Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America or Africa
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each countrys destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
From the standpoint of legal entry into countries, all you need is yellow fever vaccination.

Depending on where you are going, others are very likely advised. Hepatatis A and typhoid are standard travel advice for almost everywhere in the world, as is being up to date on routine vaccines (e.g. tetanus). Meningitis C is another frequent recommendation for much of Africa.

I usually look at the CDC web page before calling my doctor's office.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:50 am

Just as a heads up, some countries (though I don't think Switzerland) are now requiring that you show proof of a yellow fever vaccine if you've even been inside the airport in certain countries. (For example, as of Oct. 1, 2011 I believe, you can't enter South Africa without a yellow card if your flight stopped in any country with yellow fever.)

Although it might not affect you for this trip, it might be worth knowing for future trips.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Actually South Africa has required Yellow Fever certs for many years now, depending on your country of departure. And it reality it often depends if you are black or white. White businessmen are rarely asked to produce their cards, although it can happen.

And another reason to have a card with you, even if you believe your routing doesn't require it. There can be last minute route changes and diversions. What if you divert to a place that does require the cards, and you don't have one?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I believe visas on arrival are available at NBO. I was going to purchase a regular entry visa and leave the airport and have lunch with a friend based in Nairobi. I agree, sitting there for such a long time would be lousy. To the person who has had the shot 3 times, I thought that the shot lasted minimum 10 years and thereafter you (maybe) needed a booster every 10 years? No side effects at all? My reading said 5-25% of people get mild side effects like headache and low grade fever. Obviously those side effects don't worry me, just the possibility of severe ones.
Yes, you can get a visa on arrival at NBO. I think the current fee is US$25. Make sure you have new modern bills that have the red ink if you use dollars. You can also use euros or pounds. You can also get a multi-entry visa in town if you are going often to NBO. However even a single entry visa can be used as multi-entry if you are traveling around the east African community.

And yes, the Yellow Fever shot and certificate are good for 10 years.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I've seen it mentioned several times on the LP Thorntree boards that you can buy fake YF certificates in Bolivia. There's got to be other places to buy them, too.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: Relais & Chteaux
Is Yellow Fever vaccine the only thing required?

I'm about to take off my big Africa trip. Incl. Kenya/Tanzania.

A vaccine against Yellow Fever is the only vaccine required or do any countries need proof of any other vaccines?

And how do I proof that I've got it. Do I need international certificate?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by mogensglistrup
I'm about to take off my big Africa trip. Incl. Kenya/Tanzania.

A vaccine against Yellow Fever is the only vaccine required or do any countries need proof of any other vaccines?

And how do I proof that I've got it. Do I need international certificate?

Many thanks in advance!
Unless this has changed recently, no yellowfever vaccine required unless you've been to a yellowfever area before
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by daumueller
Unless this has changed recently, no yellowfever vaccine required unless you've been to a yellowfever area before
There is of course a difference betwen what is require and what is a good idea. Various sites sugggest you are up to date with

Hepatitis B, diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella and polio (many of these you may have had anyway with childhood immunisationprograms but always worth checking)
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Forgot to add, most countries have specific agencies who can advise on the (the advice is free if not the vaccinations) and frankly would be seeking out expert advise rather then on here. Not suggeesting people on FT won't give well-meaning advice but advice on vacinatons does change for time to time and I'd rather take advice on matter such as this from experts. Africa does still have some nasty diseases prettty much eradicated elsewhere and this is not something I'd want to be scrimping on.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
From a legal standpoint, yellow fever vaccine is the only one that can legally be required anywhere in the world. That is why you have to get the yellow card showing it.

Lots of other things are recommended - typically typhoid and hepatitis A. Personally, I wouldn't skimp on those, but lack of them will not get you turned away at a border.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Yellow fever is required by some countries, and a stick (vaccine) lasts ten years - so if one is adventurous and will travel to yellow fever areas, a good preventive vaccination to have (along with diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus. Polio is unknown in developed nations, but is still around, and as an oldster, some of my friends had polio - from a gimpy leg to full iron lung experiences - and are sometimes now dealing with nasty post-polio syndrome. A working malaria prophylaxis or presumptive treatment is also useful to take in many tropical areas in the world.

