Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America or Africa
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each countrys destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Old May 7, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: DL,EK
I think it would be better to endure the "bureaucratic hassle" of getting a vaccination, rather than getting yellow fever which would be no fun at all.
Old May 7, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I think it would be better to endure the "bureaucratic hassle" of getting a vaccination, rather than getting yellow fever which would be no fun at all.
Getting yellow fever in Kenya as a tourist is far more difficult than getting the shot.

"Our offices are not teeming with returning travellers with yellow fever. It is rare in travellers. I have never seen a case in Canada, nor heard of one being imported. The best estimate of the risk, according to CDC, is 5/100,000 people travelling to South America for 2 weeks, and 50/100,000 per person travelling to West Africa. That makes a 2 day trip to Iguassu Falls in Brasil, or a two day trip to Porto Maldonado in Peru a very low risk. East Africa, including countries such as Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia (woops, there has just been a report of a Yellow Fever outbreak in Ethiopia!!!) , is probably much less of a risk, if a risk at all. The rationale for continuing to vaccinate travellers to these regions includes tradition, the fact that the mosquito vectors may still be present there, uncertainty about what the local authorities might “require”, and personal risk tolerance."

Source

Johan
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:10 pm

Yellow Fever Jab [needed for Ethiopia ADD transit]?

Hello all,

Do I need a yellow fever Jab if I am just transmiting through Ethiopia (inside airport only) ?

My flight is BOM - ADD , ADD - ORT

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:19 pm

Which airport is ORT?

If you meant JNB:
http://www.southafrica.info/travel/d...ver-040215.htm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sabasi
Which airport is ORT?

If you meant JNB:
http://www.southafrica.info/travel/d...ver-040215.htm
Sorry JNB. Thank you so much for the info. As it turns out I do not need the same as my transit time is much less than 12 hours

Cheers

Last edited by AllAboutFlying; Sep 8, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
Sorry JNB. Thank you so much for the info. As it turns out I do not need the same as my transit time is much less than 12 hours
What if there are delays or canceled flights? Then you could get forced to pay for a shot at JNB. Much better to get it done at home and have the certificate good for 10 years. Depending on where you live it might be free.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:14 pm

It's a live virus vaccine and contraindicated for some.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
It's a live virus vaccine and contraindicated for some.
Since the OP is asking if he needs to get the jab, chances are he is not one of those.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:53 pm

Many people do not know what kind of vaccine it is and that some should not get it, at least not as a "just in case" measure.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Many people do not know what kind of vaccine it is and that some should not get it, at least not as a "just in case" measure.
I've never heard that from a medical professional. Unless of course the customer has had previous issues with vaccinations, which the doctor asks about before the injection. Pretty much every vaccination is "just in case".

I have heard such nonsense from Jenny McCarthy though.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:58 pm

Thanks guys, Wont be taking it now that I know that it is ok to not take it if the transit time is less than 12 hours.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

Yellow Fever vaccine is good for ten years, and may soon be approved for longer times than that. For many, it is an uncomplicated vaccination, but it must be administered at an approved venue that can issue a "yellow card" stamp for it.

Those for whom yellow fever vaccine is contraindicated - as indicated by their health professional, not a travel website like FlyerTalk, can secure a letter stating it is medically contraindicated to have a yellow fever vaccination. The letter will be accepted by most health authorities in the world.

The OP asked a question, and has made a choice.

This is not the best place to discuss pro- and anti- vaccination; such discussion has been removed. Please let the thread move on with everything that has been said and not hijack with further discussion pro- or anti- vaccine.

Thank you,

JDiver, a Senior Moderator

Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:23 pm

Yellow Fever Vaccine valid only 10 days after vaccination

I just had my Yellow Fever Vaccination, but the certificate of
vaccination is only valid 10 days after. I am flying to South
Africa before the validity starts, & my transit is more than
12 hours in Addis Ababa. Will I have issues?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Hey_You
I am just another online internet nerd, but.....

So many of these "paper checkers" are just making sure you have a piece of paper. Wonder how many actually look at the effective date?

I might also note that some have reported that if you do not have the paper, they make you get a shot on the spot. So, when does THAT shot become effective? Just asking.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Hey_You
I was in Kenya before arriving in South Africa last year.

Despite multiple border crossings by car between South Africa and four different countries — as well as the flights in and out of South Africa — not one official even bothered to look at my Yellow Fever Vaccination certificate...

...and when I purposely included it in the passport, they would immediately give it back to me as though it was irrelevant.

I am simply imparting my experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.