Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Gold Circle/AerClub vs. BA Executive

Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Can anyone tell me is it better to use Aer or BA as frequent flyer programme based on my travel.

I'm based out if Dublin. Usually travel 15 times /year to UK with Aer Lingus, 2 times per year long haul with BA out of London to East Asia.

At then moment I have long haul points going to BA, short haul to Aer. I could have the Aer also go to BA programme, would that make sense?

Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is no Aer Club yet and we still don't know the details of how it will actually operate.

As Aer Lingus is not yet fully integrated into IAG, let alone oneworld, for the timbeing you would probably be as well off putting your shorthaul EI flying on EI and your longhaul BA (presumably?) flying on BA.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
I'd leave as is short haul to Aer Lingus and long haul to BA. This is what I do. Once Aer club is launched and we know more details I will decide if I change.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
If you can maintain the 2400 points required to make status with EI, keep with EI, you can earn points on BA if you have reached Gold status, so if you are Gold and close to Prestige (4800) keep going as if you have a flight EI onto BA via LHR sold by BA at Prestige level you can use the lounge in LHR

The lounge, check in, priority security at DUB and LHR with EI are good and you will get a lot of use out of them

BA won't give tier points on EI flights unless you purchased under a BA code, and its nearly always cheaper buy a single ticket with EI than BA on Dublin - London. 2 round trips on BA long haul is not going to get you even close to BAEC bronze unless you are paying for WTP or CW
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:53 pm

All,

New poster here, so excuse me if I'm in the wrong place. I am relocating to Cork from Denver where I am United/Star Gold. I'm posting here because I think I'll get the most concentrated knowledge around Cork and Ireland, not necessarily because I am sold on Aer Lingus. I am thinking most of my mileage accrual will come from trips back to the US- to Denver as well as some other scattered places- NYC, ORD, IAD and occasionally the West Coast. I'll also be traveling to Duesseldorf a fair amount.

On a few of the trips that I am looking at to get to Cork to get oriented (admittedly odd itineraries: MSY-ORK, returning ORK-CHO-DEN), United isn't even registering in the search (hipmunk). American/Aer Lingus is.

So, my question: should I attempt a status match with BA? With AA? With Aer Lingus even given the uncertainty outlined above? Or am I best off trying to grab the next United rung this late in the year, and then making a move next year?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:03 am

Go with BA over AA.

This will give you lounge access in ORK when flying on EI.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except it may be difficult to get BA to match status....they typically don't.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES SM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I got a status match from Delta Platinum to BA Silver for this year. I am Dublin based and had been a Platinum with Delta for years.

Worth a shot, I sent the Executive club a long letter
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's worth a try. Particularly when you can show your past travel patterns and explain that, as you are moving to Ireland and your old airline doesn't work so well for you from ORK, you could potentially swap all that business over.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
They do it on a case by case basis or via a Rep in your local sales office. Usually if you are connected to a major corporate travel account or they can clearly see you intend to move a decent amount of business to them.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:12 pm

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to make one (inconvenient) trip by United in order to roll over to Platinum so I can make a better case to the BA Executive Club powers that be when the time comes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.