethiopia.
For us, the issue was not trying to enter Ethiopia, but it was an issue of transiting a country with yellow fever (Ethiopia) on the way to the Seychelles. Upon arrival in the Seychelles, we were asked how long we had been in Ethiopia. We answered that we were only transiting for about 4 hours so we were allowed to proceed directly to the immigration counters, but others were asked to produce their yellow fever vaccination certificates.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, Delta
Yellow Fever Requirement for Transiting ADD

Ah...I see. We thought we wouldn't be able to enter so we all had them, but I can see why that would be a problem for you going to another country.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
Yellow Fever Requirement for Transiting ADD

I've never seen it asked for in Ethiopia. I did have to show my yellow fever card in Ghana and rwanda. Ghana had a clinic ready to administer at the airport-but I'd choose my local Walgreens.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Yellow Fever - was in Ecuador two years ago

I cannot seem to get a clear answer on this point anywhere on the net!

Is there some time limit beyond which Yellow Fever shots are not required?

I was in Ecuador two years ago and plan to visit South Africa this year. Will they notice my Ecuador stamps in my passport and require a vaccination certificate, or does one need to have visited the YF country some short time before the trip to South Africa?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:08 am

Depends on the country, but usually just days. Here is a link to the Seychelles which just requires proof if you were in a zone within 6 days.

ETA CDC says for South Africa you only need proof if you are arriving from a yellow fever country. if you arrive directly from the US you should be fine.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gj83
Depends on the country, but usually just days. Here is a link to the Seychelles which just requires proof if you were in a zone within 6 days.
Indeed. I realise that. I found info about India and Australia as well, but I am looking for something specific to South Africa - preferably something official which could be shown if there are any questions asked.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:20 am

Here. Here is a PDF from the government of South Africa. Sorry for the PDF, but it's from the official website.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:12 am

Here. Here is a PDF from the government of South Africa. Sorry for the PDF, but it's from the official website.
I found something similar on their website. However, it only relates to travellers coming from Yellow Fever affected areas. Do I assume from the wording that this means they are coming DIRECTLY from such an area, but if they were there a long time before that is is not needed? The Australian and Indian leaflets state this specifically.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:18 am

You get sick in 3-6 days. If you visited Ecuador 2 years ago and are flying directly from the US or transiting in a yellow fever country for less than 12 hours you are fine.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:30 am

"If you recover from yellow fever, you will be immune to the virus for the rest of your life." - http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/he...y/yellow-fever

It's not like Malaria (which is not a virus) where you have it possibly forever. You have yellow fever, you get sick, you get over it. Like Chicken Pox, measles, and certain other viruses that have vaccines.

So if you visited a Yellow Fever country 2 years ago you have no way to transmit it to South Africa.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
You have yellow fever, you get sick, you get over it.
Or you get sick, you die. Why not just get the vaccine?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by mikebg
Do I assume from the wording that this means they are coming DIRECTLY from such an area, but if they were there a long time before that is is not needed?
That is certainly the intention. As others have noted the time during which you would be infectious is very limited so the officials have no interest in your long past travels.

I have travelled to yellow fever areas in the past and only when returning directly from them have I been asked for my inoculation certificate - never on the dozens of other times I have entered ZA.

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Or you get sick, you die. Why not just get the vaccine?
Because he isn't going to a yellow fever country?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: LH FTL
Which coutries (don't)follow WHO recommd. of no boosting of Yellow Fever Vaccination?

WHO issued a statement that there is no need for boosting yellow fever vaccination as a single shot is supposed to confer life long immunity.

WHO Statement

A friend told me Zanzibari Health Authorities are reluctant to change their policy.

Which countries changed their YF vaccination policy to no boosting?

I heard that Cameroon issued a statement that they do (can't find it).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.