Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Tanzania trip Jan 07 - Jan 22.

Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG,United Mileage Plus, HHonors

I will be heading to Tanzania and staying at my friend's house. I will confirm with my friend but is luggage safe when arriving in DAR? I am flying in on Emirates.

Also any suggestions on things to do?

Thanks,

Phil
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:08 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
I haven't had any problems with luggage upon arriving here in DAR, including when I've had luggage arriving without me (e.g., when it was delayed at the transiting airport and didn't make it onto the DAR flight).

That said, if you're taking a taxi to your friend's place, be sure to lock the doors and have the windows rolled up to within a few inches / 10 cm of the top -- some thieves may try to reach in an open window and grab your belongings; the passenger is usually too stunned to react quickly (this happened to a colleague of mine).

For things to do: all depends on your interests and available time and budget. Some options:
- shopping at markets, either more upscale (e.g. Slipway) or local (e.g. Mwenge);
- having a drink while watching the sunset (Slipway is good for this);
- heading to the beach (beaches in town are not great, but there are great ones not too far away. Kunduchi is one the better ones IMO - around 45 minutes away)
- short trips (1-2 days or more) to Zanzibar, Mikumi Natl Park, Bagamoyo, South Beach (can also be a day trip)
- wandering through the city center / Kariakoo market area
- eating at a local BBQ ("nyama choma") joint

I'm sure your friend can also assist with ideas.

Note that traffic here can be a pain, so much also depends on where you're staying and what your tolerance is for sitting in traffic (worse during rush hours, of course).

Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again Michael!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I would agree mostly with Michael, although I never bother to roll my window up in the car. I don't put an expensive watch on though. I've never had any problems in Dar.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
I don't usually bother adjusting the windows in a taxi either, but I do take care to keep my belongings safe - laptop bag on the floor between my feet, cheap watch or watch off my wrist, etc.

That said, in the past year two colleagues were robbed in/near their cars: one from a taxi (taxi was stuck in traffic and they snatched through the window and got her purse/laptop bag which had everything) and the other one who stopped by the side of the road very close to a police station (snatch theft, running away, disappeared before she should react / call the cops). So I think the advice may be sound.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:00 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I've been to Tanzania many times and never felt "unsafe". Then again, I was always met at the airport by a driver. I've always flown Emirates to Dar and never had a problem with my luggage. Do try to visit Zanzibar if you are the type that likes to kick back and just enjoy some R&R at the beach.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

wow Thanks all!!! I will be heading to Zanzibar as well.. I will be posting pics and a short video of the trip on the forum.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastbmx
wow Thanks all!!! I will be heading to Zanzibar as well.. I will be posting pics and a short video of the trip on the forum.
Are you back?
How was it??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.