Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Another month another strike! (30 May 2014) (16 & 18 June called off)

Another month another strike! (30 May 2014) (16 & 18 June called off)

Old May 20, 2014, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
No because the crews are (RE) - Stobart crews.
Thank you. I have a CWL to DUB flight on the day of the strike so reassured to hear that Aer Lingus Regional is not affected.

Last edited by Cantonian; May 21, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta PM
Oh man! This is what I get for booking the lowest fare I could find. We are actually scheduled to fly AMS>DUB>BOS Saturday the 31st. I guess I shouldn't worry too much as the strike is on the 30th but this makes me nervous.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Oh man! This is what I get for booking the lowest fare I could find. We are actually scheduled to fly AMS>DUB>BOS Saturday the 31st. I guess I shouldn't worry too much as the strike is on the 30th but this makes me nervous.
You really should have nothing to worry about. Things should operate to schedule on Saturday - but expect all the flights to be packed full!!!
Old May 22, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You really should have nothing to worry about. Things should operate to schedule on Saturday - but expect all the flights to be packed full!!!
That's what I'm hoping. Thanks!
Old May 28, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
The unions and the airline are due to talk before Friday's strike, but it all may come too late for the strike to be averted. http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0528/620...-talks-strike/
Old May 28, 2014, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it is too late now to have any impact on the flight schedule for Friday. Aer Lingus has already made its contingency plans. The St. Patricks strike was called off earlier than this, but the flights that had been cancelled in anticipation remained cancelled.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Even if the strike was called off everyone is rebooked/cancelled. This of course has had a large impact on connections at LHR and LGW to airlines like BA VS AC etc... so the damage is already done. They may carry on and go on strike and have their 5 mins of fame
Old May 29, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Aer Lingus Cabin Crew Strike to Begin at Midnight

Aer Lingus has cancelled most of Friday's flights in/out of Dublin, Cork, and Shannon since as of 10:30AM cabin crew will be forming picket lines at all 3 airports. As many as 28,000 passengers may find their travel plans disrupted. Additional flights have been scheduled for Saturday. This strike is estimated to cost the airline up to 10m.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014...lingus-strike/

H/T Starflyergold
Old May 29, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Yep. Cost your employer 10,000,000 euros, while asking for a benefit! Really shows that the employees are interested in the financial well-being of their employer! Cost customers time and money and inconvenence, while asking for your benefit. Really shows that the employees are interested in good customer service and have interest in people!

I sincerely thank God I have always been a valuable employee so that I never had to join a union or needed to have a union defend the undefensible.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I flew on the 13:05 DUB-EDI today. I did not see any sign of picket lines or any other sort of demonstration. We strolled through bagdrop and security - literally did not have to queue for anything and today was quickest I've ever reached airside going through any airport.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:11 pm
soy

Programs: various
Suspect relations will get even worse and will probably see more strikes during the summer. Mgmt have removed crew travel perks and will dock pay for those who went out last Friday.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0603/621344-aer-lingus/
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
And again 16 & 18 June

On RTE

Two further one-day strikes at Aer Lingus are being threatened by the union representing cabin crew after talks broke down this evening.

IMPACT said it is to issue Aer Lingus management with notice of two further one-day strikes, on 16 and 18 June, after three days of talks ended without agreement.

The union said management had refused to negotiate in good faith and instead issued a "take-it-or-leave-it" proposal, which it knew would be unacceptable to staff because it would mean hundreds of job losses.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold
On RTE
I'm on them 7/4 Dublin to London. I hope this .... doesn't mess up my vacation.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:27 pm

I just found out about the potential strike for June 18, the day we are booked to fly JFK-SNN-BHX. As I understand it, the strike would effect the transatlantic flight only, but the SNN-BHX flight isn't really relevant if we miss the first one.

How much notice would the airline give of cancellations or rebookings? If they rebook us to a different carrier, is it possible/likely I could get them to rebook out of a different airport, one closer to my home than JFK?

And if the airline cancels the flight due to a labor dispute, do they have any obligation to the pax other than a full refund of the airfare? I'm thinking of those prepaid hotel stays and attraction tickets I bought, and wondering how much I'm going to lose on those. I did purchase the Allianz trip insurance offered with the ticket, but it isn't clear on what they cover in the case of trip cancellation due to strikes.

Also, would an Are Lingus strike be subject to EU or US compensation rules for a trip booked out of the US?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will be contacted with your rebooking options if your flight is cancelled. I'm not sure if you would have the option to rebook onto a different carrier - they will instead most likely try to accomodate you on different dates.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Also, would an Are Lingus strike be subject to EU or US compensation rules for a trip booked out of the US?
Flights that cannot be operated as planned due to a strike action are specifically exempted from the normal EU261/2004 requirements for compensation:

Originally Posted by EUR-lex
- (14) As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.