Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

New Executive Lounge "51st&Green" after US Pre-Clearance

New Executive Lounge "51st&Green" after US Pre-Clearance

Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:18 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
It is quite peculiar that EI at their home airport offer such a poor offering in their own lounge and then send business passengers to experience a superior product with a third party (in this case DAA) operator.

One would have thought they try to up their game at the GC lounge but apparently not.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jcm9000
I asked the lady at the door and that is correct, just elite and prestige (or business of course). She also mentioned united j flyers can bring a guest, AA just mentioned elites get in (i assume sapphire and emd).
FWIW - I'm a BA Gold / OW Emerald, and I got in fine with a guest, while travelling on AA in economy, with a codeshared Finnair flight number! Was a few weeks ago, so maybe I was lucky & they've firmed up the rules, but was quite impressed.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

What's in the bags?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:43 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by irishguy28

What's in the bags?
Coffee (proprietary blend for the lounge). Gift for those on the tour.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Air France Platinum for life
I was able to bring a guest in when flying out of Dublin on Delta. I'm currently Elite Plus with Skyteam which apparently will give me access to that lounge no matter which class I'm in
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:53 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Also available now pay as you go access for a mere €39 pp https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the...51st-and-green
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Does BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire) flying MCE get access?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
MCE is treated as coach for lounge access purposes.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
I assume MCE is American's Main Cabin Extra. If flying on American, a BA Silver/Sapphire gets access to the lounge irrespective of the cabin class. I asked a contact at AA the other day and they went to find out and confirmed this was the case.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
I assume MCE is American's Main Cabin Extra. If flying on American, a BA Silver/Sapphire gets access to the lounge irrespective of the cabin class. I asked a contact at AA the other day and they went to find out and confirmed this was the case.
Yes flying out on America to JFK, I automatically get updated into Main Cabin extra as a Silver.

Great to hear I have access to this lounge, takes the stress away when sitting in the normal DAA Lounge about when to go down.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: Aer Club Platinum, BAEC Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Given the amount of publicity from about this new lounge, we were looking forward to the experience.

A place where Ireland & America connect
The lounge is truly unique as it's under US jurisdiction yet still on Irish soil. The name, 51st&Green, is inspired by this theme of intersection. It represents the place where Ireland and America connect - the 51st State of America and Green for Ireland and Dublin Airport.

In the words of Dublin Airport Authority:

51st&Green is an exciting new lounge concept by Dublin Airport for passengers travelling to the United States.
Located after US Preclearance in Terminal 2 and beside the US departure gates, it is a 'world's first' as it is the closest airport lounge to an active runway.
The lounge is 750 sq m with the capacity of seating 180 people. It is located at ramp level and the design maximizes the natural light and the views of the runway activity. The layout of the lounge is inspired by Newgrange and the 32m entrance corridor slopes into a bright open space acting as a decompression zone and enabling customers to instantly relax on arrival.
Complimentary access for Aer Lingus passengers is restricted to Business Class ticket holders and Prestige & Elite Gold Circle Club members. The entry fee of 39euro is substantially higher than the DAA lounges which adds to it’s exclusivity.

51st & Green is located beside gate 406, and is clearly signposted. Entry is through sliding doors, down a gradual slope where a very pleasant lady welcomed us as Aer Lingus Business Class Passengers, and explained that food and drink were self service and complimentary. No mention was made of the additional menu which is chargeable.
First impressions are of a bright, white almost clinical area, The white paneling on the walls is very similar to that used in industrial kitchens (mainly for hygiene purposes). The lounge is very large, bright and offers great views of the apron and the aircraft parked thereon.

Soft drinks and a selection of salads, soups, bread rolls, smoked salmon, duck terrine are nicely displayed on the counters, along with some baked goods and biscuits paid out in wooden serving trays. Some of the biscuits look very like those served in the DAA lounges (in packets). A small range of beers, wines and spirits is available from an attended counter which doubles as a coffee bar.

DAA state that the coffee is specially ground for the 51st & Green lounge by “Cloud Picker”, a micro-roastery located 9kms from the lounge. It is good to see local businesses being supported in such a way, and I can confirm that the espresso I sampled was excellent.

I asked at the bar/coffee server if it was possible to have some champagne. I was amazed to be told that the lounge did not stock champagne. Surely a premium lounge should carry champagne? I would have been quite happy to pay for it, but was unable to do so.

The newspaper rack contained two (used) copies of the Irish Independent newspaper. Nothing else whatever being available, this is a poor reflection on DAA, and most unsatisfactory from a customer perspective.

There is a wide range of seat types, some facing runways, some in quiet clusters. Numerous power points are in place to charge mobile devices.

However there is no business area, no computers for guests to use (to take advantage of the advertised “printing facilities”). In fairness, the receptionist was quick to offer to print any documents which I could email to her. A very nice gesture, but surely a premium lounge should have at least one or two PCs for guests to use and print whatever they need without having to resort to emailing the receptionist?

During the course of our (two hour stay) we sampled some of the foods on offer. DAA publicity describes the food :

Our food ethos
We offer a wide range of healthy and nutritious dishes, with an emphasis on fresh, seasonal produce. Our dishes have been specially selected to showcase Irish food with an American twist.
Dishes include Kenmare Smoked Salmon, New England Clam Chowder, Irish Coastline Fish Pie and Macaroni & Cheese.

Pea and ham soup was hot and flavoursome, but served in a narrow mug is less than ideal.

The cakes were quite pleasant, but there seemed to be a distinct shortage of bread rolls. For over half an hour, the basket was virtually empty. Given the relatively low numbers of guests in the lounge, this was disappointing.

Also disappointing was the lethargic approach taken to clearing tables.

My wife visited the ladies, and was most surprised to find one cubicle out of order already!

One grave omission during the two hours we spent in the 51st & Green was the failure to display the menu of cooked to order hot meals mentioned in DAAs’ publicity(which are chargeable), or to make any mention of their availability during the several interactions we had with many of the staff on duty.

Once our flight was ready for boarding, it was a very short walk to the departure gate (406).

We have mixed views about the 52st & Green Lounge. The views of the runways are excellent, and the lounge itself is a very pleasant place to wait for a flight. The pricing structure ensures that there will be ample seating for all guests.

However, the negatives are many:

• Lack of newspapers or alternative reading material
• No business centre
• Toilets out of order
• Slow replenishment of basic food items
• Slow table clearance
• Complete failure to offer any of the meals described on DAA publicity.

The burning question is whether I would visit this lounge again…..

As a paying guest, it is highly unlikely that I would do so, given the issues raised earlier. The 51st & Green is an excellent concept, but badly let down by poor service delivery.

My Aer Lingus Gold Circle Club status grants me access to the 51st & Green instead of the Gold Circle Lounge. In view of my experience, I would be happier if I was offered a choice of lounges, rather than being directed to the 51st & Green.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by pat jordan
The lounge is truly unique as it's under US jurisdiction yet still on Irish soil.
It may be unique in the way that it's the only lounge of this type on Irish soil, but it's far from the first lounge that's in a post-preclearance area.
Such lounges exist at AUH and many Canadian airports with preclearance. I guess if they built the same type of lounge at SNN, the DUB lounge would lose its "unique-since-it's-the-only-one-in-Ireland" status.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Lounge access is now €35, and still not worth it!

I should have stayed in the EI lounge.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Business Traveller

It isn’t the sort of space you could get very enthusiastic about, but if you are there for a couple of hours waiting for an onward flight, I can see the money would (just about) be well spent).

There is complimentary wifi and a few magazines and newspapers, though again, nothing to get excited about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.