Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Finally taking advantage of BOS-DUB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

So I've got a trip planned to Boston in May 2015 with my wife. Figured I might as well add on a trip to Dublin We're using SW pts and companion pass to get from LA area to Boston and Boston to LA area on way back.

What do you think about the itinerary below?

FYI, United award availability matched up perfectly with BA/Aer Lingus (except for biz class - United showed a couple biz seats available but BA rep said no).

Saturday May 2 - SNA-DEN-BOS on Southwest - leave at 6:45 am, arrive at 4:55 pm (7 hr 10 min) - 17,907 SW pts

Wednesday May 6 - BOS to DUB - leave at 9 pm, arrive at 8:05 am (Thurs. May 7) - EI 138 - 25,000 pts for 2 people plus $119 taxes

Tuesday may 12 - DUB to BOS - leave at 11:50 am, arrive at 1:45 pm (same day), EI 137 - 25,000 pts for 2 people plus $119 taxes

Tuesday May 12 - BOS-ATL-LAX - leave at 4:45 pm, arrive at 10:15 pm - 8hr, 30 min - 11,981 pts

(back-up SW flight at 6:30 pm)
Uber back to OC

We could do the exact same trip one week earlier (already checked availability), but we'd have to leave for Dublin on Tuesday so 3 days Boston, 6 days Dublin.

I was hoping to snag business class seats on EI but the rep said he didn't see any at all for any days, is this normal? Is biz class worth it on a 7 hr flight? I know it's only 7 hours but I think their new lie flats will be available and I have a lot of Amex pts that I'll be transferring so wouldn't mind splurging if it's a real nice product/worth it.

The other thing I just thought of is that we can come back on any route, we don't have to go through Boston. Is there a better way to do it? I have miles on lots of other airlines but I think I'll have to take EI from Dublin to BOS or Dulles in order to get the good redemption rates right? Also want to take advantage of SW CP.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
I was hoping to snag business class seats on EI but the rep said he didn't see any at all for any days, is this normal? Is biz class worth it on a 7 hr flight?
It's such a short flight, business class is not much to fret about. Chances are you'll actually be aloft for only 6 hours, perhaps less.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 pm

if you had AA miles you could do this for 40,000 miles r/t each with one stop. s.t.a.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by eireman
if you had AA miles you could do this for 40,000 miles r/t each with one stop. s.t.a.
Stopovers not allowed on AA anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.