Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by fincastle84
We're flying CPT-JNB with Comair followed by JNB-LHR with BA so we'll check our bags straight through. When we last did this there was a handy little transit check in upstairs in the domestic terminal at JNB. Does anyone know if it still exists?
Sounds as if you are referring to a long time ago when JNB was undergoing its major reconstruction? In any event the route to check-in is now as described in posts 37 and 38 of this thread.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Guide to Connecting at JNB

Flying JFK-FRA-JNB-WDH. Flying LH to JNB then SA to WDH after a three hour layover.

I'd like to check bags all the way through even though there is a long layover in FRA. Do you trust SA to transfer the bags from JNB to their flight or should I collect them in JNB and re-check? How much of a hassle is this? Thank you.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: LOTS
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Sounds as if you are referring to a long time ago when JNB was undergoing its major reconstruction? In any event the route to check-in is now as described in posts 37 and 38 of this thread.
Yes, it was 4 or 5 years ago. Thanks for the heads up re posts 37 & 38. I now understand the route from International to Domestic & as we only have a couple of hours when we arrive from LHR it will be very useful.

As for the reverse, I'll have plenty of time to make sure that we don't miss our connection so I'll either ask on the day or just follow the signs. We're using the BA lounge so waiting at JNB won't be a problem.

Thanks again for your help. At least I now know that the route about which I inquired no longer exists.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: BA; SAA
Originally Posted by pduck01
Flying JFK-FRA-JNB-WDH. Flying LH to JNB then SA to WDH after a three hour layover.

I'd like to check bags all the way through even though there is a long layover in FRA. Do you trust SA to transfer the bags from JNB to their flight or should I collect them in JNB and re-check? How much of a hassle is this? Thank you.
There should be time for this. Living in Zim, we have been using JNB as our hub for years now, and we book through all the time. With 3 daughters in the States, between Michigan and California we have transited about every way possible. Even though we have had delayed bags, it is astonishing how often it is the European airports at fault, or, at the international receiving airport in USA. Once when arriving in Cincinatti, we rechecked our bags (3 in total) to GRR, only to arrive some hours later with 1 out of 3.

So, my advice, check your bags through. Use a TSA approved lock if you must, ziploc ties work great, or, even better, one of those nylon ripstop covers that pull tight over your bag.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:23 pm

Would just like to add my experiences of checking my bags through JNB twice this summer when flying business. I flew ORD-FRA-ZRH-JNB-EBB and had a few hours layover in JNB. I had checked two bags and they were the first two come out in Entebbe with no issues. On my return, I checked a bag NBO-JNB-SIN-SFO with ~16 hour layover in JNB with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to connect/check my bags through JNB again.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
I would like to ask the community for advice. I am arriving to JNB on LH at around 9:40am from FRA. I want to continue to PLZ (Port Elizabeth). This will be a different ticket.
Possible flights are: 15:20, 17:30 or 19:40 departing JNB. It seems either of these is fine, unless my incoming flights goes MX in which case I'm screwed anyways.

Question 1: Is there anything interesting I could do during a 10 hour layover? See some of JNB (what?)? If so, 19:40 JNB->PLZ seems like a good choice.
Question 2: Does LH interline with SA? I understand from this thread that if they do I still need to re-confirm my bag at the transfer desk to make sure it will be loaded onto the onwards flight.
Question 3: If I cannot or chose not to interline the luggage for reasons outlined in this thread, can I re-check it right away in the morning, or do I need to wait till a certain time before departure?

Bonus question, if someone knows, is there anything interesting to do in Port Elizabeth after arriving there at 16:50, assuming I'd take the earlier flight?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Zeehe
I would like to ask the community for advice. I am arriving to JNB on LH at around 9:40am from FRA. I want to continue to PLZ (Port Elizabeth). This will be a different ticket.
Possible flights are: 15:20, 17:30 or 19:40 departing JNB. It seems either of these is fine, unless my incoming flights goes MX in which case I'm screwed anyways.

