Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class meal choices

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Business class meal choices

I looked through some of the threads before posting this, but if I missed one, I apologize.

I'm booked to fly EI BOS-DUB-LHR next week in business class (followed by AMS-DUB-BOS two weeks later).

What will the meal choices be? Can anyone post a recent menu? I'm traveling with someone who doesn't eat meat (but does eat seafood) and doesn't eat eggs. I'm debating recommending a special meal.

Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:50 am

Flew that route in Business Class last week. The Menus changed on the 1st of Aug. so maybe they're just slow updating the website they normally have the details there.

DUB-BOS was Bacon & Cabbage or Irish Stew or Fish Pie. I can't eat Bacon & don't like Irish Stew (I'm Irish) so had the Fish Pie & had to send it back. Completely dried out.

BOS-DUB was more what I was expecting: Beef, Chicken or Seafood Mac & Cheese. Could have eaten any of the options, had the Seafood Mac & Cheese it was pretty good.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Von B
Flew that route in Business Class last week. The Menus changed on the 1st of Aug. so maybe they're just slow updating the website they normally have the details there.

DUB-BOS was Bacon & Cabbage or Irish Stew or Fish Pie. I can't eat Bacon & don't like Irish Stew (I'm Irish) so had the Fish Pie & had to send it back. Completely dried out.

BOS-DUB was more what I was expecting: Beef, Chicken or Seafood Mac & Cheese. Could have eaten any of the options, had the Seafood Mac & Cheese it was pretty good.

Do you have a link to the menus? (as I can't seem to find them on the site). I'm flying next Tuesday - DUB-BOS. Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:32 pm

That is enough to not have me fly EI. Notice it is EX USA. Guess it is to give our American cousins a taste of Ireland before they land. Someone needs to tell them that Irish Cuisine has moved on. Most folks here don't eat Bacon and Cabbage even on St Patrick's day
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:45 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Von B

Aggggh, what are they thinking of.
Fair enough to have one traditional option on the menu but this is not a good move. I am flying later this month and was looking forward to the steak - which is always good on EI
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by eireman

That is enough to not have me fly EI. Notice it is EX USA. Guess it is to give our American cousins a taste of Ireland before they land. Someone needs to tell them that Irish Cuisine has moved on. Most folks here don't eat Bacon and Cabbage even on St Patrick's day

I wonder if you can ask for the Bacon & cabbage, and ask them to leave the bacon off the plate?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Someone needs to tell them that Irish Cuisine has moved on. Most folks here don't eat Bacon and Cabbage even on St Patrick's day
Well I quite like Bacon & Cabbage, in fact it's one of my favs ^
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Most folks here don't eat Bacon and Cabbage even on St Patrick's day
I always make sure to have it when I'm home! ^

Or with turnips rather than cabbage. ^^
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:01 am

Haha reminds me of a funny thing that happened once. I met some American tourists in Dublin who asked me where they could have the above and I really could not think of anywhere and said to them its not really eaten that much anymore here. Later that night I was at my neighbours and her Mum was cooking just that and we had a good laugh. I told her that she should start a business for the tourists.

Ireland is very much multi cultural these days and you are more likely to have a curry or a chinese meal than bacon and cabbage especially in main cities. I think when you go to rural Ireland you see more traditional food being consumed.

That being said as others have suggested it is quite tasty. Sometimes you just want the basic tried and tested. In this case Aer Lingus should offer one traditional Irish option and one more international one.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Haha reminds me of a funny thing that happened once. I met some American tourists in Dublin who asked me where they could have the above and I really could not think of anywhere and said to them its not really eaten that much anymore here. Later that night I was at my neighbours and her Mum was cooking just that and we had a good laugh. I told her that she should start a business for the tourists.
I was stopped on O'Connell Street in Dublin a good few years ago by an American couple, just as the St. Patrick's Day parade was finishing, and they asked: "Can you recommend any good restaurants close by...like McDonald's?"

I should have sent them to Supermacs but I indicated that they were spoiled for choice on that very street...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
St. Patrick's Day parade
St Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin ? Your such a tourist

Maybe Aer Lingus should start serving gourmet food such as Supermacs onboard. We already have the crisp sandwich.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:30 am

I'm sitting in Business Class on EI at the moment and the menu is the same as above. Bacon & Cabbage, Lamb Stew and Fish Pie. Disappointed there's no steak lol.

Edit: Ex DUB by the way.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
Originally Posted by Shamrock125
I'm sitting in Business Class on EI at the moment and the menu is the same as above. Bacon & Cabbage, Lamb Stew and Fish Pie. Disappointed there's no steak lol.

Edit: Ex DUB by the way.

The food options I can understand to a certain degree but why are they serving winter dishes in summer?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:07 pm

Any one know what kind of options you get if you order a Business Class special meal? I was thinking about the vegan choice ...

Last edited by Wembleygal; Aug 13, 2015 at 1:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by HarryBA
The food options I can understand to a certain degree but why are they serving winter dishes in summer?
All I can think of is what has been said previously, to have a somewhat Irish offering ex DUB. That and it is meant to be a "lunch" service to tie in with the stateside arrival time. I had the Stew and, in fairness, it was pretty good in the absence of the steak. It's something different, you're not going to see these choices on any other airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.