Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Around the world in a long weekend?

Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG-P

Hi all,

I am hoping for a little help on this one, to see if anyone has any brainstorming ideas:

I am about to hit my million status miles with Air Canada in four weeks. I have a weekly commute for work from Eastern Canada to Western Canada that costs about ~$1000/week within country. I can use this budget each week as a flex trip to fly to any other destination for the weekend (or an extended weekend) instead of home as well.

Initially, I thought that following the million status mile milestone I would use the $1000 to just fly as far out as I could on that amount, and back, based on what locations were cheaper that given weekJapan, London, etc. Obviously depending upon the length I would take a Friday and/or Monday off too so I could do a Thursday evening departure and Tuesday morning arrival if the location required it.

After looking at the emails on seat sales and such, I was surprised to see that the distance I could travel given that I dont have a preference of location really. With seat sales I could fit some locations in that were basically the other side of the globe. That got me thinking that maybe there was potential that if I watch seat sales, and was flexible in which weekend I would do it, I could actually do a flight around the world on that price, travelling to a specific location across an Atlantic route, and returning across the Pacific.

Problem is, I dont know if such locations exist, or if Air Canada routes all of their flights to a specific location through the same direction. If flights originating in different sides of the country took different routes, I could just close the gap with an additional ticket within Canada. That could work if its the case that Vancouver to Bangkok flights for instance go across the Pacific, but Halifax to Bangkok take you across the Atlantic.

So, my criteria is this:
- A $1000 round ticket (really it will be two $500 tickets since starting and ending location may need to be west coast Canada and east coast Canada to influence the direction of the flight)
- Need a destination city that I can get to over one ocean, and return from over the other (changing departure and return cities within Canada as needed to make that happen)
- The more stops the better, but not necessary, nor more important than cost
- Heres the tricky part: I would like to find a flight that has a matching aeroplan route so I can take someone with me
- Leave on a Thursday evening at earliest
- Arrive on Tuesday morning at latest

Just curious here if anyone knows which cities could potentially fit the bill. I have done a lot of looking but havent come up with one yet.

Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG-P
I apologize. I meant to post this in the 'Air Canada / Aeroplan' forum. Is it possible to move?

Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Just click the red triangle "alert a moderator" at the side of the post and they can relocate it for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.