Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 25, 09, 2:46 pm   #1

International Transfers at JNB - ?Customs?

Hi,
I'm wondering, if I have a layover at JNB and am booked on a SAA flight am I required to clear customs just to make it to my next international flight?

For instance, if I wanted to travel from Botswana to Namibia via JNB on SAA would I need to get my passport stamped upon arrival at JNB?

I am going to be traveling quite a bit in Africa and would like to use JNB as a hub for many of my layovers, but I don't want to be taking up 2 pages each time I pass through.

I will not have any luggage.

Thanks in advance.
liamfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 09, 3:17 pm   #2
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels and TravelBuzz!

Programs: DL
Welcome to Flyertalk, liamfm. I am moving your thread to the Africa Forum for discussion. (Travel & Dining>Destination: The World>Africa).
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 09, 7:11 am   #3

Programs: VA Gold, VN Titanium, BA Blue
I suspect you don't need to be stamped in and clear customs if you are in transit between two other countries (not sure though, so others might be able to advise). If you are travelling from Windhoek to JNB to CPT then you will need to clear customs in JNB and recheck your bags.

Unless you need a visa, the South African authorities will give you a half page sticker on arrival which allows you to come and go as you please. Then you get small square and round stamps on each entry and exit. You won't go through many pages, even if you do land.

Old Oct 26, 09, 3:55 pm   #4

Thank you.

Thanks for showing how this worked for you - that makes my job a lot easier.

We won't be stopping in JNB, just passing through, so chances of going through customs are 50/50 (until someone else chimes in), but I'm glad to see that if we do have to clear customs it won't take ANOTHER 2 pages.

Thanks again.
liamfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 09, 7:18 am   #5

Programs: SA KL BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamfm View Post
Thanks for showing how this worked for you - that makes my job a lot easier.

We won't be stopping in JNB, just passing through, so chances of going through customs are 50/50 (until someone else chimes in), but I'm glad to see that if we do have to clear customs it won't take ANOTHER 2 pages.

Thanks again.
Please don't confuse CUSTOMS (where they check if you are bringing unauthorised goods into the country) and IMMIGRATION (where they check or stamp your passport / visa), although in this case the answer is that you will go to an International transit desk and straight back into the departures are and should not need to pass through either customs or immigration.
thijsseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 09, 7:07 pm   #6

Programs: DL DM (MM), SU Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
Please don't confuse CUSTOMS (where they check if you are bringing unauthorised goods into the country) and IMMIGRATION (where they check or stamp your passport / visa), although in this case the answer is that you will go to an International transit desk and straight back into the departures are and should not need to pass through either customs or immigration.
Great point. Customs and Immigration are indeed different beasts though at JNB both are non issues best I can tell. I went through both yesterday with no issue at all (they do take your temperature now before allowing you to step up to the immigration desk btw). I have Russian colleagues arriving from London today transiting with no checked bags to a SAA flight to Lusaka. I'll note their journey and try to post back what their step by step journey is. I think it will be arrive, transit, check in for the future flight and head to the gate. No customs and no security. If that varies I'll report back.
woody125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 09, 3:30 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody125 View Post
no security.
Last time I transited at JNB there was.

Johan
johan rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 09, 12:51 pm   #8

Programs: DL DM (MM), SU Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Last time I transited at JNB there was.

Johan
Right you are:

When transiting, you...
Land
Go through immigration
Enter the transit area
Get boarding pass for your onward flight (if less than 3 hours before your flight)
Pass through security (though you don't need your onward boarding pass to get through)
Proceed to departure area

Very easy set up they have there. Made my first trip to Africa memorable for some very unexpected reasons (like sanity of movement).

Last edited by woody125; Nov 11, 09 at 5:03 pm.
woody125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 09, 2:26 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
JNB is relatively easy for international transit, IIRC 60 minute minimum connection time. (I issued tickets yesterday that were 65 minutes and didn't have a problem.)
Old Nov 21, 09, 9:34 am   #10

Programs: UA GS 1MM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone know minimum transit time when booked on separate airlines and tickets (i.e., arriving on SAA and departing on Air Bots? (I'm guessing the minimum transit time of 60 minutes may assume you're on the same ticket and therefore already checked in for your connecting flight)

Thanks!
worldcupfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 10, 10:12 pm   #11

I am also intersted in minimum connection times and transit. We are considering a British Airways ticket to VFA from JNB in August - will be arriving a 9:45am on an Air France flight and the BA flight departs at 11:25am. Does Air France and British Airways have a baggage check agreement? Would love to get out of JNB withouth having to stay overnight and leave the next day.
AndrewNewOrleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 10, 1:52 am   #12

Look here Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
Old Jul 15, 10, 7:53 am   #13

Programs: UA MP - 1K (MM), Delta - Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt-Diamond Marriott Rewards- Gold, Hilton - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleff View Post
JNB is relatively easy for international transit, IIRC 60 minute minimum connection time. (I issued tickets yesterday that were 65 minutes and didn't have a problem.)
Just to offer a contrary example - I just transited thru JNB this week.

SAA IAD-JNB transferring to SAA JNB-WND

With exactly 1 hr connect time - arr 1705 dep 1805. When I checked in at IAD they wouldn't (couldn't) issue my WND BP - perhaps because I was actually ticketed as the UA code-share flight.

So we land at JNB about 5 min late. Of course, we get put in remote parking. I was in C so right off the plane, on the bus to the terminal. Did have to go thru an Immigration check (they stamped my passport) and show up at the SAA Premium transfer desk at 1725 - 40 min before flight. The guy at the desk picks up and calls and asks "Can we take any more for 078 (my flight #)? Answer comes back "no" - he looks at me and shrugs and says "sorry". Well I did not want to spend the night in JNB (I knew if was the last WND flight) and I raised a minor ruckus . Finally a lady heard me - the main thing I was saying was that I was full-fare C pax (true) and how could they a) not know I was coming in on 208, and b) it was still 40 min before the flight and their rules are to be at gate at 20 min. They tried to say the flight closes at 1 hr. I then said - "then you sold me a ticket that was physically impossible to check-in on-time (unless the flight arrived 20+ min early).

Well finally the lady goes back, calls, comes and gives me my BP and says - run!!

Well I made the gate, they take me out on the bus, to the plane sitting right next to the A340-600 I got off!! Of course ,my bag, although checked thru w/ priority tags, did not make the flight. They did deliver 1st thing next day.

I have had previous problems with SAA transfers - so just my advice would be get 90 min+ connect times (if possible)...YMMV
rwm818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 10, 8:31 am   #14

Programs: BA BD SA
A cautionary tale, indeed!

This part intrigues me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm818 View Post
Did have to go thru an Immigration check (they stamped my passport)...
Why would they need to stamp your passport?
Cheetah_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 10, 4:37 am   #15

Programs: FB Ivory, Amex MR
Because he didn't manage to get his boarding pass for the Johannesburg - Windhoek segment in IAD
dracularsa is offline   Reply With Quote