Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America or Africa
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each countrys destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Michael
See? It doesn't say that the traveller must have a certificate of vaccination -- just that if the traveller doesn't have one, the receiving state may (not shall/must) take certain measures (isolating the traveller).

I do now and apologize for not reading the document more thoroughly and questioning what you said. However, I ask that you remember that until you explained that you do have some expertise in international law and knowledge of health regulations, the only thing I knew about you was that you are in Dar es Salaam, and your earlier post was rather terse.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Fair enough -- and no need to apologize!

(My earlier terseness can be chalked up to a busy day....and the fact that I generally read far more than I post.)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:02 am

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
South Africas yellow fever policy - revised

My husband and I received the following message from our safari company in regard to our South Africa/Zambia/Botswana trip in early July:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) has revised the Yellow Fever vaccination recommendations for Africa. The South African Department of Health has subsequently issued a statement indicating their intention of implementing the following requirements for travelers from and to South Africa:

Returning travelers from South Africa to Zambia and those travelling from Zambia to South Africa will now require proof of Yellow Fever vaccination. Previously, proof of Yellow Fever vaccination was not required.

All in-transit passengers between the two destinations, irrespective of the time period in transit, will also require proof of Yellow Fever vaccination.

Source: South African Society of Travel Medicine (SASTM)

Although there still seems to be some discrepancy on the date of inception of the above recommendations, we highly recommend that all travelers to Zambia, even if you will not be leaving the airport, obtain a Yellow Fever certificate prior to international departure from their residence in case of sudden implementation by the Department.

Please note, that the date of this requirement has not yet been determined, the CDC and WHO websites do not offer any additional information on this issue."

Travelers immunized against Yellow Fever are issued with an internationally recognized vaccination certificate for inspection by immigration officials. This certification is valid for 10 years. The international health regulations concerning Yellow Fever are unequivocal, and unvaccinated travelers may face denial of entry, or even quarantine in certain circumstances.

Vaccinations clinics are available at airports in Livingstone, Zambia at US$80.00, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe at US$50.00 per person, and in South Africa at ZAR 430.00 (approx. $64.00) per person, subject to change."

If you have plans to travel South Africa-Zambia- South Africa soon you might want to look into getting a yellow fever vacination before you leave home to avoid possibly having to get one upon arrival in Zambia.
Luckily, my husband's and my yellow fever certificates are up to date due to prior trips to Africa.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As reported here in a few threads, South Africa often requires yellow fever certs when arriving from other African cities. But it's a sometimes yes, sometimes no thing. And sometimes they only ask the black people, but not the whites. When traveling in Africa, you should always have this cert. If you never end up needing it, count yourself lucky.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: Amex Gold Pref. Rwds, Mariott Gold, AA Gold
Yellow Fever update?

I've been searching for updates on the yellow fever policy but have not found anything definitive. Does anyone have any information that they can share?

I will be flying from JFK to JNB, JNB to CPT

My issue is CPT to LVI (livingstone Zambia) which once I land will be transported via car to a safari camp in Botswana.

Then from Maun to JNB, JNB to JFK.

Any help?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said above, you should always carry the cert with you. Because you never know what you will get when you cross the border. There is no policy that you will find on the Internet. This is Africa and there is no consistency in this regard.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by byb310
I've been searching for updates on the yellow fever policy but have not found anything definitive. Does anyone have any information that they can share?

My issue is CPT to LVI (livingstone Zambia) which once I land will be transported via car to a safari camp in Botswana.

Any help?
Although the OP's quote said that SA has the "intention" to implement, there is no time frame noted. I would suggest you go ahead and get the vaccination to be safe. I don't know about NYC, but any clinic (hospital) in SA can do this for you, so if you'll be spending time in CPT before flying to LVI, you can get the vaccination there. The mere fact that you're touching Zambia means that you'll need the vaccination proof if/when SA decides to implement this. I *have* had to show my vaccination proof *once* upon arrival at JNB (out of a dozen or so flights from required countries), but you don't want to be one of the people that is forced to get vaccinated upon arrival in SA.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
I don't know about NYC.
Unless things have changed, you can get a Yellow fever shot and certificate anywhere in the US for free or maybe $20 or so at the most.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stimpy
Unless things have changed, you can get a Yellow fever shot and certificate anywhere in the US for free or maybe $20 or so at the most.
Things have definitely changed.

I've never heard of yellow fever vaccines in the USA for free. They run $130-200 and are generally only available at a limited number of clinics. Oh, and I had to make an appointment a few days in advance as they have to get it delivered from a depot and it must be injected in a limited time frame or it isn't effective.

The guy who did mine in NYC was quite nice and I'd be happy to pass on the info if anyone wants. I think it was $175 and insurance is not accepted.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Things have definitely changed.
You are correct. And you're very diplomatic. I could learn from you.

When I tried to get one in the USA in 2005 it was such a PITA (and inconvenient and so much more expensive than in SA) that I finally just went to the Sandton Medi-Clinic during lunch and got it done there quickly and cheaply.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:42 pm

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
My yellow fever shot cost about $170.00 ( 3 years ago) and I had to make an appointment to get the shot at one of the designated yellow fever vaccine clinics in my state.

The CDC has a list of US clinics on its site: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-f...ics/search.htm

Last edited by east_of_the_sun; Jun 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did mine about 9 years ago, and I guess that means it will soon be time for a new one. I got it in Palos Verdes, CA for around $20 and it was very easy. That CDC site that east_of_the_sun noted is a good one. You can use that to shop around if you are in the US.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Years ago, I went on a safari trip from SA up to Kenya. The tour guide had his own little stamp with which stamped and then signed the vaccination certificates of those who had failed to get their shots. Worked like a charm.

I was also once given a fake 100% official cholera certificate in Holland. Dutch vaccination clinics do not give cholera inoculations, as they consider them unsafe. Instead, they stamp the certificate and add the letters N.I. (niet ingent = not inoculated).

Johan
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by byb310

Any help?
I've gotten a warning from my travel agent about this. I'll be traveling to Zambia this weekend. The information I've found says that SA will be implementing these policies end of June.

http://www.mysafari.com/forum/clarif...frica-269-view

Given your itinerary, I would assume that the SA authorities would require that you have a Yellow Fever vaccination upon arrival in JNB from Maun given your stopover in Livingstone. Bear in mind that it takes 10 days for the vaccine to take effect, so you can't wait until the last minute.

Double check with your safari operator or camp.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by escog
Bear in mind that it takes 10 days for the vaccine to take effect, so you can't wait until the last minute.
SA immy is not going to care about the date of the vaccination - they just want to see proof that that the traveler entering the RSA has had the vaccination within the 10 year period for which the vaccination is good.

SA immy checking on the vaccination is spotty at best, however better safe than sorry (sorry = being detained and given the shot on arrival in SA).

Last edited by TravelinWilly; Jun 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm Reason: Clarity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.