BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by stifle
You will need to have the JFK-MIA on a separate ticket to the others as putting more than one non-BA airline on a BA award ticket results in the award being priced on an extremely expensive all-partner award rate.
I don't think this is true anymore - since November 2011 BA price all awards segment-by-segment, with all rates the same regardless of what airline you're flying. There are no longer different rates for BA awards, single-partner awards, multi-partner awards, etc.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by jimindc
I don't think this is true anymore - since November 2011 BA price all awards segment-by-segment, with all rates the same regardless of what airline you're flying. There are no longer different rates for BA awards, single-partner awards, multi-partner awards, etc.
I'm afraid you're wrong. There is indeed one rate table for awards including at most one partner and another for awards including two or more partners. Please see the relevant information at https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb (Executive Club login required).
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
I'm afraid you're wrong. There is indeed one rate table for awards including at most one partner and another for awards including two or more partners. Please see the relevant information at https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb (Executive Club login required).
I stand corrected! Rather strange, considering that booking the flights individually would virtually always (I think always, but haven't done all the math) result in a lower price.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:09 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by jimindc
I stand corrected! Rather strange, considering that booking the flights individually would virtually always (I think always, but haven't done all the math) result in a lower price.
That should be true.. I haven't done the math to see if there is any sweet spot..

the only issue is, if you have separate tickets, then the airlines treats each journey as a fresh itinerary and hence doesn't accommodate you when one of your flight delays leads to missing the next one, and so on..

(ok I know it's bad english, but you get what I mean, right ..??)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Just booked 2 x J BOS-DUB with avios. Prior to booking, EF showed J9 (u) and UA showed 4+. Now both show zero
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Last week I booked 2 J award seats DUB-BOS. I couldn't get 3 seats despite Expertflyer showing U9. After booking the 2 seats using Avios, Expertflyer showed U0. Just one more data point.

Has anyone had luck as a BA Gold or GGL getting Avios to request a third J award seat on EI? I know AA EXP agents used to be pretty successful at doing that for me back in the day. But I have no idea if BA does similar especially for partners.
Old May 23, 2014, 6:44 pm

Those of you who have booked this award recently, what have been the tax/fee charge? I was using the Avios calculator to estimate fees, and it said ~$250 each way. Is that accurate, or do I have to call BA to get an accurate estimate?
Old May 24, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
use ITA to check

simply do a search on ITA matrix for the one way EI flight - see the taxes and charges applicable there, that should be all you are charged (approx).

BA.COM will NOT calculate correctly.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:58 pm

Just booked DUB-BOS in j for December. Total of $181.72 for two passengers on one booking. Phone booking fee was waived.

BOS-DUB, $111.14 for two people on one booking. This includes a $50 phone booking fee(couldn't get it waived).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:30 am

Wow! Did these fees go up?

(1) I had the same issue about availability: U9 on ExpertFlyer and 4+ on UA. I booked 2 and now U0.

(2) The fees were $148 per person including a $25 phone booking fee. Various blogs were showing fees of less than $50. Seems like their fees have gone up?

(3) Question: how can I select seats on these flights? Doesn't seem to be possible on ba.com, and I can't find the reservation on aerlingus.com
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Get the Are Lingus record locator number from BA and then contact EI to get seats.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The fees are what they are.

Phone Aer Lingus to preassign seats, if you really need to (you don't).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: spg
I've had no luck booking BOS to SNN for four next July in economy. Seems the whole month is blocked, even for one. Tried calling too, no,luck. Any hope?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by kelly622
I've had no luck booking BOS to SNN for four next July in economy. Seems the whole month is blocked, even for one. Tried calling too, no,luck. Any hope?
Have you confirmed that they are flying into SNN that time of the year. I know during the winter they cut a lot of flights to SNN. Being July, I wouldn't think they would have any routes on hold(peak season). Could be possible, most likely not. Just an random thought.

Thanks for the info on calling EI to reserve seats. I would hate for my wife and I to wind up having two seats spaced apart.

Also, how late do they serve dinner in J? We have the late flight out, and it's a little late to be eating. Also, does anyone know how early they serve the breakfast? It's a short flight, and I wouldn't mind getting as much sleep as possible.

Last edited by schwaa; Sep 1, 2014 at 8:35 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dinner service is as soon as practicable after take off, and breakfast tends to start knocking around an hour before landing.

The abbreviation for Aer Lingus is EI. AI would be Air India.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.