In any case, I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television - but I do take care of myself in places like Africa or Papua New Guinea... some excellent information sites for Anglphones:

link to International Assoc. for Medical Assistance to Travellers

link to U S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ("CDC") Travel Health

link to Public Health Agency of Canada Travel Health

link to United Kingdom National Health Service Travel Health

link to Australia Government smartraveller health

link to World Health Organisation yellow fever information

link to WHO PDF sheet on country yellow fever requirements

link to WHO International Travel and Health book (viewable and downloadable)

link to IAMAT (International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers)

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 26, 2011 at 10:07 am Reason: update links
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: Relais & Chteaux
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yellow fever is required by some countries, and a stick (vaccine) lasts ten years - so if one is adventurous and will travel to yellow fever areas, a good preventive vaccination to have (along with diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus. Polio is unknown in developed nations, but is still around, and as an oldster, some of my friends had polio - from a gimpy leg to full iron lung experiences - and are sometimes now dealing with nasty post-polio syndrome. A working malaria prophylaxis or presumptive treatment is also useful to take in many tropical areas in the world.

In any case, I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television - but I do take care of myself in places like Africa or Papua New Guinea... some excellent information sites for Anglphones:

link to International Assoc. for Medical Assistance to Travellers

link to U S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ("CDC") Travel Health

link to Public Health Agency of Canada Travel Health

link to United Kingdom National Health Service Travel Health

link to Australia Government smartraveller health
Thank you very much for your advice.

I will only stay in some of the finest hotels so is all these unknown vaccines needed? Isn't that only neccesary if you go to small villages and are a lot among the local people?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:51 am

I will only stay in some of the finest hotels
Diseases are no respecters of luxury accommodation or those using it! For your own safety make sure all your regular vaccinations are up-to-date, get yourself vaccinated against Yellow Fever and start your course of antimalarials before you travel, during your travels and at the end of your travels when you return home as prescribed by your doctor.

Much better to be sure of the quality of what you are taking in the way of medicines, and hygenic vaccination conditions. You don't want to find yourself arriving in a country and being taken aside for a jab as a condition of entry because you weren't prepared in advance.

Be safe. You only live once. And have a great trip.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:48 pm

yellow fever query

Hello friends, i would be traveling to Zambia in the next 10 days. MUMBAI - Nairobi- Ndola from Kenya airways. There is a flight change from nairobi.

The flight time difference from nairobi to ndola is 4 hours. i.e i ll have to w8 at the airport for around 4 hours. the flight stops at Lubumbashi (Democratic Republic of Congo) before arriving at ndola.

How many days before traveling to Zambia do i need a yellow fever vaccination?
is there any specific requirement of any countries above that u need to take the vaccination atleast 10 days before?

I heard Kenya requires yellow fever vaccination certificate.

Last edited by harishbiyani8888; Dec 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm Reason: link to other forum
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Amazing how mosquitoes just don't care how upscale the accommodation is. An acquaintance who operated one of Kenya's most upscale lodges (in the highlands, so he felt the altitude was sufficient to eliminate the possibility of Anopheles mosquitoes and their Plasmodium falciparum malarial parasites,) died of cerebral malaria because he did not understand that.

And though you may be in a fine lodging, perhaps the cook's assistant, who did not feel up to telling the boss he has been feeling ill because he was afraid of being dismissed, has been passing on his Salmonella typhii typhoid bacteria to guests in their salads or crudites.

The other problem is that if the vaccination is required for entry to a country, the health authorities will not care where one is staying - but they may do the stick themselves, which can lead from things like inadequate protection because the vaccine is too soon to take effect to lapsed or poorly stored vaccine to improperly cared for needles - think hepatitis, HIV, etc.

Much easier and safer to be properly prepared and get active vaccine from someone you know is properly equipped at home, than an eager but not properly trained or supplied health aide in a developing country - though that can happen at home too, it's less likely. (One corpsman once administered me many times the recommended dosage of plague vaccine - I was a bit under the weather for a couple of days, but it could have been worse.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.