Question 1: Is there anything interesting I could do during a 10 hour layover? See some of JNB (what?)? If so, 19:40 JNB->PLZ seems like a good choice.
Question 2: Does LH interline with SA? I understand from this thread that if they do I still need to re-confirm my bag at the transfer desk to make sure it will be loaded onto the onwards flight.
Question 3: If I cannot or chose not to interline the luggage for reasons outlined in this thread, can I re-check it right away in the morning, or do I need to wait till a certain time before departure?
LH does interline with SA. I would assume they have to since they're in the same alliance. I think you'd have to recheck the bag though since it's going to a domestic flight in SA. You should also be able to recheck it in the morning if you want to. I remember overnighting in JNB, but I was only able to check in to my flight the next day four hours prior to departure. It was an international flight, so i'm not sure how they do it with domestic flights.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If JNB is not your final destination, LH's arrival time is pretty useless, as you miss the entire morning bank of departures. AF is even worse, not to mention KL's late evening arrival. Flights from Europe that arrive before 7 a.m. offer the widest choice of connections, as does CX from HKG.

Johan
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
If JNB is not your final destination, LH's arrival time is pretty useless, as you miss the entire morning bank of departures.
Yes, I realize that, but well, that's the way it is. Hence my idea of seeing something rather than sitting 6 to 10 hours at JNB airport. I'm still not so sure what is possible/reachable, so suggestions for a half-day programme would be very welcome.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Zeehe
Yes, I realize that, but well, that's the way it is. Hence my idea of seeing something rather than sitting 6 to 10 hours at JNB airport. I'm still not so sure what is possible/reachable, so suggestions for a half-day programme would be very welcome.
I see now there is also a 13:05 departure. That is of course just 3:25 h layover for connecting two different tickets, so I'm not sure how risky this is. Advice is welcome, I've never been to Johannesburg and I don't know about the typical delays on the FRA-JNB flights.

Edit: flightstats shows a standard deviation of 7.5 minutes, maximum of 30 minutes delay of LH572. How reliable are flightstats statistics?

Edit: The fare rules (K) say its a changable fare at no cost, but do not say anything about noshow. I am trying to figure out what would happen if I come in heavily delayed, would I lose the ticket value?

Last edited by Zeehe; Oct 25, 2013 at 4:29 am
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3h25 is fine, plenty of time.

In my exeperience there is plenty of slack in the Europe - SA flight schedules. Flights that depart late can often make up for quite a bit of lost time en route, often up to 45 minutes.

Johan
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:43 am

Connecting SAA with Air Botswana

I carefully read this thread (as several others) but still have a question:

I want to travel WDH-JNB-MUB connecting at JNB by changing from SAA to Air Botswana. Tickets are on two different PNRs; time between scheduled arrival at JNB and scheduled departure will be 2h20m (early afternoon).

I assume - even if interlining should theoretically exist - I can't check bags through to MUB. I also assume that I need to get my boarding pass for Air Botswana flight in JNB which (depsite the baggage issue) concerns me most.

Air Botswana says minimum check-inn time for JNB 2h. Is there a way to manage this when having international-international connection? Can I pick up my bp at transit desk (is there a counter for Air Botswana?)?

On the other hand I read it would be best to clear immigration / customs and collect bags at baggage reclaim. Then normal check-inn procedure. This would mean there is no chance at all for the 2h minimum check-inn constraint... ;-(

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Thomas
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
I believe there is still a transit desk for Air Botswana at JNB. Perhaps give them a call to find out what the process is: +2711 921 6489
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:00 am

Thanks for the reply!
What still puzzles me is the 2h check-in constraint. Is it really followed strictly? In this case I would have nearly no chance to get the air botswana flight in jnb when previous saa flight is scheduled to arrive in jnb "only" 2h20m before air botswana departure!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by flyzone
Thanks for the reply!
What still puzzles me is the 2h check-in constraint. Is it really followed strictly? In this case I would have nearly no chance to get the air botswana flight in jnb when previous saa flight is scheduled to arrive in jnb "only" 2h20m before air botswana departure!
Can you OLCI before or is this offered?

Having a BP in hand (from HKG G16 lounge) was helpful for rechecking bags at the SA desk that CX refused to keep tagged with SA to CPT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.