Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America or Africa
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each country’s destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:31 pm
Suspended

I don't understand why a yellow fever vaccination is considered "bureaucratic." Besides, it will last you for 10 years.

Aside from all that, there are reports that Zambia requires entrants to provide proof of yellow fever vaccination. http://thesafaricompany.co.za/travelblog/?p=928 And possibly Botswana.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Dec 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I did an overland trip from Windhoek, across Botswana, over the Zim border to Vic Falls and then I wandered over the bridge to spend a couple more days in Livingstone, Zambia. No yellow fever checks along the way.

I flew back to JNB from Livingstone and wasn't asked to present my yellow fever certificate at the airport. However, I had read that there was a requirement to provide the certificate to enter South Africa.

I'm saying this purely to show my experience - if there's anything about SA border control, they can be very inconsistent so I always like to err on the side of caution where possible.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:52 pm
Suspended

You did that when?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
You did that when?
Whoops I knew I left something out. September this year
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Just get the vaccination

1) it will last a long time
2) why risk your health by not getting it?
3) it may reduce crossing borders a little easier
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:01 am
Suspended

... and avoid the possibility of being forced to get the vaccination at a border crossing, with a questionable needle.

While we're speaking about yellow fever vaccinations, don't fall for the scam at certain airports (such as Dar es Salaam) where employees claim that the vaccination is required for entry to European countries. They offer to give the vaccination on the spot, for an outrageous amount of money.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Thanks for replies.
It seems that lately controls by SA checkpoints have been enforced, though I I'm enclined to believe that land border are different matter than JNB.
However, managed to get an appointment in 2 days with my local Health Office for the shot.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Yellow Fever Requirement for Transiting ADD

I will be traveling from DPS to SEZ (flying DPS-BKK-ADD-SEZ), and the ADD layover is only about 4 hours. I will remain airside in the transit area in ADD, so from what I've read, I don't think I will need a Yellow Fever Vaccination. Can anyone confirm or clarify? Cheers!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
It's an easy vaccine - why not just get it at your local Dept of Health?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL-DM / 2MM, Marriott Titanium, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Redhead
Hi, in some states it is an easy vaccine to acquire. However, not all state Health Dept's will have it in their inventory. For some smaller outpost locations, it is a special order item. And, they need to be licensed federally to administer it.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by gemdigital
Hi, in some states it is an easy vaccine to acquire. However, not all state Health Dept's will have it in their inventory. For some smaller outpost locations, it is a special order item. And, they need to be licensed federally to administer it.
The authority to designate a yellow fever vaccination center is delegated to state and territorial health departments for nonfederal facilities within their jurisdictions.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Redhead
Not sure what "easy" means. It is contraindicated for some folks with certain health conditions.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: DL-DM / 2MM, Marriott Titanium, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The authority to designate a yellow fever vaccination center is delegated to state and territorial health departments for nonfederal facilities within their jurisdictions.
Thank you for the correction Jerry - appreciated!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:50 pm
FSU

Our local Walgreens Drug Store has the vaccine. It was cheaper there than anywhere else, including the local Health Department.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Travel medicine clinics should have it as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.