Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Aer Lingus Bid to Upgrade Offer

Starting March 2014 Aer Lingus are offering a "bid to upgrade" offer for longhaul passengers.

Eligibility:

Only flights between Ireland, North America and Canada are eligible to be considered for an upgrade. Not all flights are automatically eligible for an upgrade. Eligible passenger will receive an email shortly after booking inviting them to make an offer.

Only bookings made via the Aer Lingus website, mobile app or via the Customer Contact Centre are currently eligible to make an offer to upgrade.

Full details are available here.
Print Wikipost

New: Make an offer to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Upgrade-Plusgrade?

I just received an email from the upgrade-plusgrade from Aer Lingus on my flight #124 and #125 ORD-DUB, DUB-ORD, minimum bid $420. No u/g on the CLE-ORD, DUB-LHR, CDG-DUB, or ORD-CLE was available. Total cost for all these flights was $900 and change.

Should I give it the minimum bid? If not accepted than no worries, but they want my CC#...doesn't EI already have that info? Is this really legit?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
New: Make an offer to upgrade

I was just on the twitter of Aer Lingus and it seems some people are getting emails asking them to make an offer for an upgrade.

The replies said that this is a new service.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Interesting development!

Perhaps this is the Etihad influence rubbing off...they have a bidding system.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:10 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Full details are here: http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinfor...elf/index.html

Upgrade Yourself Bid now. Pay later.Make us an offer to upgrade your transatlantic economy booking, and you could be travelling in style in our Business Cabin. You tell us how much you are willing to pay, and if your bid is successful, you can savour the Aer Lingus Business Class experience on your flight.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Czech Airlines have been doing this for some time, they call it Plusgrade. You make an offer, enter your credit card numbers, and if they accept, it goes through. Their starting bid for European flights is so high, though, that I never considered the possibility...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Since this question is specifically about Aer Lingus, I'll move it to the EI forum where the experts therein can provide further input.

Please note this thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

I'll try at $420 as that is what I can afford.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by jackal
Since this question is specifically about Aer Lingus, I'll move it to the EI forum where the experts therein can provide further input.

Please note this thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Threads now merged and cleaned up.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 pm

Bid for Upgrade on Aer Lingus

Hello All

Has anyone had any experience with bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus? I recently placed a bid to upgrade for flights coming up in May. Many times I have seen the plane depart with almost empty Business Class cabins. I guess they have recognized that they can get a few extra dollars out of some cheap soul (like me) in economy.

Rxgirl
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rxgirl
Hello All

Has anyone had any experience with bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus? I recently placed a bid to upgrade for flights coming up in May. Many times I have seen the plane depart with almost empty Business Class cabins. I guess they have recognized that they can get a few extra dollars out of some cheap soul (like me) in economy.

Rxgirl
I put in a bid for my flight in November. I bid the minimum amount as that Is all I can afford. Maybe Irish eyes will be smiling on me and I get lucky for once in my life.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
just came back from San Fran and overheard the couple behind me talking about bidding for their upgrade and being successful. I didnt hear how much they had bid however
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
just came back from San Fran and overheard the couple behind me talking about bidding for their upgrade and being successful. I didnt hear how much they had bid however
I can provide one data point for the route. In mid September direct SFO -> DUB and return, the allowed bidding range (min to max) was:

SFO to DUB: $660 -> $1598
DUB to SFO: $630 -> $1585
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The silly season must have started...

Originally Posted by The Irish Times

Aer Lingus passengers bid for upgrade
Airline introduces upgrade auction allowing passengers to bid upwards of €300 for a business class seat

Ahh first class...priority check-in, reclining seats and pre-departure champagne.
First class???
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:40 pm

My mom just won her bid on our NAP-DUB, DUB-BOS flights yesterday. There was no business on NAP-DUB so it was useless there but came in handy on DUB-BOS especially since we had overweight luggage that we just gave to her. She originally bid $350 but got rejected, so she re-bid $400 and found out two days before departure that she got it.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
If anyone has data points on bidding for SFO-DUB-SFO it would be very much appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.